Please answers these polls šŸ˜‡

I also recently heard of Tritax Big Box - could that be a good one to choose?

I donā€™t invest in many UK stocks as theyā€™re quite stagnant. But Big Box is one I do have. Hereā€™s my entire pie here, you should have a look through these stocks for sure, especially the higher up ones.
https://trading212.com/pies/l71Ni7TtQNiKc5BeEAWEr8h5vkqw
And donā€™t forget again I have a YouTube channel aimed at young investors

And definitely have a look at Visa and MasterCard

1 Like

Doesnā€™t the tax on US dividends take off quite a chunk from what you should be getting?
And the FX impact?

15% isnā€™t awful, much better dividend stocks there with higher yields, definitely make up for that 15%. And FX is fairly consistent over the long term, I wouldnā€™t worry about it too much, and US dollar is likely to grow stronger over the pound, which would actually increase your return. Donā€™t be scared to invest international, I would personally say itā€™s much riskier investing in UK stocks alone

1 Like

Iā€™ve also been considering Unilever and Reckitt Benckiser, but the price seems very big compared to the dividend. ??

OK thanks. I already have Ā£15 invested in Johnson and Johnson, so I will probably continue with them.

Unilever and Johnson and Johnson I both hold, price definitely is reasonable on Unilever. Itā€™s on LSE as well which is handy

Do you have any thoughts on Reckitt Benckiser? Iā€™m also thinking about Visa.

Never looked into it but profit looks quite inconsistent, been at a loss the past year or so, not sure whatā€™s really going on with them

Would you say that a good long term dividend stock should be profitable every single year?
By the way thanks for answering all these questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, if youā€™re looming dividends you need a really consistent company that wonā€™t be forced to cut its dividends. You can get great stocks like that, no need to look for stocks that are struggling and share price is all over the place, when you can get the same yield with companies with share price growth in a straight line up and a low payout ratio. Just suggest maybe going with the more obvious choices than trying to find good opportunities, at least for the bulk of your portfolio.
Hereā€™s a list of the things I do before buying a stock

1. Straight away get off trading 212 and go to yahoo finance or something and get a max graph on stock growth. T212 only goes back to around 2012. If it isnā€™t going up consistently then itā€™s probably not a good pick.
  2. Look at recent share price, still going up? And specially for now, has it recover from COVID drop or is it still below highs?
  3. P/E whatā€™s the value like, if itā€™s below 10 itā€™s really cheap, but you need to check the reason. Is it a serious issue in the company or is it being priced wrong and is definitely a good bit right now. Too high really depends on the business, but letā€™s say over 30, you could get away with cost averaging but wouldnā€™t lump sum invest incase it drops
  4. Dividend yield and payout ratio. This is the core of my dividend investing choices after all the above. Itā€™s one of my first videos so quality isnā€™t great but content is perfect. The Payout Ratio matrix really lets you know the quality of the company
    https://youtu.be/Ni5Kybn2B5U
  5. Go have a look at dividend growth numbers and dividend history and everything to see how dedicated they are to their dividends. I know yield could look good but theyā€™re likely to cut it if itā€™s too high for sure, but long term dividend payers will try their Best not to
  6. Just looks overall into the business and itā€™s ins and outs, all the little details before coming with a conclusion
  7. Keep on looking into it and checking up on it. Businesses can change quickly. Always make sure your money is in a good place, and if you donā€™t feel competent in doing this again ETFs are a good choice.Once my portfolio grows Iā€™m going to allocate more and more to them to make my money safer. But for now Iā€™m happy with the risk as I donā€™t have much to lose.
    Itā€™s your choice who you invest in, but just make sure the returns are at least close to the index or youā€™re just wasting your time in it!
    Hope this really helps, basically what I do. The first few steps help you to quickly cut off stocks before wasting you time looking into them too much
1 Like

Oh yes I forgot I edit the payout ratio matrix a little since then, hereā€™s the updated version

Wow thanks so much for all this advice!!! I will definitely go through these points when choosing new stocks. Again, thanks :grinning:

1 Like

It depends on preference. I personally tend to look at Balance Sheets and if they have sufficient cash.
Trading 212 for example includes the debt as a percentage of assets (though it may well be out of date) of a company on the app and you can also see its cash available. I donā€™t tend to invest in companies with debt over 80% (I scrutinise them more) and ideally I like it to be under 50%. Personal preference really.

Also, if you are researching them really in depth then you probably want to look at whether other companies in the sector are better than them and whether the sector has a future. eg. an quick example on a newspaper: Maybe its sales of paper newspapers have declinining revenues (Sales / money) but the company has several online newspapers that areproviding significant revenue and are growing quicklyā€¦ (I donā€™t recommend investing in online newspapers, its just a example)

Different people have different methods. See @jcksmith850ā€™s analysis on Legal and General,@Scrooge_McCodfā€™s analysis of Pan African Resources or mine on Neurones as an example:
Note: I am NOT suggesting that you invest in any of these companies and the posts are a few months old therefore the price of the companiesā€™ is different, its just a example of what different people look at when they evaluate a company.

https://community.trading212.com/t/fundamental-analysis-of-legal-general-lgen/6471?u=equityinvestor

The Pan African Resources analysis is mainly on an article: https://medium.com/@Codf/theres-lots-to-love-about-pan-african-resources-df6e5eb7acc3?_branch_match_id=788891637095249184

2 Likes

Ok another poll about thumbnails (sorry)

• 1 (Triangle)
  • 2 (Paint Stroke)

0 voters

Any other feedback would be appreciated, really trying to perfect them :sunglasses:

Well Pains stroke is nicer design, but triangle color wins it for me.

The stroke text and background look like some horror movie from 60s credits. Imho

Iā€™ll darken the background later like the top one and see if thatā€™s any better

Paint strokes for me.

As an aside, and donā€™t take this the wrong way, but would you consider removing yourself from the thumbnail? I could be in a majority but for me there are a lot of subliminal messages I get from these types of thumbnails and theyā€™re rarely good. I tend to find theyā€™re only there to hype and a lot of the time bear no reflection on the content of the video.

Iā€™ll forego the worst offenders for me as Iā€™m sure theyā€™re on here and I donā€™t want to offend.

Just a thought, but Iā€™m old so maybe Iā€™m the wrong target audienceā€¦! :wink:

Paint stroke for sure without me in it. Looks a lot better. But the reason I put myself in the thumbnails isnā€™t because I love myself lol, itā€™s just YouTube videos get more clicks with faces in the thumbnails, just how it is! My click through rate has been very good averaging 8.6% so I guess it works, just constantly trying to optimise them.

Think I like the triangle because it gives the background image more room, but the paint stroke does look a lot cleaner. Need to figure out how to make the Trading 212 logo more clear on it though with the darker backgrounds like this o e, maybe use the white logo instead!
Confusing, which is why Iā€™m asking here for outside input, so thanks I really appreciate it!

1 Like

And please donā€™t think I was getting at that. :slight_smile: I didnā€™t know that about the click through rate, thatā€™s interesting. And to my earlier comment, I havenā€™t found that criticism with your expressions. Very neutral. :+1:t2:

And get 212ā€™s name out of there until they make you an affiliate. :wink: