Multicurrency account GBP/EUR/USD etc

Honestly i think a vast majority of UK investors would be leaving with you if it wasnā€™t for the lack of ISA.

And if Trading 212 also starts to collect fees on the ISA accounts?

I suppose it will be nextā€¦

(ā€œWe Trading 212 are preparing so many new good features, we will start a new fee on the ISA accounts, but donā€™t worry itā€™s a small fee, the smallest on the market.ā€)

ā†’ Trading 212 already have the monopoly or a good market share on free ISA accounts, that they could have a fee on ISA accounts and the ISA customers will stay and pay for the privelege.

Freetrade also have a Currency Conversion fee of Spot rate + 0.45% and an ISA account fee Ā£3/mo. So we could see where Trading 212 is goingā€¦

Coincidentally the Trading 212 new fees happens at the same time (after) when Revolut announced new fees and conditions, including on their trading side.

2 Likes

honestly wouldnā€™t be surprised if its Ā£2 a month or something but they make it cheaper than FT say they can advertise it as ā€˜oh look weā€™re cheaper than everyone elseā€™. I know Robinhood is probably hated right now but when i saw last year that they were expanding to the UK ( They went back on that) i was happy because the UK/EU does not have enough competition which is why we get very subpar quality in return. The fact that there is very little competition is the reason why we are in the current situation we are.

3 Likes

Is there a possibility of trailing stop loss on Invest. It is very much needed especially now in this volatile time.

Thanks

Logic dictates that with the introduction of the FX fee/spread, multicurrency accounts will not be available otherwise what would be the point of the fee.
Lets be honest, unlike in the credit card deposit fee, where T212 said they were not making money but in fact covering the cost charged by third parties (and i believe that), in the case of the fx fee no such claim is made, so this must be a source of income for them.
Being this the case, it is illogical to introduce multicurrency unless, like for example in degiro, they start charging other fees.
I am just sorry that t212 does no offer an one time of conversion of the account to current customers.
For now I will wait and see, how this works out in practice. However deposits to T212 will be reduced and money will be channeled to ETF in Degiro and stocks with XTB.

4 Likes

Yep, I think the same way, including seeing the XTB alternative.

1 Like

Feature Description: T212 provides a way to switch account currency.

Why ? So the users are not stuck with a unwanted currency for their account they initially created the account when they were just trying the platform, at the moment to change the currency a user needs to close existing account and create a brand new one

3 Likes

I asked them about this and this was their reply:
"Thank you for reaching out to us!

As much as we would love to, the currency selected ā€“and the rest of the information provided at the registrationā€“ cannot be amended or changed due to regulations. You would have to create a new account in the preferred currency using a different email address and cancel the current one. We can also facilitate the usage of the same email address in case you wish to close the current account. "

So unfortunately the only solution would be to sell the portfolio and start over. :roll_eyes:

Hello T212,

Iā€™ve seen thereā€™s going to be a 0.15% FX fee in the coming month, and with this implementation I think itā€™s an important thing to start allowing Invest accounts to have different currencies in their account. This is mainly due to the dividends distributed now that the FX fee will be introduced.

When this isnā€™t the case, I as an EU based investor only investing in US stocks has to take a 0.15% fee when buying/selling the stocks (not that big of a deal, still better than most brokers when pie investing) but when I get my dividends distributed (the primary reason I use pie investing and your platform at all) it automatically gets translated back into Euro, after which the reinvestment also has to take the fee. I will therefore have to pay a fixed 0.3% when reinvesting dividends, which over a longer amount of time is quite substantial (my horizon is ~30/40 years).

I donā€™t think keeping it like this is a valid option for the long term when talking about competitiveness. If a different broker comes into the picture or a foreign entity expands into the EU covering this it will cause me to more easily switch to a different broker.

As you were already solvent without this fee I hope a feature like this will be implemented sooner rather than later, as I can see many leaving the platform due to this.

Kind regards,
spoe

7 Likes

Yeah weā€™ve been talking about multi-currency accounts for a year and recently they said nope. And then introduced the 0.15% so I doubt they will now.

7 Likes

A currency fee would be tolerable if trading212 didnā€™t force the exchange of currencies from sales and dividends into your base currency. This in essence makes it a stealth commission. Sadly Iā€™m going to have to move my 80k invested with trading212 to another platform unless they introduce multi currency support.

3 Likes

Hello i wanted , when i buy U.S stocks my currency which is euro become dollar , when i sell can i keep the form of the currency dollar and not euro ? and keep trading with dollars and when i want to withdray to conver it back to euro. Is there any feature like this ? Or will this be added in the future becouse there will be convesion fee ?

Thank you

You are asking about multicurrency accounts. This is a frequently discussed topic. The answer is that there are presently no plans to offer this.

1 Like

Having US$ ac with T212 to minimise waste in currency conversion ??

I understand Trading 212 should not be paying the cost of currency exchange fee as the currency exchange is dynamic and they have no control of it.

But in my opinion this could easily be avoided by allowing a person to have aUS$ account. That is what eToro is doing. You just need to pay the conversion fee once e.g. when you added the cash in to the trading account. You could recycle that dollar account for trading indefinitely.. Keep in mind with T212 0.15% look small but you rare paying the conversion fee twice when you buy it (Ā£/) and when you sell it ($/Ā£).

You could also avoid this 0.15% conversion at all if you feed Trading212 US$ ac in US$ currency account from external AC. For example, using Revolut US$ currency, or US$ account from another bank that you already have it and it does not charge you for an international transfer.

The current system charging 015% is just a waste as it is very small benefit to T121 as this waste just loss somewhere in the system, and a certain loss for the account holders.

I am fully aware you can not have a non Ā£ account in ISA ac but it could at least be applied to CFD and Invest account.

How does it sound.

3 Likes

It is quite disturbing that people who hardly use that features and do not know the benefit of it claiming it does not make any different. Not in my backyard attitude. If you TRADE (not invest) in US$ stock it makes a real big difference.

If you just invest in Ā£ or invest such as Index fund (not Trade) and once you have done that you forget it, indeed it does not make a big differenceā€¦ But you will not say that if you are Trading (not invest) US stock in US$ currency. With the current charge you will be paying cenvesion fee twice. When you buy and when you sell it. Also you might be hammered when the time of convesion is not in your favour and you will need to buy and/or sell.

4 Likes

This was when there was no fee. And timing FX movements is not something I take seriously.

Can you the same feature ass degiro , when you buy a stock with dollar to be able to sell and keep the dollars instead of paying again and again again again the fx fee ? i usually do 1-2 trades per day and have to pay 6-8 euros per day only for the fx fee

3 Likes

This has already been asked for, a multi currency account.

Multiple people asking for the same request on different threads is not going to help escalate adding this feature. People need to group together, and suggest using one voice if this could be added in the future.

7 Likes

I have to disagree with you. If people really want a feature, it should be requested everywhere, by anyone.

1 Like

anyone can request, just not anywhere. if you donā€™t request in the correct place, it doesnā€™t get seen in which case, you may as well have not requested at all.