Make Fractional Shares Whole

Hi

Been using Trading 212 for a couple of months now and really loving it!
I have a couple of different requests which may or may not have been covered already which I think would make the app even better.

I’ve seen plenty of threads about buying fractional shares… I was wondering if there was a way to buy the difference to make the fractional share whole again! I have serious OCD on some of my fractional shares which I now want to be made whole - I think you can buy individual shares by number and value… but is there a way to buy the exact amount to make the share whole?

If not is anything planned. I know in the grand scheme of things - this is a very very minor request - just thought I would put it out there!

Thanks and keep up the good work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Idk how much afford it is to implement that… but for what? It makes no real difference if you own 1 share or 1.11 shares doesn’t it?

Why? Other than having a nice rounded number, there is no real point.

Just sell your position and buyback immediately, making a small profit or loss as a result?

I don’t see this ever being a feature or function 212 will add.

Fractional shares are illiquid and unrecognised outside of the broker, people may wish to round up shares to reduce that specific risk.

2 Likes

Ah ok that makes sense then.
For something like make 0.85 of a share whole you could do your math… but having a fractional share in a pie can lead to 0.867565787 of a share… which is a mess to round up

Totally understand your OCD and also I agree with @Eden regarding the full share (even though not sure Trading212 is having this approach for fractions vs full shares - for potential in-specie transfer).

Anyway, a solution apparently was taken into account. Not sure what is the status of this anymore (there seem to be other priorities).

I don’t think they have a choice, outside of 212 a fraction of a share just isnt a thing, you cant sell only part of a thing to someone over the market you have to sell the whole thing. As i understand the risk (small risk) is that the fractions would all have to be sold since they cant be transferred and then you would eventually receive the proceeds, but as i understand this can sometimes take a while.

You can buy by number of shares anyway, and as someone mentioned if you really wanted to you can sell the fraction. Its not a huge issue, except maybe if you have 0.5 of an amazon share and 212 goes bust. bad luck would mean you wait a year for the cash value whenever they get around to selling it. like i said, small risk.

1 Like

The easiest method I have found.

You own .811111
The minimum purchase/sale amount is 0.001
So buy 0.190000. You now have 1.001111
Import the 1 to a pie. Sell the remaining 0.001111 in the invest account.
This costs the buy/sell spread on 0.001111.

2 Likes

This can come in handy if you intend to transfer your positions to another broker as you can only transfer whole shares. Transferring of shares is planned Q1 2021