Missing Information in History statements

T212 Team,

Trying to prepare my tax report and having difficulties since some of the needed information is missing from history reports:

1. Dividends - does not show the original amount. Looks like the 15% tax is applied to the price of US stock than multipled to the shares amount, it does not look quite right and create sometimes calculation inconsistencies. Uknown currency rate is used for calculating total paid amount. Also the declared payment date is missing. Have to lookup for public dividend information, in order not to conflict with local tax rules for my country/currency.

2. Stock splits are not shown anywhere in history. Am I missing something? Have to be carefull when selling a stock which had a split and declaring the profit/loss.

3. Company merge/acquire information is missing in emails/excel export. Example - Livongo and Teladoc Health. Was able to find information only in ā€œTransactionsā€ history as a ā€œdepositā€, with a related comment inside, not much usefull info there though. Only final amount is shown in local currency, no other details.
    So the excel export has a ā€˜Buyā€™ record, does not have a ā€˜Sellā€™ one, the Livongo shares do no longer exist in portfolio, and there is a deposit which can be lost between all other deposits if you forgot about the acquire event. This is really confusing.

Would appriciate any comments from the team. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @vnest

1. The feature is already being worked on and soon both the gross and the net dividend amount will be displayed in the tax statement.
  2. Stock splits and reverse stock splits increase or decrease the number of shares held while the value of each individual share decreases/increases proportionally. Therefore, the value of your post split investment does not change at all as a result of the event. Since post split fractional shares are already supported on the platform, there is no need for the splits to be reflected in History.
  3. Recently, we have optimized the system and the sold shares as a result of an acquisition or a similar corporate event will be displayed in History in the future.
3 Likes

Many thanks for the quick response, appreciate it.

Somewhat disagree on #2. The investment value does not change of course, but for calculating taxes after partial selling of a position, it is better to know at which moment a split happened, so it will be possible to adjust historical amounts/prices.

Letā€™s assume Iā€™ve made such transactions in order:

1. BUY 1 share for 10 USD
  2. BUY 2 shares each for 20 USD (the price has been increased with time)
  3. Stock split happens - 1 ā†’ 2. Now I have 6 shares, each worth 10 USD. This record is not shown in the exported report.
  4. SELL 2 shares for 10 USD each. Now I have to calculate profit/loss vs opening price for each BUY, accordingly to that time amounts/prices, using FIFO method.
    I may be confused and calculate incorrectly, one share vs 1st BUY = 0$, and another - vs 2nd buy = -10$ loss.
    While these sold 2 shares are the new after-split shares, and correct cauclulation would be against the first BUY price = 10$ profit.

In reality it will be even more complex, with real price changes and operating with fractional shares.
I have to remember what and when happened in the previous year for each position in my portfolio, or check it on public sources.
I have also tried to automate tax calculation, but it is impossible without full historical reports.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

The FIFO method is not used on the Invest account. Instead, the bought shares are aggregated into your existing position and the price of each share is averaged. This average price is the relevant one when closing your position. Furthermore, only closed positions (sold shares) are presented on the tax statement.

Let us take the example you have provided. You have bought the following shares pre-split: 1 * 10 USD + 2 * 20 USD = 50 USD Investment. This would make an average price of 50 / 3 = 16.67 USD per share. After the split happens, the number of shares will double, while the average price will decrease 2 times. This would make 16.67 / 2 = 8.33 USD. This would be the average price shown on the tax statement if you close your position after the stock split.

For more information on the taxation of profits of sold stocks after a stock split, you can refer to your tax authorities.

At least in my country (Poland) I have to use FIFO for taxes.

Iā€™ve refered to max tax authorities and know how to calculate the taxes, and how to deal with stock splits.
What I am telling is that the information about the split is missing from the history export. If it was there, it wouldnā€™t make worse for anyone. The same is applicable for other possible actions on stocks.

Regarding the stock split, please include this in the history report. I know it doesnā€™t change the value of the stock in total, but it does have an effect on our records. I extract the history statements into my portfolio records and I calculate the value of my investments based on the number of shares multiplied by the current stock price. With the history reports excluding stock splits, my total shares are off and I have to manually adjust the report to reflect this, so my totals are correct. All you need to include for stock splits is the number of shares gained/loss, not the value, and my database equations will do the rest. You just need a row labelled split buy or split sell to reflect the change in stock quantity.

1 Like

Any news about these updates on the Account Statement reports?
Itā€™s kind of strange that in the App we can see the Exchange Rate used for both Operations (buy/sell) as for Dividendsā€¦but in the Report Statement there isnā€™t any for the Dividends:
The information exists and is in the database (and is even showed in the app interface)ā€¦ why so hard to include them in the Reports?

Hey, @ValkiR.

The exchange rate for dividends is present in the annual statement. This data is not yet available on the extractable .csv reports, but weā€™ll consider your feedback.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also looking for this feature. Ideally the old positions will be changed in the Export, but Iā€™m okay with adding an entry that denotes the stock split. (Which to me seems like the easier option to develop)