Multicurrency account GBP/EUR/USD etc

So you tell me that requesting a feature in multiple places makes it LESS visible than requesting it in a single place? That is absurd.

3 Likes

Any update on this??

3 Likes

A multicurrency functionality would make sense right now. Currency conversion fees were introduced recently + existing account holders donā€™t have an option to close and reopen accounts due to freeze.

This is just my personal situation but my T212 account is in dollars and my bank is in Euros. The fees from my bank are now absolutely outrageous. I spent several hundred euro depositing to T212 in 2020 and really donā€™t want to cut down on this cost!

Have you tried using Starling?

Edit: that wouldnā€™t probably help. Anyway another fintech with lower/no fees

Also why not ask T212 to switch the currency so EUR to EUR?

That could very well be the solution, but my understanding is once the account is made, the account is made. I must revisit this!

2 Likes

Iā€™m 99% sure it can be switched, you just canā€™t have more than one currency. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s closing and then reopening, or they can flick a flag in their database. Worth a support ticket

@David @Tony.V @Rumen ?

1 Like

Have you had a few pints? Surely anyone who spent a couple hundred in fees, would jump at the chance to cut down the cost?

Could Wise be another option - they have a cost comparison in their website against most banks?

Youā€™re forgetting Iā€™m Irish. We have fees for literally everything, everywhere. I spent somewhere in the region of 300 to 400 on fees. I thought about Wise so I switched to N26, but after 3 successful transfers, my 4th never came through and has been floating around the ether for 2 months!

@phildawson We canā€™t switch the withdrawal currency on our end, Iā€™m afraid.

When it comes to withdrawals, the currency conversion does not occur on our end. The recipientā€™s bank takes care of that, on their side.

In a nutshell: We send out the funds in the currency of the respective T212 account ā†’ The amount is then converted to the base currency of the recipientā€™s bank account.

@B.E they meant change the base/operating currency of the 212 account.

By the sounds of it would have to 100% close the account occurring more external banking fees and then reopen which just sounds like a headache.

If it were me, I would open an external multi currency account with Wise or similar and keep the balance under 15k EUR.

1 Like

@B.E nothing about switching the withdrawal process

By flick a flag I mean change the T212 account from being USD and change it EUR. Rather than make the customer close the USD account and reopen a new account as EUR.

If itā€™s then EUR in T212 then there should be no currency conversion from a EUR bank account.

This :+1:

My bad, I had to separate the different paragraphs better.

The first part answers the question if we can change an account currency. In a nutshell: we canā€™t.

The part about the withdrawals is related to the inquiry of @obrienciaran and the currency conversion.

2 Likes

@B.E , When can we expect a Multicurrency account?

Thanks

I think ill just use Wise instead of my bank for transfers to T212.

So you know where we can find our USD T212 account details? To use Wise, it needs routing numbers rather than IBANs

Maybe you should read this first before making the transaction.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a little different from my issue. Iā€™ve never had problems withdrawing from T212 to my N26 account as I deposit directly to the card.

Interesting to see that there are other TranaferWise issues though.

@B.E @Team212 can you give us some update on this feature?

If I would read from tea leaf, I would say this feature might come as subscription(premium) package.

Doubt we see anything like it for free.

:money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

I agree with @Vedran. And I think itā€™s about time we stop being Karens about it.
Multicurrency would go against the business model T212 has adapted (fx fee), plus I donā€™t believe it can be implemented in an ISA anyway.

Yeah, it would be much nicer to have such flexibility, but letā€™s face it, it almost certainly isnā€™t coming.

1 Like