Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

I think SMT holds 2% of $DNA. Quite a big blow

2 Likes

Ginkgo’s CEO response:

2 Likes

These short reports are designed for one thing: to give the reporters a dump to ride. It’s not like they keep banging the drum once the landslide has occurred.

I’ll take BG’s analysis over some glorified bloggers any day of the week.

4 Likes

Excellent point. You’d think BG investment process would uncover anything malicious going on. Short term noise

It’s laughably poor short report. References lots of staff and ex directors all that have left and have shockingly bad things to say - yet the anonymous public forum that is Glassdoor has the CEO score at 100% - almost unseen and the company score high 90’s - also rare.

The report they mention and quote from halfway through the report has a few areas where it believes the valuation is a bit sticky (we all do), but the vast majority of the crap they pull from it is counter argued in the very same report later on.

It’s a piss poor, copy and paste short report where they’ve just changed the names of the last target.

And they’ve already won. When will retail learn.

It’s a pretty good tactic when you think about it.

You could look for companies whose ownership is weighted towards retail and then make the glove fit.

1 Like

Add in a tickle of overvaluation and then just lie your way to profits.

It’s also valid to pump (meme) stocks. :wink:

Presume they just have to hope there’s enough truth in it so as not to invite a lawsuit. I don’t understand how they don’t all end up heavily fined or worse.

1 Like

In a temporary bear market, it’s an inevitable challenge for an early-stage company that decided to go public with an extremely high valuation. Tom Slater had already voiced his concern when Ginkgo announced SPAC listing:

‘When you look at what’s been happening recently and this aggressive pursuit of companies to move public through this Spac structure, the questions for me are when you get to public markets, are you ready for the environment you’re going to find yourself in?’

‘If your share price drops 50%, what are you going to be talking about, how are you going to be explaining the business to people…and what is it that’s going to stop the business crumbling in that environment?’

(BG) had a ‘very frank conservation’ with Jason Kelly, founder of Ginkgo, the [synthetic biology] business which SMT first invested in five years ago, about its decision to opt for a Spac listing and what it might mean for Kelly’s ability to pursue his vision.

'We probably came down [on] a slightly different position on what we thought the ideal path forward was than he did, but I think the clear area of agreement was…the aim should be to have that core of long-term owners in the register on a two- or three-year view. He had a clear idea how he wanted to get there and we were happy to back him in going down the route.’

3 Likes

Does anyone have some recommendations for ETFs or Funds to add to my portfolio that don’t overlap SMT?

I have my eyes on LSE:CHRY, LSE:GROW and LSE:IEM.

2 Likes

SMT doing well recently.

4 Likes

Bangin’. My SIPP hit all time highs yesterday! :smiley:

4 Likes

I was just explaining to my wife … I’m being a smart ass and trying to pick individual stocks - in the meantime SMT be like: “hold my :beer::sweat_smile:
However, I’m happy SMT is my 3rd top holding.

4 Likes

It’s so conflicting. I want it to continue up but I want dips to add more!

It’s getting further and further from my support and resistance lines… Not a bad problem to have. :laughing:

1 Like

I know the feeling, I try and pick my own stocks but SMT kicks every other stock I owns ass :man_facepalming:t3:. Why do I bother? That said I do like picking some of the smaller SMT holdings and take larger positions…$asml, $dna $lilm etc I’ve a feeling SMT & $bomn are going to be my largest positions long term :raised_hands:t3:

3 Likes

I would be interested to know peoples strategy for topping up.

I prefer to add on dips rather than just throw money in whenever, I’m currently using 50MA and 200MA on 4hr and 1 day charts to judge value. It seems SMT has just bounced off the 4hr 50MA.

Also keeping an eye on NAV to make sure I’m not paying too high a premium.

Currently, I’m not adding as I’m in the middle of the process of buying a house, but as of next year, my strategy will be a monthly DCA into SMT and MSCI ACWI pie (70:30). Long-term play, so a monthly volatility will not play a serious role.

3 Likes

Step 1: Is it payday?
If ‘yes’ proceed to step 2, if ‘no’ proceed to step 3.
Step 2: Top up.
Step 3: Don’t top up.

5 Likes