Introducing Widgets 212 for iOS, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac

Hey, Trading 212 community!

Iā€™m thrilled to share a small iOS app Iā€™ve been working on - Widgets 212. :rocket:

Widgets 212 debuts with a sleek ā€œPortfolioā€ widget for iOS.

Key Features:

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Real-time Portfolio Updates: Stay on top of your investments with live* updates directly on your Home and Lock screen.

:chart: Trading 212 Integration: Seamless integration with the Trading 212 public API (API terms and documentation).

:iphone: Device Compatibility: Whether on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Silicon Mac, you can now conveniently track your portfolioā€™s performance.

Youā€™ll need an active Real Money Equity trading account (Invest/ISA) to generate an API key.
The ā€œAccount Dataā€ permission is required - the only one Widgets 212 needs and uses to fetch account data. Make sure to disable all the others.

*Please remember that Apple has strict budgeting rules for widget updates not to drain your battery or data plan. Iā€™ve set a modest refresh time interval and included an elapsed timer between updates.

Ready to give it a try? Iā€™m excited to invite you to join our Testflight beta testing phase! Your feedback is crucial in refining the app and making it even better.

:point_right: Join the Testflight Beta Here

Feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, and bug reports right here in the forum.

Happy trading!

5 Likes

Just downloaded the app from TestFlight. I had to restart my iPhone before the Widgets 212 appeared in the phoneā€™s widgets library.
It seems it works! :cowboy_hat_face:
Would the values update in the background at some point, or Iā€™ll have to manually update the widget in the app every time?

@chantal take a look :smiley:

1 Like

Heya, thanks for trying it out! The Apple bug is unfortunate, but Iā€™m glad itā€™s resolved.

The values update on their own every ~30 minutes or so.

Itā€™s subject to Appleā€™s widget timeline budgeting, and Iā€™m using a conservative value to avoid being throttled. Making the timeline smarter is something that can definitely be iterated upon (e.g. more updates around market open/close hours), but weā€™ll see.

1 Like

All seems to be working really well, Iā€™d love to be able to track dividends through it aswell as my overall portfolio.

just tried but the portfolio value displayed on this app and the official trading212 app are different ā€¦ too lazy to check which one is right :slight_smile: nice layout though ā€¦ cheers

Hi, and thank you for giving Widgets 212 a try.

I spent quite some time debugging this and concluded that the public API numbers sometimes differ from those of the Trading 212 app (which I assume doesnā€™t use the public API). Unfortunately, itā€™s not something I can fix on my end. Sometimes, the difference is less than ā‚¬1 and 0.01%, but sometimes itā€™s larger. Also, remember the ā€œtime since last updateā€ at the bottom (ticking up). I know itā€™s not always the case, but there could definitely be differences with 30+ minutes between updates.

I tweaked the layout slightly and hope itā€™s even more usable for significant amounts of invested funds and gains.

2 Likes

I would love to do a dividends widget. Unfortunately, the public API doesnā€™t support fetching the total value of paid-out dividends. But if youā€™re interested in a widget that shows your last 1-50 (the limit per single request is 50) paid-out dividends, I can try to cook something up.

Would it be possible to add a simple portfolio value graph to the widget or the app, the graph on the trading212 website and app shows the history of the amount invested, however considering that I buy and sell quite regularly itā€™s not actually representative of my whole portfolios value (invested + free funds), its been requested alot for an option to show full portfolio value instead of just invested but trading212 havenā€™t done anything about it.

Iā€™m excited to announce that Widgets 212 is now available on the App Store.
Use the link below to download. Itā€™s free! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, thereā€™s no charting available through the public API. You can now customise the widget to show Portfolio Value, Free Funds or Account Totalā€”just long-press on the widget to customise.

Is it worth staying on the TestFlight version?

Thank you !

The TestFlight version will expire in 88 days. You can stick with it if you like. I donā€™t have any major features planned for the near future.

Pies and dividends are possible candidates for widgets, but there are limits to what can be done with the current public API.

1 Like