Is this really for you?

Just been on a few trading chat forums and came across a post a guy put up.

ā€œBNGO down 10k on this today. 2 months wages gone. If it doesnā€™t go back up Iā€™m gonna kmsā€

I did engage in the post telling him that he should value his life more than value money. Making 5k a month? End your life over 2 months wages? Over money?

Itā€™s a sad thing when people lose money but thatā€™s all it is, money. If youā€™ve a bad day, week, month or year with your investments folks donā€™t be given up hope for life. Reach out to myself via pm Iā€™ll be more than happy to share stories of the amount of times Iā€™ve pretty much lost it all.

If your living for money your wasting the most important thing in life. Yourself.

Ill leave a quote from my most inspirational song when Iā€™ve a bad day at the office,

ā€œSome things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When youā€™re chewing on lifeā€™s gristle
Donā€™t grumble, give a whistle
And thisā€™ll help things turn out for the best
And

Always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of lifeā€

The song :slight_smile:

12 Likes

5k monthly wage! Should count himself very lucky.

This post is a great example of the risks of chasing hype and FOMO, along with inexperience, it should be pinned somewhere!

I must admit getting annoyed seeing everyone putting money into these penny stocks and seeing 300% in a week, but thatā€™s not what Iā€™m here for. Iā€™m here for life long investing into established, profitable and valuable companies.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve lost a lot of friends and family to it and I know at least 6/7 of them it was for money problems.

Losing money isnā€™t the end of the world itā€™s just the end of that pot. Now you have to figure out how to fill it again and so it goes on.

Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ve made some terrible choices at times with money and lose it but, it was my choice and Iā€™ll live with the consequences whatever they may be.

You have to make a lot of mistakes in life trying to achieve your goals and targets. You know youā€™ve been doing something worthwhile when it does work out for you

Not sure ā€œthe life of Brianā€ is politically correct nowadays :thinking: fair point though Iā€™m 80ā€™s through and through

He could also have high outgoings? Earning 5k a month is great as long as your not spending 6k

1 Like

89ā€™ kid myself lol the song canā€™t be tarred with the same brush though

The number 1 rule of investing :- Only invest money you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and afford to loose

I would suggest that when experienced investors are discussing stocks on the forum to always include a caveat about the riskiness of investing in the stock market

I do worry that some newbies can easily jump on some of the information theyā€™ve seen here without understanding the risks involved.

4 Likes

Absolutely but, you have to make mistakes and learn from them. A baby falls over a million times learning how to walk but, they learn from it and itā€™s not long after they are up running about the place

1 Like

Exactly a baby has all the time in the world to make mistakes and learn, adults donā€™t have such luxury. One should learn from minimal risks if they are made aware of it

1 Like

Iā€™d highly recommend reading this book and learning the art of compounding also

Samaritans

Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.

Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)

CALM

CALM is the Campaign Against Living Miserably. A charity providing a mental health helpline and webchat.

Phone: 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight)

Mind

Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems.

Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm)

3 Likes

Good one for you @pipo

1 Like

Even the goonies comes with a warning to outdated views now! What has happened to the world.

2 Likes

This is probably the most important thread I have read on here with some sound points made. Especially about only investing money you can afford to loose. I started back in March with a lump sum and now adding at least Ā£100 month to portfolio. So far so good. Before hand though I did some research using various sites on different companies. Made a few mistakes and sure will make a few more but would echo what other have said and advise to not rush into investing. Itā€™s not for everyone. When I first started I was checking how it was doing everyday and would let if effect my mood if some investments had dropped. Thought about quitting. More relaxed now as generally they bounce back and as mentioned using money I can afford to lose which Is a situation Iā€™m lucky to be in. I have one penny stock investment which is only about 2% of my portfolio. I believe in diversification.

2 Likes

I lost about 5k monthā€™s back with CFD. It was hard to tell my partner about it at first. When I told her she was calm and put me at ease. Took a break from trading, cleared my mind and saved more. I got back in slowly into trading and more aware of the situation. Safe to say, Iā€™ve just broke even and in the plus again.

Main thing I got from trading is to have strong clear mental mindset and tolerance level to profit/loss.

For the person with 5k salary. Enjoy your good fortunes and donā€™t worry about the bad day. Itā€™s all temporary, learn, laugh, Live about it!

1 Like

From ā€˜The Intelligent Investorā€™ chapter 8.

3 Likes

Fair play, I know I am not a trader personality wise and also I wouldnā€™t want the stress/anxiety. I find I am happy to get more steady gains by slowly considering moves. All about finding your own appetite and what works for you. Hope it goes well for mate.

Wish mine was as easy as that :joy: get told about all the things she could have bought for the house :rofl:

2 Likes

My partner was skeptical and not very supportive when I told her Iā€™m researching entering into the stock market to invest, last June. Key word invest. She heard ā€˜stock marketā€™ then thought lose all money.

Iā€™ve spoken to her about putting her savings into VUSA, just VUSA, as sort of a high yield savings account but she wonā€™t have it. Into the 0.1% bank account it goes to devalue over time.

Iā€™ll have the last word in a couple of years time when Iā€™m looking at 25-50% returns hopefully :smile:

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve tried explaining the same thing to countless people!! A great book by Richard Kawasaki called ā€œWhy the rich are getting richerā€. Just wrap in nice paper and give her it lol

Another book added to my list to buy thanks!

1 Like