How much have you invested?

Nope. 20 characters ā€¦

1 Like

Like I said I get the sentiment and point youā€™re making but your original statement was false, and the example you chose extreme. Look up the meaning of mutually exclusive. Fact is earnings level matters hence why changing jobs for a better salary matters, why bonuses matter, etc because savings 30% (or whatever arbitrary figure you want) of Ā£10,000 is always less than than the same percentage of Ā£100,000. Itā€™s not either or, but you need BOTH a propensity to save and actually earnings to save out of.

None of this means anything if you canā€™t save at all hence my point. I have many friends that earn far more than me but never have any money due to theyā€™re excessive lifestyle, no amount of bonuses can change that.

This is the reason why so many celebs/football players/boxers/actors go broke because they believe all they have to do is earn more money as they find it easier than managing with what theyā€™ve already got

And the reverse is true, so you can want to save all you like but if youā€™re earning minimum wage and canā€™t cover your monthly costs of living then youā€™re equally fucked.

But yeah I donā€™t think weā€™re disagreeing, Iā€™m just saying both matter and youā€™re emphasising the important of one particularly.

I know colleagues who live at home on the same salary as me who can save more simply because I canā€™t live at home coz my childhood home isnā€™t in London so Iā€™m paying rent and theyā€™re not. No matter how much Iā€™d want to save they can save more.

I also know people who have double my salary working in consulting who are my age mates and they can afford both a wicked lifestyle and save a bonus which shits all over anything I can put together out of normal earnings.

We canā€™t underestimate the importance of earnings too is all Iā€™m saying.

1 Like

Just like to show the plus side to saving regardless of how much that amount is thats all.

Iā€™ve spoken to people on here that say ā€œIā€™m only investing a hundred pounds a month or so im not sure if its even worth itā€ and my answer is absolutely it is. Saving and investing is a mind set and as the dispensable income increases theyā€™re position will get better and better, if they wait for the ā€œperfectā€ salary before they take it seriously sadly theyā€™re life could be over before they do

3 Likes

here you go all my lists

1 Like

Only started in May this year.

ISA
This is from my ISA account.

Invest
And this is from my Invest Account, the actual return here is higher as I had to transfer these stocks out of my ISA and they had already experienced some growth.

5 Likes

Why did you have to transfer the stocks out of your ISA, surely best to keep them inside if you could?

It was probably a case of shares that werenā€™t ISA eligible and had to be removed. moving the funds at time of sale to the Invest account to re-acquire them.

I can assure you those 100s and the odd 1000s are worth it. I was fortunate enough to fill my isa with approx Ā£20k over 2 or 3 yrs. I havenā€™t added since. Iā€™ve been very lucky in my early days of investing that that Ā£20k has grown 15 foldā€¦compounding once it ramps up.is amazing.

4 Likes

Once you get the compounding going, it makes for a very happy portfolio :smiley:

I donā€™t know what stocks have done that for you, but this sounds exceptional depending on how long it took. I have some stocks that have grown 15 fold, but it took 20 years. My biggest mistake was not selling Sun Microsystems after fantastic growth and then watching it lose 90%. Growth 1987-2002.

2 Likes

I got CHD from 2003 :slight_smile: with reinvested dividends. it is at 22 fold growth but like you said over 17 years. 18.7% CAGR so Iā€™m perfectly happy with it.

also have AMD at 35x on a fairly short timeframe but this is just plain old luck with a very good entry point 2015-2020 ~ 82% CAGR

2 Likes

A note for dividend growth investors like myself out there CHD has now paid enough dividends for my initial cost, so it is basically free money now? :slight_smile:

Technically, but if you think about it, because it was reinvested, you can still lose all the dividends paid since itā€™s in the stock which can potentially go to zero. But if you started investing them in other stocks or keeping the money, then youā€™d quickly get the ā€œfree moneyā€ since youā€™d have a big yield on cost now

Not happy my GSK position is in the red right now, and its not got the Div yeild I was hoping for, since the dividend basically does not increase at all. but should be a decent source of capital appreciation for the next 6 months.

Whats your average price on this? I have been considering adding some more whilst its around 1400 or below, 5/6% yield with some upside growth too.

I meant any dividend youā€™ve got paid after amortisation level is ā€œfreeā€ with an illogical ā€œinfiniteā€ yield to cost ratio :slight_smile:

how you spend that money is your choice you can go buy candies, or other stocks.

my initial investment was apparently $4.84 x 400 = $1936 on March 27 2003 which since that date paid $3339 in dividends. $454 in 2020 alone (473 shares due to reinvest)

so you can say my annual ā€œcost to yieldā€ ratio is 454/1936 = 23.4% or be like myself and say its infinite :slight_smile:

(edit Iā€™ve kept buying additional shares tho, after the reinvest, but that calculation is beyond my laziness at this time so just including initial purchase)

2 Likes