Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

Funnily enough along the lines I was about to reply to @H2T2 with.

I personally don’t see why you would want the daily trade sheets in order to copy the Trust/ETF, when you can just invest in the Trust/ETF.

I get it in Ark’s case because you can’t invest in them here, but with BG’s range, the convenience is there.

2 Likes

completely agree. given the miser i’m i would find any way to escape those pesky charges inherent in their prices if i can. else i’m already long on SMT given it’s YTD performance. but ARK, also provides a fun hobby for me in this lockdown, weekly if not daily. my mind runs with statistics and numbers, so why not :slight_smile:

I must say I do enjoy reading their trade summaries, if for nothing other than for inspiration of companies and sectors to analyse. Really enjoy it.

Yes I agree with @Joey_Fantana. The entire reason I am putting my money in BG is to avoid having to manage it myself, their track record seems to speak for itself.

I can see why they would withhold their holdings reports, it gives them a competitive edge.

You can easily replicate most of ARK ETFs here with the Pie feature, but ARK also like to fine tune weightings a lot, so if you really wanted to replicate their ETF you would need to stay on top of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I did do exactly that at one point, but I found that a bunch of companies weren’t available on T212 so I couldn’t full replicate, and even with the newly added OTC bundle, most of them aren’t available within an ISA.

Not sure what you mean about USA’s past performance @Joey_Fantana, it only started in 2018 but so far it’s out performed SMT. It’s up 4% for 2019-2020 and 9% the last year. Sure, not mind blowing and we would have to see results over a larger timescale to draw any conclusions, but so far it’s doing slightly better.

1 Like

hold your horses until BGCG brings its massive premium down

“With this in mind, a general meeting has been called for Nov 26, when shareholders will be asked to allow the trust to issue another 20pc of stock. All else being equal, bringing the premium under control means, of course, a fall in the share price.”

1 Like

Yeah I agree. The NAV on this is around 440, I hold some but will just price down over time

This is very unnerving.
I hold a big position over in my HL ISA.
Can I ask as I do not know? Will this process of releasing more shares significantly reduce the share price? Do we know exactly what will happen?

I’m still in profit in this fund however, don’t like the idea of this news.

But maybe all will be well and is still better to hold on.

Sounds like you’re considering trying to time the market. Completely up to you but won’t it cost you to sell and buy back via HL?

I’ll be averaging down. It’s a long game.

3 Likes

The voice of experience right there :joy:
You are absolutely correct.
Well currently I’m all out of money this month to put any in if it drops too much more, but if it still lower next month I’ll :100: put more in.

Thanks for the comments
Sometimes it’s good to listen to put you back on course.

3 Likes

Completely with you there Joey, the recommended holds of 5 years is in place for a reason.

Admittedly I did not anticipated them diluting existing share holders :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I bought in at a bad time it seems, down 11% on BGCG.

The only fund in the green for me at the moment is USA!

How do people feel BGCG and FCSS (fidelity china fund) measure up? I have a small FCSS position but wondering thoughts on if BGCG would be better.

Yeah I’m looking for a nice china etf/fund to drop into my long term pie and forget about.

Bgcg have access to more than just the public class A shares dont they? And will be able to hold companies i cant buy through t212 isa?

I’ve stayed away from active funds but the Chinese Market seems a lot more opque

Share price = Market Cap / Number of shares.

If they decide to hypothetically release 10% more shares, the share price will drop by 10%.

1 Like

That’s not great. Especially for investors who have been buying in over the last four weeks like me. Oh well. Guess I’m gonna have to wait patiently with this stock.
Thank you for your reply

If you’re investing regularly, perhaps hold off on the next investment until the 26th and see what the result of the vote is and, if a yes vote, the subsequent timeline.

Just make sure your next investment is after the new issue is complete and the 20% drop factored in.

All in it together, brother. :fist:t2: #bgforlifeyo

2 Likes

20% drop! OMG :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil: well I’m too much in to pull out now :joy:

I don’t have a Telegraph subscription but managed to screenshot the article so here you are for full detail. Really nothing to worry about if you’re long;

2 Likes

Thanks :blush: that’s what I really love about this game. Investing. It’s really exciting and you never know what is going to happen. Well I’m happy about it all with BGCG. over the long term it’ll be great. Bit of short term pain, but this is what makes it fun!

Also I just about well diversified to offset.

1 Like

Just to check BGCG stock and SMT are separate right as in through buying one your not. also buying the other? I know they will share some holdings im sure, I mean more like I wouldnt want to go long in BGCG and then also SMT if part of BGCG stock is actually like 10% SMT holding. The link is purely run by one company right?