Baillie Gifford [discussion] šŸ“ƒ

Thatā€™s crazy when trading at that premium. I donā€™t really feel like I can invest in it at that rate.

Anyone else have the same sentiment?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Yep same joe

1 Like

have you seen the price of a share of berkshire hathaway :wink:

I could be wrong, but that blurb reads to me that the vote to issue 20% more shares was approved, so expect that.

The second bit, regarding Resolution 2, sounds as though they were looking to remove the restriction (pre-emption rights that shareholders have) that prevents them from issuing again further down the line. This was rejected, so if BG want to go through this process again it will have to be with the shareholders vote again.

EDIT: Actually, upon reading again, Resolution 2 was also approved. It just states there was a significant percentage of voters against that move. So it sounds as though BG can issue more shares without the need for approval going forward, if they feel the premium is too high. Personally I wouldā€™ve voted against R2, wouldnā€™t want to sign my rights away, but not fussed otherwise. You wouldnā€™t buy BGCG at a premium, so why would you NOT want them to issue some dilution and bring it back into line a bit. Sounds like it gives you perfect dip-buying opportunities - just got to stay ahead of the news and ā€œknow what you ownā€ as they say. :wink:

ā€œThe Directors will only use the authority to disapply pre-emption rights and issue Ordinary Shares at a premium to NAV.ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just re read it whilst being less sleepy and youā€™re right Joey.

1 Like

Pretty impenetrable stuff! So what next and how soon do new shares usually issue?

neither would i if i had a ferrari, but thenā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was really late to the party unfortunately, still indeed to keep adding to it over the 12
Months and then sit tight for a few years :ok_hand:

Today Iā€™ve played around with the top holdings of my Baillie Gifford Pie to get a visual representation of the overlapping holdings. It turns out thereā€™s no fear of ā€œoverexposureā€.

3 Likes

How did you decide on your weightings - do you fix them, or top up based on which has the best share price to NAV ratio?

I donā€™t have a ā€˜smartā€™ answer as I followed my gut feeling based on past performances. :innocent:

Any idea on when the shares get issues

You can track their news here: https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/BGCG/baillie-gifford-china-growth-trust-plc/analysis

Thereā€™s a link on the BG Fund page.

Looks like some issued already.

Interesting to see thanks. Have they said they will slowly be releasing every X amount of time, I know its only whilst above NAV value but we seem to be way over that so will take quite a few more shares release to even dent that.

These were shares they already had rather than new shares. Theyā€™ve been releasing shares held in treasury on and off for a bit already.

I did wonder why the number was so low but I donā€™t really have the time nor the care to look into it any deeper

I trust the company and I believe the Trust will overperform going forward. The rest in between is here nor there. This is a review-once-a-year investment.

"Despite trimming its holdings this year to keep its funds diversified, Baillie Gifford continues to back Tesla. In September, James Anderson, manager of Scottish Mortage, said: ā€œWe intend to remain significant shareholders for many years ahead. We remain very optimistic about the future of the company.ā€

1 Like

Itā€™s behind a paywall - who do they suggest? Thanks