Did you buy the dip? (buying the dip)

Yes I think this is it, even today with some of my holdings down its mostly just ones that have had big gains both last year and also last few weeks. Others that were deemed ‘trash’ last year by many have gained strongly last few days like HSBC up about 12-13% on recent run, BP up 10% etc.

What will be interesting is if like you say its mostly the ones which are ‘ideas’ and less about fundamentals and cash flow/profit etc then these would usually be the trigger when a market turns. So if they fall lots then could mean whole market corrects/crashes if high valuations get reconsidered across the board. However could keep being propped up and go to new highs after small corrections.

One thing is peculiar with this stock market decline, it’s not a sell-off as we have seen in the past but is clear indecision on the part of investors and other market participants as to where the market is heading. one thing is certain a minor correction is imminent and that’s not a problem as it present good buying opportunity, that the point of this topic.

judging by green vs Red

Yes it will provide a good buying opportunity for good companies, but the bad ones it may just be them reverting to rightful place.

One thing I am keeping in mind personally is to make sure I have enough stocks that are not ‘cool’ and not popular with the recent rush of emotion driven new money in the market, as that is more likely to leave market completely if significant correction happens, whereas long term investors may move money around, but it will likely be into ‘safer’ havens of solid cash generating businesses.

2 Likes

So you going defensive then? that’s a good strategy

I wont be selling any holdings in anticipation of a correction, I am just not buy aggressively stocks that are richly valued. I am still adding to portfolio at a normal steady rate and will buy evenly across my portfolio but keep an eye on which are overvalued and avoid putting much into them for now.

3 Likes

Bought some more Barrick Gold on the Dip as expecting the Crash will jump Gold Stocks.

Not a bad decline for me. Only down 4%.

1 Like

Am sure they will be closing there short positions sooner than later. That stock is up 48% today nearly erasing all losses. That shows the market is not following fundamentals anymore, which a mistake, it’s better to stick to what we know. How come with such clear report and people are still pilling in! For a quick bucks yes but for long term, I did put my money elsewhere.

1 Like

The sell off is an overreaction. Hence folk who see value in the company see a huge dip buy opportunity.

1 Like

Half my money is in Tesla. I feel confident the it would be safe with them should a crash happen. The other half is on more risky or speculative stocks which probably won’t fair well, but my share price averages are so low even todays dip left me in the green by a big margin. Missed out on taking profits though for the chance of higher returns.

my positions were all in the red by a bit and traded sideways for 2weeks now LOL

no free funds to buy any dip and no profits to collect and reallocate :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is why I created this topic, with the market conditions these days every investor should plan for these unpredictable market conditions, thanks for being honest it helps us learn.!

Some dips today, DYOR

dip stock jpg|423x500

Argo blockchain was holding everything up for me the last few days. I wonder if this shows bitcoin will be the best hedge rather than gold in the next big crash

2 Likes

Bitcoin is good but I recommend adding some solid ETFs for Diversification.
Or you can dive into options

I plan to involve a large balance of funds soon, so could really use a nicely timed dip before market opens monday morning :stuck_out_tongue: just not sure which stock to take a position in yet.

gotta bag those rapid 20%+ gains :wink:

1 Like

Get them while they’re hot, eh?

Take a look at the chart for PACB if you’re still unsure. The MACD is a thing of beauty and this has just pulled back about 5% in the last week, with potential to retrace as far as $40, but this has been a ridiculous performer for me (in from $6) and these pullbacks have been characteristic of it. If it does pull back to 40 that’s a good 25% of upside.

Another in my portfolio I’d suggest looking at is OZON. Just slumped 7% on earnings, but again an overreaction. If this doesn’t rebound today I don’t think it will take a very long. Chart doesn’t show much support until $55ish, so keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Definitely a portfolio stock, I got in on the last dip in January at 31, OZON I would prefer to get in below 60, not sure if that would be possible, just seen its pre-market is up already :thinking:

Think the opportunity was yesterday…! :grimacing:

You’ll probably get another opportunity in that sector if you’re patient as it’s volatile as hell.

I had CRISPR really early on and sold out at 160 odd, it then ran to 210 and now it’s in the 140s again so I just got a share which I’ll just hold onto for years now.

2 Likes

Bought 5 more Barrick Gold to Average now to $23.

Datadog Inc (DDOG) down -12.35%
Plug down -15.41%
Heat Biologics -14.70%
Arcimoto down-14.82%
Just Energy down-%28

it looks like there is still more downside, but watch these including these mentioned @Joey_Fantana