Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

The only link is that they are from the same company. The BGCG additional shares will no affect SMT

Thanks.

I will look more into both but anyone favour one over the other and why?

Thanks for this, Joey! :+1: I’ll wait till the end of month to start investing in BGCG.

I’d have a read on the website. The biggest fund is SMT, it’s all down to you envisage China’s long term prospects id say.

Well I am bullish on China longterm for sure, hence why I am in FCSS currently.

The full holdings haven’t been published for BGCG yet, but supposedly they should be coming before the end of the month.

I messaged BG regarding the proposed GM and potential issue of 20pc new stock. My query was around the timeline of events, in the event of a yes vote. So length of time between yes vote and issue.

Response was as follows;

"The meeting that is being held is to give authority for the company to issue shares if it needs to, there is not a set timetable for this. The company would only issue shares if the price was at a premium to Net Asset Value and there is demand that cannot be met in the secondary market.

I hope this is helpful, if we can assist you further, please contact us on 0800 917 2112 or at trustenquiries@bailliegifford.com."

1 Like

Can somebody translate that into English for me?

1 Like

If the price is at a premium, this is a value above the est. NAV (Net Asset Value). Equivalent of an overbought stock.

They, as manager, will issue shares to lower the cost of the stock, same way a company issues new offerings and the stock plunges from dilution, and ensure it sits closer to the NAV.

Great, that makes sense.

1 Like

Well looking at today’s price action, people aren’t to fussed lol

Well done for contacting. Good move

Daaamn the stamp duty is killing me! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Speak if nearly 10 pence seems extreme atm

About Baillie Gifford China Growth (BGCG)

Gavin Lumsden, Citywire:
Sophie, if I could come to you, now. Recent data is showing China’s economy recovering strongly from the Covid-19 pandemic, as you know and it looks to be back on track to be the world’s largest in the next decade or so, but given that prospect, do you think investors allocate enough of their portfolios there?

Sophie Earnshaw, Baillie Gifford China Growth:
In short, I think, no. As you say, China is on track to become the world’s largest economy of the next decade and more importantly, it has some of the most exciting and innovative growth companies, not just in emerging markets, but in the world. Despite these attractions, China remains in credibly under invested as an asset class. So globally, China accounts for around 18% of world market cap, 30% of listed stocks, but only 2.5% of global fund’s allocations. This is a big anomaly. As the market continues to open up and China’s vast potential is realised, we think this simply has to change. China is already 40% of emerging market indices, 50% of Asia ex-Japan. It’s simply becoming too big to ignore and already, investors are starting to talk about China ex-EM and China ex-Asia. So, we think investors would be wise to consider allocating directly to China now to get ahead of this substantial anomaly.

Source: https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust-insider/news/china-is-booming-but-how-much-should-you-invest-there/a1426406

1 Like

It’s such an exciting time to be investing in China

Anyone has a subscription to Telegraph.co.uk?

Print screen from Google Alerts:

You could do what I did and take screenshots before the paywall comes up.

It loads too damn fast! :sweat_smile: