Royal Dutch Shell - opinions

Shell and BP are among my foundation stocks prices can go +/- 70% and i still wouldn’t sell.

3 Likes

What does everyone think about Shell share prices ?

Next time it might be useful to search for existing threads. Please avoid creating duplicate threads.

That increases the likelihood of people replying as there will be quite a few people already following those threads.
Also it reduces the amount of duplication and simplifies the forum.

Would any of the Leaders mind merging this thread with the “Royal Dutch Shell - Opinions” one? :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Both Shell and BP shot all the way up now

Shell has been performing well for me the last month or two.

BP on the other hand :unamused: bought them both around June time too.

Both long holds.

BP flickers above green and drops back into red in HATES touching 280!

1 Like

For BP it seems buy the 255-260 zone works well, I add small bits when it does.

2 Likes

I now have raised this to anything 300p and below is a big buy for BP, higher and still solid buy. This is due to great news this week that BP hit debt target about 9-12months sooner than expected, which is the point at which buybacks can commence. More details later this month at Q1 results but I expect a 2.5-5% buyback policy based on current oil prices.

1 Like

BPs update definitely was way better than Shells. Lower volumes for shell, but improving margins while still having low utilization rates, also much less recovery in upstream so am personally utterly disappointed with Shell recovery (although the market does seem to like the update). Also didn’t really see any real progression on the hydrogen/green part.

towards end of last year I shifted my oil exposure from about 75% Shell and 25% BP to 100% BP, just saw better things I could monitor to see it going in right direction. Hence this recent news I added to BP as felt 300p was great value for future price growth, a 15p dividend and potentially 7.5-15p annual buyback per share.

This stock all depends really. Myself I estimate a 1 year target of around £17-18 based on current market forecasts and oil consumption/production for the year and ahead.

Longer term, and I am talking 5-10 plus years, it is difficult to gauge until we see the other energy markets they enter.

Right now to me this can only be viewed as a short term, months to a few years recovery play, than a long term investment at best.

Where are you getting 15p dividend from?

@Tefal how frequently do BP pay their dividend?

Its quarterly, so 3.77p x 4 = 15.08p

2 Likes

Interesting to see Shell results later this week. BPs were very good, even better than I had expected.

For Q2 buybacks will commence at the 2.5% mark (half dividend roughly) so roughly a 7.5% return to shareholders of div and buybacks combined. I expect Q3 buybacks to be similar then Q4 could potentially be significantly higher. Of course based on no large oil crash.
Another plus is they have turned great profit whilst also investing heavily in renewables.

If I didnt already have enough RDSB, I would consider this a really good buying opportunity right now :rofl:

1 Like

What % of portfolio? If bullish on oil/energy I would say should have 5-10% in it as an industry as S&P is about 3% or something which I feel too low.

Only really small talking less than 1%.

Oh ok, I assumed as you said you have enough that it was like 5%+ :smiley:

My oils and renewable energy amount to 4.7%. I’m encouraged that someone else thinks the S&P fraction of 2.8% is too low.

I only use a subset of my invest funds for individual stocks. Rather risk adverse. That and although I’ve been fortunate, the general statistics show investors generally can’t beat returns from a simple index fund.