Investors living in The Netherlands

Yes. You don’t own Dutch stocks and haven’t received any dividends and thus haven’t paid any dividend taxes in The Netherlands.

The 15% dividend taxes deducted for US stocks, you can add them all together and fill them in the second. I guess you fill in the paid 15% div tax in the first and received divs in the second column. Should be somewhere in the help or ? icon?

How are those actually defined? Amsterdam listed companies, dutch headquartered/Dutch-domiciled companies?

For example:
LyondellBasell N.V. has ISIN: NL0009434992 and is incorporated in the Netherlands, but doesn’t trade in Amsterdam (trades on nyse) and is a member of the S&P 500.

Very interesting question. Although you are speaking about Dutch Taxation, this theme is also on Portuguese Taxation.

For example, all major Portuguese companies have their mother holding company in Netherlands (for taxation reasons), they are traded mostly on the Portuguese Stock Exchange (some companies have a secondary listing on other countries) and they are part of PSI20.

Some of that companies have more revenue for outside of Portugal (for some of them, Portugal revenues are now residual comparing to foreign revenues).

So they are Portuguese or Dutch companies? Our Tax Authority consider them as Portuguese Stocks, probably because they are traded on Portuguese Stock Exchange.

1 Like

When it pays dividends, what is withholding tax rate? The Dutch tax rate or US tax rate?

both 15%, in the annual income tax statement we get back the dutch paid taxes though and the US paid dividend taxes get subtracted from the wealth tax that we have afaik.

You are taxed twice 15% (15% on US and 15% on Netherlands), being 15%+15%?

Or is like in here, US stocks is 15% withhold, Portuguese taxation is 28%, in the annual declaration, the tax authority does the difference calculus, 28%-15% = 13%, the amount we owe to our national tax authority.

not taxed twice, more like your situation where 15% is withheld but then I have to fill in where I paid it and then I get it back or I can subtract it from certain taxes.

OK, is very similar.
EU is always talking about creating tax harmonization. For example, there is an EU rule that allows all the European investors to deduct 50% of European companies dividends, so we are only taxed in 50% of the dividends of that companies.

Companies listed on Euronext Amsterdam and pay dividends in The Netherlands I guess. I own Randstad for example.They pay dividends in The Netherlands, so I shouldn’t pay any taxes on dividends.

No. Normally US has 30%. But since they have a tax treaty with The Netherlands and T212 automatically generates a W-8BEN form, you only pay 15% in the US. Without a W-8BEN form you would pay 30%.

If you were taxed 30% in US, you could reclaim the difference from the Dutch Tax Authority, receiving the 15%, because in Netherlands you should only pay 15%?

I created a dedicated Topic about this theme, as I think it affect all European countries.

In the Netherlands the dividend tax is 0% for dutch citizens.

If you were taxed 30% in the US then:
1- the W8BEN reduces that to 15%
2- you get the 15% back from the dutch tax authorities. 15% is also the max % you can get back.

A few years ago I had LYB which has a NL isin and no tax was deducted from the LYB dividend.

BASF for example has a DE isin and has a german dividend tax around 20%. From the dutch tax office you get 15% back and everything over 15% you have to get back from Germany yourself.
Not all German companies have a dividend tax over 15%, DT last time they paid dividend had a zero tax %.

I am not aware of general rules for the company div tax percentage. French companies also have div tax over 15%, which you need to reclaw yourself, which is a hassle.

1 Like

In the Netherlands does a tax resident need to pay taxes on a profit from a buy low sell high gain of a US stock?

There is no transaction tax. The profit from ‘buy low sell high’ of a US stock is not taxed.

There is only a ‘vermogensrendementsheffing’, which means that you pay yearly a 1% -2% tax on your total capital. The precise % is dependent on how much capital you possess, and that is determined on the 1st of january each tax year.

1 Like

Here’s something useful that I’m pretty wasn’t there earlier: go to the HISTORY section of the t212 app/site, then tap the DIVIDENDS tab. Next, select the dividend of your choice. There will be a line that says WITHHOLDING TAX (%).

In the case of American shares, this will say “15”. That means that the money you were given only equals 85% and THAT is useful for your annual tax returns, because it lets you calculate how much tax you can claim back.

Do this for each of your dividends, add them up by country and whack em into your tax return.

Well, there are errors with “WITHHOLDING TAX (%)” in History section, some dividends lately appeared with 0%, although the withhold tax was made, T212 said it was a visual error only. I had it in 3 different companies traded in US, other people also had that “visual error” in other companies.

They are working on it.

That are 2 different features although with common data. The topic you quote is about the CSV History Export. The post I answered is about the History section.

Although I appreciate that T212 adds more information about the Dividends and the Tax Report, it’s a pain in the neck to fact check all the transactions and doing all the calculus to discover the Gross Dividend in our National Currency, because we don’t have Exchange Rate used and the Gross Dividend.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a bit annoying. If you can’t count on it being correct, you end up having to double check everything anyway and then there’s no difference with not having the feature in the first place.

But it’s good that they’re working on it. It’ll get there in the end.