January sales: what have you been buying?

Why did I not buy in the low £5’s :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Getting there almost, have your wallet ready :wink:

1 Like

Been difficult to choose here’s what I’ve been buying:

1. $TSLA
  2. $TSLA
  3. $TSLA

Edreams Odigeo, Atrys Health and Aedas Homes and I created a lot pies, great for diversifying my portfolio

@kali

Stne is pain to watch, this one is going single digits unless earnings report gives some optimism, which I doubt…

Roku seems good bet pre earnings, due to 10% drop today. As trade ofc. This is also going double digit soon enough.

I topped up ROKU today. Down 8% after close.

All known issues in the results though, temporary supply chain issues causing a drag on player side. Platform side doing really well.

This January sales thread is still going in February and in a week and a half will be running into March! What a year.

4 Likes

I’m slowly starting to look into PayPal direction. Would be nice to have it in my portfolio, I don’t have a lot of fintech exposure currently.

I just bought stuff from a few sites using PayPal. Their fees must be comparable to ViSA/MasterCard/stripe and so on…

1 Like

PayPal is part of VDEP, so if anything they’re a VISA enabler.

Last few weeks I bought more:

• BOC (previously BOMN, Boston Omaha)
  • NNI

Also yesterday in the stock price carnage I bought RAVP (Raven Property Group Preferred) for avg of 80p a share (15% dividend)

Anyone else been buying?

1 Like

$boc + $nni here too

What’s your thesis on Raven? Purely income? Can they pay 15% long term?

Also with these picks - are you the same person I follow on Twitter :eyes:. ABI?

Firstly, Raven property group in current situation is going to be volatile and risky, it is a deep value play so I do not recommend anyone to go with it. However here is my basic thesis, and why I bought the preferred shares RAVP not the ordinary ones RAV (despite the ordinary ones being on my watchlist and focus for months).

Remember preferred dividends MUST be paid BEFORE ordinary share dividends can be, and this includes deferred preferred payments, see this text below from investopedia:

To issue dividends to common shareholders, the company must first pay back any dividends due to preferred shareholders. In some cases, a company may have the funds necessary to pay a common dividend but not to pay both preferred and common dividends. In this case, a company may choose to pay preferred dividends but suspend common dividends or decide to suspend all dividends entirely.

However, any preferred dividends that are deferred must be paid before any common dividends can be distributed. In this case, common dividends may be suspended indefinitely so the company can afford to pay preferred shareholders. Companies that have to suspend preferred dividends fight an uphill battle against ever-increasing overdue payments in subsequent years, so this is not a popular choice unless the company is in serious trouble.

The preferred shares have a fixed dividend of 12p a share, so as it came down to 80p it became a 15% yield, for the company this amount is a fixed cost, the dividend doesn’t increase and you get dividends before they even consider the ordinary share dividends (which recently they cut to do a kinda buyback for cash deal, complex anyway). Raven is like Tritax Big Box but in Russia, however they are based in UK and all the senior people are UK from what I see, also their chairman was chairman of Tritax Big Box for about 7+ years.

The ordinary shares will offer much more upside but with more risk, so I am keeping an eye but for now I opted for the preferred as if nothing goes wrong and you reinvest the dividends then you will double your holding in 5 years, or if you just take the cash out each year then get your money back in less than 7 years (whilst still owning the original shares). And there in lies the questions, what value would you place on something where you might get a 15% yield on your current spend for the rest of your life? The risk reward is complex but I feel one worth taking for me. If it plays out how I think it will then this may outperform most of my other investments (maybe even $BOC!)

Remember anyone reading this please do your own research, and know the risks, accept it may go to 0 like all investments and if you do buy then choose position sizing carefully.

I just topped up my AMD on Wednesday.
in my personal opinion, Semi conductor Chips will be needed irrespectively whether there is recessions, depression or war in Ukraine continue.

1 Like

Long term perhaps. Plenty of short term headwinds.

AMD being essentially a chip designer - no manufacturing, they’re somewhat isolated from these issues.

I’m also slowly starting to look into Unity Software Inc. (U) direction. Looks like it’s heading for some reasonable repricing.

Don’t have anything in my portfolio what could qualify as a “Gaming/Metaverse” stock except small positions in Apple and Corsair, so this might be an interesting addition to cover that space.

I finally bought some Netflix @ $330 yesterday.
I’m now friends with Bill Ackman.

2 Likes

The sale continues:

Jesus, I should have titled this thread ‘2022 sales’. I abandoned ship on buying individual shares in favour of buying a boatload more of SMT at under £9.

4 Likes

What’s anyone buying on FTSE this morning?

1 Like