Do you keep your investment choices secret?

I live in UK, working for a unicorn startup company, and moved to here from a behemoth of a company operating over 50 countries both had the clause in my contract.

The loophole in contract law, is you can create confidential flags in bilateral contracts.

So saying ā€œyou can be dismissed for sharing your salaryā€ is not valid because of the equalises act, but you can say ā€œx, y and salary are confidential informationā€ and employment tribunal held this decision in quite a few examples.

Another point that I am going to make is not against you at all @Gez050 but general to all the ā€œequalityā€ discussion above.

Not many jobs are easily quantifiable on merit (except may be physical labour intensive jobs) and in most jobs, most companies even struggle to asses how good/bad some individual or team is doing, especially for engineering and technical jobs. Keeping this in mind saying ā€œBoth person A and B are doing the same jobā€ is only hypothetical and in real world it is actually naive.

2 Likes

This topic really blown out.

I am talking more about coworkers sharing info, then cross industry, general cross info sharing.

For one, you can have in team, 2 different people, that do similar quality work for equal position, but different salary. Witnessed it, heard others talk about it, I personally believe it exists.

1 Like

unfollowing this thread as half of it has nothing to do with investment choices and has instead become a salary discussion xD

2 Likes

Just my two pennies on the whole pay-gap thing. I realise this is completely off-topic for the OP.

I have a colleague in the exact same job role as me, both male, both took the same course at the same university and both received the same grade (although my average was higher but that doesnā€™t factor). The only difference between us is we did all that 1 year apart, meaning I have 1 year seniority over him.

However, my salary 1 year ago was 20% higher than his is currently. Why is that? Well, all sorts of reasons.

Technically, my aptitude for the work is better (not a brag, it just is what it is), Iā€™ve also worked and succeeded on more critical projects and have saved the company a lot of money through completing them. Iā€™m also more of an innovator and will not hesitate to bring up new ideas whereas he is more happy to simply work off a spec on the tasks given.

Given those reasons, my salary should be higher, right? No two employees in the same role are equal.

Its a complex subject, so clearly these arenā€™t the only factors but:

Some people will be better at negotiating salary.

There is a biological disparity between male and female when it comes to the workplace ā€“ Iā€™m going to generalise here ā€“ men tend to be more competetive and women more collaborative, so maybe that leads to situations where they compete for higher salaries, better jobs etc. whilst the collaboratorā€™s hard work gets overlooked?

Iā€™ve seen studies which suggest that women are less risk averse too? Maybe that contributes to a ā€œdonā€™t rock the boatā€ mentality on salary negotiation?

I donā€™t disagree that a certain wage-gap does exist in some companies between men and women, men and men and women and women but there are also a lot of factors which could explain it too (other than just straight up discrimination).

2 Likes

What do you do for a living if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Yeah exactly for that reason it should always be legal and open to stop nepotism

Hi, I canā€™t see a similar topic (correct me if Iā€™m wrong) but Iā€™d like to know if people would be interested in sharing their pies with other users? Could this be something T212 implements so newbies like me can browse other usersā€™ picks to create my own pie?

I understand people may want to keep their portfolios to themselves (they have done all the hard work after all) but itā€™d be so useful to take inspiration from existing pies so I can build my own.

Let me know what you guys think?

See the discussion already here:

Pie sharing should be here next week :slight_smile:

Iā€™m personally hoping to poach the smart peoples picks then :stuck_out_tongue:

Smartest thing to do is heed advice from smart people. For instance John Bogle.

One of my pies

2 Likes

Curious if you will get that result after one year.

I seriously doubt it, but one can hope.

1 Like

A couple of months back somebody here shared their pie with AMD only, and the projected return was something like 14 TRILLION dollars. lol

1 Like

If you look at my profile pic, I originally had a pie projecting 26 billion trillion :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming that was invested in Tesla, makes sense.

Actually GGP. Zoom would have even higher projected but I finished playing around. :grin:

I believe that helping each other gives us more knowledge to make our own choices.

Perhaps a few choices are more personalised that we may wish to keep to ourselves (more because we are scared to say if we get it wrong more than anything), but overall giving our own opinion on our Portfolio is a choice unlike discussing Wages, which can be contraversial.

1 Like

:+1:

there is help, communication, meaningful discussion without being stubburn or ā€œreligiousā€ and there are people who crawl the community and type tesla and apple under everything :slight_smile: I think there was one guy who made a ā€œportfolioā€ with only tesla and actually made a video detailing his portfolio :joy:

5 Likes

Donā€™t mention the name in vein. :trolleybus:
It is serious business.