Multicurrency account GBP/EUR/USD etc

USD and GBP are a must have.

6 Likes

+1 for the multi-currency option!

4 Likes

As I’ve started trading some USD securities on the invest side this has boosted its way right up the list of what I’d like to see.

I invest with GBP as my native currency but trade USD securities.

So, a +1 from me as I’ve used the platform for close to a year now and I can now see the advantages of this, even if just to keep the trading vs. investing fund separate.

2 Likes

Can someone from @Team212 give any update?

4 Likes

Another vote for adding this feature ASAP. I’ve switched all my USD denominated trades to other platforms and won’t return until Trading 212 supports multi-currency account.

1 Like

I would like a multi currency account, but it looks like it is a long way from being developed. It is possible to open another trading account in another currency like USD as well as a GBP account? Also if I open a USD account can I only deposit and withdraw funds in USD? Does anyone know? Thanks

1 Like

you cannot have more than 1 profile/account open with T212.

+1 for multi-currency where you can deposit to your T212 account in the currency of your choice.

3 Likes

If you are talking days / weeks, I agree with you. However with a longer time perspective, with the historical data we have over the EUR / USD level, you can still have a sense of when the EUR is strong and when the EUR is weak vs. the USD.

Hindsight is surely a wonderful thing, but if you are looking from a longer time perspective: when 1 EUR was worth 0,85 USD like in 2001, it was surely a better time to convert your USD to EUR, and when 1 EUR was more than 1.5 USD like in 2008 it was probably a better time to stick to your USD for a while.

Of course no one can predict the future, and crazy things can happen never seen before, like 1 EUR being worth 3 USD in 2030.

1 Like

We heard it here first folks! :joy: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

1 Like

That mean US will be an Eastern Europe Country.

Does it make a difference really? It doesn’t stop your US stocks gaining or losing $ against £ it only allows you to place the FX between the two yourself.

1 Like

Economist wisdom: you can say what, you can say when, but never say “what & when” at the same time.

I should have listened to this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just trying to figure out what this means for the future of GBP. I need my salary to be worth something so I can still to have a holiday :yum:

2 Likes

@Team212 Could we have an update please? My other brokers ALL have multi-currency accounts. Why is Trading 212 so behind the curve?? I will have to transfer my USD and EUR holdings over if this is not changed. Just one example:

1 Like

What is the purpose of the screenshot?

You cant freeze the GBP/USD or GBP/EUR exchange rates, but having a multi currency account would allow you to repatriate USD/GBP or EUR/GBP and vice versa at a time of your choosing. At which point you may be better or worse off.

The only thing you would save is the spread on the exchange rates from buying/selling against a different currency if you day trade, and hide the view of the rate movement between your account and invested currency.

What other brokers do you use out of interest - and what are their overall platform/trade fees?

https://www.quant-investing.com/blogs/general/2018/01/23/to-hedge-or-not-to-hedge---currency-risk-in-your-portfolio

@ppt2 You might find that article and its references helpful re hedging currency exposure.

@frauzufein We won’t be adding multi-currency accounts in the near future.

@George Can you confirm stock transfers to other brokers are possible with your platform?

6 Likes

Ok calm down please. If you were able to sell that stock at the point of your screenshot, and keep funds in USD, you would still have the same unrealised FX impact to GBP because the sale proceeds would be in USD is all I am saying, it just wouldn’t be as visible as in the screenshot. That was all I was pointing out. I don’t see how it is causing an unnecessary loss, more just realising a loss sooner than you may have chosen to do so by applying the FX back to the purchase currency at point of sale.

I do see the advantage of keeping the sale proceeds in USD, to save the spread if you wanted to purchase another USD stock, or apply the FX at a time of your choosing. There may be other advantages I’m not aware of.

I was also keen to understand other brokers that had multi currency as well. Thanks for this I will look into them.

1 Like