Baillie Gifford [discussion] šŸ“ƒ

Iā€™ve consolidated my holdings over the past year and Iā€™m doing something similar, but with a less ballsy split and using a Vanguard tracker.

That way you get the best of both passive and active for a relatively low ongoing cost. The more I learn about investing, the more I think a simple strategy is the best bet in the long run.

2 Likes

Likewise. Iā€™ll do the odd CFD trade here and there, and the odd swing trade on the investing side; however Iā€™m consolidating my holdings into a 60/40 split between SMT and a S&P500 tracker. It takes the hassle out of things in a way.

3 Likes

Thats a very US biased split there, about 82% in US companies, although fair enough some of them if not a lot would sell products globally.

Indeed. Itā€™s just personal preference. I just find the US stocks and companies more interesting. Partially due to volatility and price action, partially due to my own interest in specific companies etc.

2 Likes

And Chinese stocks, like BABA or BGCG trust?? Just kidding, itā€™s too damned risky due to political issues.

I hold both of these! I still see BABA as pretty solid fundamentally. Also I do believe there are a lot of Chinese companies who will do well - and trust the crew at Baillie Gifford and their expertise!

2 Likes

Donā€™t you see that the political risk in China will always present a danger to their growth (greater than in western countries)?

Opposite to western countries, with more permissive and a laissez-faire approach (comparing to China), when the companies become to big, presenting an outside power that could change the status quo (political, economic, financial, shadow debt, financial stability, competition, information/data, leadership), the CCP will trim the potential growth like a bonsai tree, so the Chinese companies wouldnā€™t become too large/relevant. The CCP could influence their business strategy, change their leadership, restrain financing, condition their operations, force them to give their data to the Government and public institutions. The courts in China are aligned with the Government, there isnā€™t a separation of powers, the same with PBOC.

Sure, but there is always some form of risk. The positives outweigh this risk for me personally.

As for Baillie Gifford; there are far more knowledgeable folks working there than I. Iā€™m assuming they are continuing to do their homework as well as having their private investment channels.

I donā€™t have massive Chinese exposure but the exposure I do have, I am happy with.

1 Like

Yep, for high risk investments an outside and dedicated expert management is better. As they would have more knowledge and time to follow that kind of investments than the usual investor.

1 Like

Does anyone have a clue what it is about the Edinburgh Worldwide trust from BG and why it has performed so ā– ā– ā– ā–  this year compared to some other funds?

It seems that BG sold out BABA shares and bought the 9988.hk one.

The only reason I see for such move is due to deslisting fears.

Source: Baillie Gifford Long Term Global Growth Fund Buys Alibaba Group Holding, Contemporary Amperex ...

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I am not a BG investor but respect and keep and eye on them, interesting they are still bullish on BABA but want to hold the HK shares.

Thanks, this is interesting as I hold Baillie Giffordā€™s long-term global growth fund. Iā€™m glad to see them trim exposure to China a little by selling NTES, TAL and some BILI.

Just note they did then also buy some Bilibili too but the HK ones, just in case you missed that as article not laid out super clearly.

1 Like

Got ya. Not too concerned about BILI but itā€™s good to see the other two cut adrift. Iā€™m also glad they seem to be maintaining or adding to positions in the bigger Chinese names.

1 Like

SMT :cry:

Are people still invested or have people started dumping due to bad results last year?

Iā€™m still buying on these dips, hoping it turns around soon though.

1 Like

If anything, the past six months have given me more confidence in SMT. Itā€™s down about 4-5% for the period, which is not too bad considering its exposure to China through BABA, NIO, PDD etc and the wider rotation away from growth/tech. By comparison, ARKKā€™s down some 28% or so.

3 Likes

Blah blah blahā€¦ 5 year minimumā€¦ blah blah blahā€¦ cost averagingā€¦ blah blah blahā€¦ nothingā€™s changedā€¦ blah blah, oh you know what Iā€™m saying! :wink:

9 Likes

Sometimes I think I should just liquidate and go $bomn + #smt those combined gives me all the diversification I really need. What stops me is the fomo on missing the next Tesla and not having enough exposure in SMT hence I double down on some of their positions - Ginko, Lilium etc and hold Palantir and Ionq :weary:

1 Like

Yeah, similarly, the core of my portfolioā€™s simply SMT + VWRL. Ginkgoā€™s an interesting one: itā€™s now in SMTā€™s top 10 at about 3%, so BG must have a lot of confidence in its long-term prospects.

1 Like