How much have you invested?

GSK is a ā€œhigh yielderā€ (if that is a word) but I would not say it is a dividend growth stock.

I usually give a lot of negative points if the stock is not growing its dividend at least at an inflation+ rate.

yeah, same 4 payments year in year out, no accounting for inflation, but the stock price cycles up and back down so you get high yield only if you buy at the right time :sweat:

on the flip side, you can get a decent dividend for your money until the price hits a high enough point to sell out and wait for the next dip.

Why do you need to grow the dividend at an inflation plus rate. Just consider the dividend is reinvested and look at the total return.

1 Like

sometimes itā€™s just less efficient to reinvest the dividend as all opportunities with higher returns have been filled, would then rather have management return the cash to me than waste it

well if it is growing at or below inflation rate, then it is technically not growing.

This is a preference, you can invest in high yield low growth dividend payers especially if you are at or near retirement, but while on accumulating stage dividend growth is the way to go.

I donā€™t want to go into too much detail and write an article here :slight_smile: but you can look into dividend growth strategy on google, or better take a look at ā€œThe Single Best Investmentā€ written by Lowell Miller (a bit of old book but one of the best resource for dividend investments)

Your dividend would grow, each time you reinvest a dividend, your holding grows, so next time if the dividend rate remains stagnant, you get more cash in return.

that is just compounding.

Dividend Growth means that as time passes the dividend per share gets a little larger, which happens at the same time money becomes worth less due to inflation. so if its not growing its dividend the money you receive wonā€™t be worth as much even if you reinvest it. you may as well have a currency that doesnā€™t experience inflation but instead every dividend payment is smaller than the last one.

A growing dividend allows for an ever increasing ā€œyield on costā€ for a position you bought once while cheap and never sold or added to. itā€™s about effective use of money for maximum returns at minimal cost. a position in the first year may have just 5% yield, but it increases to 6% the next year and 7% the year after etc without having to take the capital gains into consideration.
even if the shareprice doesnā€™t change much or goes up at a steady rate so the dividend is always 4~5% with a new entry, your position in that stock could be reaching 12%+ dividend yield because it got bigger since you acquired it. the dividends you would use towards a value position in another share to further maximise your return potential for the year, or withdraw as income to spend as plenty do with their dividends near retirement.

with GSK, its price seems to run in a cycle so you can make profits on the share itself and not just the dividends, which are already a pretty decent 5-6% if you get in while it is low in price.

1 Like

Just started my investment portfolio 2 weeks ago on the up thanks to moderna :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Aa mentioned below these were stock that were initially in my ISA but then became ineligible to hold in an ISA, NIO being the main one.

Yes the lack of dividend growth is annoying. However as you say you could go for the nice yield when you buy it low like 1400 ish and under, then when it has some share price growth decide based on market what you want to do. As in some market times a 5%+ yield can help your portfolio balance out through reinvesting that cash flow into undervalued stocks etc. I think there is an argument to have GSK in your portfolio at these current prices (I do) and when it goes up you have a choice.

my position was just a bit above the 1400 so I have a yield on cost of 5.6% which is decent. once the price rises enough I will take the profits from the share price and put the funds elsewhere while waiting for it to dip below 1400 again. the dividends will go towards growing the underweight portions of my pie. I moved a lot of my OXY funds over to grow the position since I think that has found its new balance for a while so can get better returns from a GSK dividend than waiting to try and double my money via stock price on OXY when it finally returns above $25 for months longer.

GSK is very cyclical, although not yearly or seasonally it frequently goes up and then back down later, so even if you donā€™t sell there is an argument to be made that you can just hold and grow it once it dips however the rate of inflation cuts into those dividends and makes it effectively just 3%, so if you donā€™t sell high and buy low, you may as well just put your money in Realty (O) that grows the dividend year on year so it stays ahead of inflation.

IMO, nothing beats investing in a similar company who grow the dividend like Realty Income, its just a bit harder to find the value moments. I had no funds free when it went to amazing prices in march :frowning:

is this for selling or renting? :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t really keep track that much tbh, besides just rebalancing periodically.

Most of it are pies that target some industry or replicate some ETF.

I wrote a program that parses ETF excels and I wrote about how I invest/design pies here.

I only joined 3 months ago but am enjoying it after some initial big losses from which Iā€™ve learned!

I have mine and my wifeā€™s this years ISAā€™s in so thatā€™s Ā£40k. I put mine in in July and lost Ā£7k in 2 weeks dabbling with stocks and getting scared and selling out. Iā€™m now back up to Ā£23,800. My wifeā€™s was Ā£20k in two weeks ago and is currently Ā£23,250.

My Investing account has had Ā£50k through it but runs at about Ā£20k to play with. Iā€™m still running a loss overall but Iā€™m earning every month now and thatā€™s diminishing. In November I profited Ā£6422. The first week of December stands at Ā£1712 profit.

Iā€™m learning on the job but enjoying it.

DC7

3 Likes

Are you on the CFD or invest side? Iā€™m curious as to what caused such big losses.

I used to work for GSKā€¦an excellent company

I tried CFD without knowing what I was doing, lost money. I then went Investing and again made silly mistakes. As an example I put Ā£15K in Tesla, it dropped, I got scared and sold only for it to be the same price I bought at a week later. Newbie stupidity.

From memory I think I bought at $395 and it went down to the Ā£360. Imagine if Iā€™d kept it.

On my investing side now, Iā€™ve only had 3 red days in the last 2 months and theyā€™ve been minimal.

Are you not concerned that what you are doing is a little akin to gambling?

3 Likes

To an extent but isnā€™t everything. Iā€™m lucky enough to be in a position to lose it and not be in trouble.

As said, Iā€™m making money pretty much every day now. Iā€™m no expert but with some logic based on where I put money, things have been going well.

1 Like

For the CFD side, with the amount of money heā€™s using, Iā€™d expect those returns as well. Jumping in without knowing what CFDs are in the other hand is a different story! But hopefully it is a lesson learned as it could end up being a disaster.