Portfolio Management Website Recommendation

Of course there’s more than five, but you’ll soon get to a point where you have ones that are better than others, why would you put cash with ones that you think aren’t as good. You really don’t need 30+ to sleep well, and it certainly doesn’t make you any more “Expert” over someone choosing fewer.

1 Like

It is not about who is expert or not, it is called risk management. If you are dividend investor, meaning you expect to live of dividends some day. If you invest in 5 companies and for some reason 2 of them have to halt their dividend for X amount of time, that would be a big hit to your income, thus having spread over 30-40 companies you spread income, minimize risk of big loss.

Everyone has different risk tolerance, I wouldn’t like to invest all my income/saving in to 5 companies for next 20 years or so. Maybe someone can. That is up for them to decide.

1 Like

Indeed each to their own, everyone has different risk, different timescales, different cash. There isn’t one right way, so you can’t scoff at people and say they aren’t serious because they are doing something different to you. Good luck with your strategy.

1 Like

Your challenge is accepted

1 Like

for the record: dividend investor =/= income investor.

choosing companies for their dividends in no way defines an investor as one who relies on dividends to pay for their monthly bills. income investors are a very specific niche just as there are those who gamble on trading growth/tech stocks like tesla for their bill money. for the most part, dividend investors include dividend paying companies in their portfolio’s because of a consistent record of outperforming many growth stocks when dividends reinvested are taken into account of returns.

Having 1/5 of your portfolio in a single company does not automatically mean you are going to wake up one day having lost it all because the company went under. what it would suggest however is that you blindly picked a company and ignored the telltale signs of a struggling/failing company and chose not to pull your funds out at an acceptable loss. investors aren’t ostriches, we aren’t supposed to stick our head in the sands until it is too late to correct our mistakes.

if you know the company, you can open a position in it, and only if you still know a company should you keep that position open. as soon as you lose track of where the company is going and how they are performing on an individual level, you stop being an investor and become someone who is gambling their money via the stock-market.

If you can follow 40 companies and know when to pull out of each then that works for you. others may only have the time or capacity to focus on a handful, or perhaps they have the capacity to follow hundreds. risk management is entirely personal and unique to every situation, it is not a numbers thing, it is a behavioural thing. there is also no point in being “diversified” if you are diversifying into sectors you know nothing about, that is just being foolish.

2 Likes

What happens when 5-10 companies you are invested in, become significantly overvalued at present price?

Do you keep dollar cost averaging into those 5-10 or find other great company which may be better priced for growth in future?

1 Like

I read some advice that if you hold a stock and you think it is overvalued and you wouldn’t want to buy it at the current price then it is definitely time to sell. If you think it is still worth it then you can continue to buy it.

3 Likes

If someone finds a good free API to grab the historical data needed… I can build a (simple) Portfolio Management tool in few weeks :wink:

1 Like

If you have more than 5 holdings your’re already a Robinhooder :joy:

2 Likes

@laguiar
Dear god that is a thing!?

“Robinhooder” yikes. I prefer to steal from the rich and give to the me not the poor* xD I need to aim to become a (charlie) ‘Munger’ or a (warren) ‘Buffet’ xD much more street cred to be had with one of those titles.

*that said, I do have multiple DD’s a year going to various charities and charitable causes so I do still play my part in giving back to my community and the world at large.

1 Like

it was just a joke… don’t worry :wink:

1 Like

I would like to use Sharesight also. I have emailed them about their pricing structure.

They would get a lot of customers if they were priced a little bit lower.

The investor plan looks the best but at ÂŁ19 p/m thats too steep for me as a growth/dividened investors just starting off. I do have over 20 holdings too so the Starter plan is a no go.

Would be great to see Trading212 add an API or link with a service like Plaid, Wallmine, Sharsight.

1 Like

i tried sharesight and found i had to keep checking dividend entries some were wrong

1 Like

Hey everyone :wave:,

Remember that post from back in June 2020 where I was hunting for a portfolio monitoring tool? :mag: Well, guess what? After two years of hard work, I’ve gone and built my own – Pro Stock Tracker :person_raising_hand:

It’s got all the bells and whistles of Sharesight, but with a fresh, modern look and it’s cheaper too :rocket:. It comes with a 2-week free trial to give it a spin. And if you decide to stick around, I’ll hook you up with a sweet discount.

Check it out at https://prostocktracker.com/ and let me know what you think. I am really interested on what you think! :crossed_fingers: