Royal Dutch Shell - opinions

It’s the “old” Shell you’re trying to buy and cannot be traded anymore per today. The “new” Shell can be bought with the ticker “SHELL” not “RDSA” or “RDSB” anymore.

What happens to our old stock, mines just frozen with a value?

1 Like

Go to your portfolio; Shell (the new ticker) will be there. I had the same ‘wtf’ for a moment :wink:

Yeh but the way the new shares have been distributed to my portfolio are very confusing. Showing the old ones were sold at a loss (i was up c.60%) so that’s impacted my historic return making it incorrect. The new shares show with an average price of £0. So the entire holding looks like gains, which it isn’t. It makes my profit on what I’m holding also incorrect. This can’t be right. Surely the transfer of shell shares had to be done in a way as to not impact holdings in this way? Need someone for trading 212 to advise.

3 Likes

@B.E can you please advise on my above post?

I got a notification saying my Shell RDSA shares been allocated accordingly. Another notification saying they’d have been liquidated. I can still see them in my portfolio but price is 0 and “no data” appears when clicking. I’m assuming the transfer hasn’t quite completed yet.

1 Like

Hi all. Just posted another another thread, but same here. Same amount of shares in SHEL as I held under RDSB, however my average is now 0.00 and it looks like the whole holding is gains, which it isn’t. Is it really being taken as zero, or will this get sorted in time and returned to our previous average? :grinning:

1 Like

On my SHEL stock it’s showing the amount of shares I have, there’s no gains or losses…

@Rumen, @David, @Tony.V also added, can you please advise if the shell share transfer is still in progress? They way it has been done is very confusing from a holdings perspective

1 Like

That’s correct, @HRD & @Ron . Тhe old stock won’t be available for trading from now onwards. That’s because later today, Shell class A and class B stocks will consolidate in one single stock.

As a result :

• Holders of A and B class on LSE will receive shares under the new ticker (SHEL) with a ratio of 1 old share for 1 new share.
  • Holders of A and B class on Euronext Netherlands will receive shares under the new ticker SHELL with a ratio of 1 old share for 1 new share.
  • Holders of A and B class on NYSE will receive shares under the new ticker SHEL WI with a ratio of 1 old share for 1 new share.

The due shares will be distributed once the respective markets open. with an average price of 0 and will reflect the first available current market price.

The trading history of both the old and the new positions is not gone - both of them will be visible in the History section of your accounts and on the respective tax statement’s closed positions attachment if you decide to close your new position.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, appreciated. Does this mean our average price in SHEL is remaining as 0 and it won’t be returned to the previous average that people held under RDSA or RDSB? Thanks :sunglasses:

@B.E thanks for the swift response. Why is the sale of my previously held shell shares showing as 0.00 price and so a c.ÂŁ808 loss as a transaction and one that his bit the bottom line of my returns? That ÂŁ808 was the amount I had invested in Shell and I was up c.60% from memory

1 Like

Agree it would make sense for them to follow good accounting practices and apply the bookcost pro rata.

That said not the easiest of tasks if their system has not been automated to do so. As a result would make it much more difficult for 212 to provide an accurate capital gains report or for a user to track their own capital gains.

Thanks @Dougal1984. I’m not as familiar as you are with the terminology, however I could see for myself that it doesn’t look right. I get it that if I sold my holding then the return would right itself. But I don’t plan on selling any time soon and at the moment the value that I have invested, the return I have made, my avg price is all factually incorrect and so makes it very difficult to manage going forward. Also, in my transactions it looks like I sold shell at a 100% loss. Which surely cannot be allowed

Given the current technical capabilities of the stock distribution mechanism, this is, unfortunately, the most accurate way for us to reflect the event and ultimately replace the old shares with the new ones.

The invested amount of money is lowered by this action.
Exameple: invested amount in the account last friday: 4K.
At monday, the RDSA (or RDSB) stocks were liquidated. So, to stay with this example: the invested amount was lowered to 3500. The ‘new’ stock, is added to the account, but the invested amount didn’t change however, which makes the return percentage complete inaccurate. Can this be fixed?

1 Like

@Ron74 I agree. @B.E, From a customer perspective it now makes my portfolio make no sense in terms of:

1. the value of what I have invested
  2. the profit I have made from what I have sold previously.
  3. the current profit in my portfolio
  4. my transactions show a 100% loss on Shell on the 67 shares “sold” as part of the transfer. The shares weren’t sold.

I will have to calibrate all of that myself for as long as I hold Shell shares.

I am not even sure this method 212 has taken is compliant with regulations?

4 Likes

It’s not showing any gains on losses on mine? @B.E @admins can you advise,

Тo compensate for the fact that the old shares were closed at 0.00, the newly distributed ones were allocated at the average price of 0.00 as well. This way, no funds were lost as a result of the share conversion, as their full market value is present on your account, and the negative result sustained as a result of the nullification of the old shares is fully covered.

If, however, you’re aggregately negative when you add the negative result of the old shares with the current result of the new shares, it is only as a result of the market movement of stocks with reference to your average price.

The chronological development of your position (both new and old) is not gone. Both are visible in the History section in each account and will be reflected on the tax statement’s closed positions attachment should you decide to close your new position.

Finally, we’d like to assure you that each decision we take is in full compliance with the regulatory framework, as defined by the FCA & Cysec and we’ll consider the above points when optimizing the process.

1 Like

Does anyone know when the new stocks will be distributed? I’m currently still showing average price of 0.0.

Thought it would be today?

Thank you