Did you buy the dip? (buying the dip)

I wait patiently, I like the potential

Personally Iā€™ll be looking for PLTR dip purchases today. Lock-up expiry is today so hoping that market open will signal a bit of a sell off on top of the 5% drop in premarket.

1 Like

The thing I donā€™t get is that surely there has to come a time when the businesses finances actually matter?

I understand the whole castle in the air theory and do believe in it, to a point anyway.

But take Data Dog for example. It has no meaningful earnings, price to book at 32x and revenue is only forecast to grow 21%. Based on 21% thatā€™s going to take a hell of a long time to even get back to the industryā€™s PE ratio at probably 40x and even longer to get to the already expensive US markets average.

What Iā€™m getting at is what says these stocks will always recover? I believe they will for a period of time but at some point that dip will be permanent.

Check out a long term graph of Micron, ticker MU. The company is now performing well, but itā€™s still not at early 2000 levels in the last tech bubble. That should be a lesson at some point and it wonā€™t matter until it matters.

2 Likes

Iā€™m keeping an eye on that one. I thought the lock up expiry was tomorrow?

Apologies, youā€™re right.

Back in my box til tomorrow. :wink:

Yes, and purely a speculative notion Iā€™m throwing out there for discussion/dissection, but is it reasonable to think that time will come once the Fed stops propping up the market?

Iā€™m not so hot on economics yet and how it all adds up (next reads I guess). But the more they prop it up the weaker the dollar will become and the expensive imports are for them?

Pass. My understanding is likely less than yours. Iā€™m just thinking that once they step back and allow normality to resume, weā€™re seeing no more stimulus, no more RobinHooders throwing free money into the market, blowing up accounts with nochalance. Retail backs away from the markets and suddenly selling on ERs, rockets after short reports, tech companies pumped out their nuts, it all subsides and the fundamentals come back into importance.

Not my take. Just my suspicion.

1 Like

That makes sense and is kind of where Iā€™m at with it as well, maybe early 2022 fundamentals will matter again.

That being said retail investors now make up for 20% of the volume so I might just be sitting here with my Berkshire and Legal and General wishing I got some data dog :joy:

I completely agree with you on this, but we are not in ordinary times, moreover I will always recommend people (DYOR). look at the SPAC deals going everyday and mostly backed by seasoned investors who should know better. this is something that I have battled with over the past yr and have decided to play along with plenty of caution. Just look at the effect of earning on stocks, completely the opposite effect. for me personally these stock are what I class as ā€œget in get outā€ just name a few, junk bonds been sold. the bottom line is there is too much funds chasing all sorts of assets including bitcoins not to mention ā€œDogeā€. the market is so irritational and frankly hard to judge what is happening on the market right now. everyone should DYOR (do your own research)

And thatā€™s certainly why I shifted away from value and dividend stocks for the time being. I might go back to solidify the folio in time, but for now, in THIS market? I canā€™t not roll the dice and take advantage. Possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity for many at play.

(Atlas Crest Investment Corp ) SPAC flying cars projected earnings
Even Kanabo thats went up more than 100% yesterday, there is no rational and that why the later fell like stones and then take off again line drones ā€œEhangā€ you cant win them

Now SPACs is one thing I do trade purely on the basis if you enter near the NAV youā€™re pretty safe.

I think the stock market will be forever changed, with commission free apps and meme stocks, the stock market is more like twitter now with the latest trends. I think any big crash will just be seen as another opportunity like March last year, only question is will you be left bag holding or get in at the bottom?

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair comment.

I donā€™t think there is a right or wrong answer, it really depends on the whole ā€œsleep toleranceā€ thing to be honest.

For me, I have a mid range portfolio. I think my total portfolios ratio is around a 35 PE ratio as I have PayPal and Crispr in there as my growth stocks. And then some of the more traditional stocks like Google which is really cheap in this expensive market and has been a great performer for me as I got it around 1400 or something. Right down to your BRK, LGEN etc.

But Iā€™m now looking at value as it sits better for me and I intend to invest for as long as I can.

EDIT:- plus Iā€™m mainly going to just hold indexā€™s which will make up at least 70-80% of my portfolio from next year

Not Inv Trustsā€¦?

Believe it or not no, indexes over long periods of times have been proven to out perform trusts.

There are short periods where trusts do out perform indexes of course. Iā€™ll keep my BG and always have a portion to them but the main bulk will be indexes.

Plus Iā€™m finding with work and personal life itā€™s harder and harder to find the time needed so Iā€™ll be really passive

2 Likes

Iā€™ll dig out some extracts for you later you might be interested in :ok_hand:

1 Like

Given the GAXY scenario. You canā€™t buy that Dip because it is no longer a Penny Stock Excempt.

Gamestop hearing today, payment for the order-flow? the outcome could impact retail investors worldwide