Royal Dutch Shell - opinions

Should not the same statistics give some reassurance that a investor diversified in stocks will be unlikely to underperform the index, while meanwhile capturing more of the dividends and avoiding index fund fees?

I’ve always thought this statistic is a two edged sword. The index fund return surely sits just below the mean return of nonindex investors.

1 Like

Yes I agree, however I am not at a point where I feel I want to be almost only index funds, but they are a large part and I add to them regularly, whereas I dont buy individuals regularly only when I feel set to out perform, whether my judgement is right I assess ongoing.

I am probably slightly too high arguably, of my non index fund holdings I am 12% between BP and NEE. However still much lower than Tech, Financials, E-commerce holdings.

Should not the same statistics give some reassurance that a investor diversified in stocks will be unlikely to underperform the index, while meanwhile capturing more of the dividends and avoiding index fund fees?

I guess that depends on how diverse the investors holdings are. If you matched them like for like, and rebalanced similarly, then yes you could beat the performance over time by not paying out the fees.

Shell ordered to reduce emissions by 45% by 2030 in landmark ruling

Oil doing well, coupled with BP buybacks that have happend I wonder if we will ever see BP near 300p again anytime soon, will see where it consolidates as it traded 290-310 for many months now broken out to 329p at time of writing. Next earnings (which they said expectations should be low) could be very interesting with/if oil above 70 for decent period

Oil is going to $100 a barrel mark my words. One last huge supercycle will happen, IMO.

2 Likes

Well we did see it back near 300p :smiley: I increased my position.

1 Like

Any Shell shareholders here? Happy with the results this morning and the dividend increase and buyback announcement? Will have a detailed look at Shells results next couple days when I get time.

I am long BP so looking forward to next weeks earnings.

1 Like

Yeah I bought last summer, just waiting on the recovery to about £18

Nice so with the dividend bump whats your dividend yield on cost if you don’t mind me asking? Sadly I don’t thin BP will increase dividend but hopefully will increase buybacks significantly. But dividend yield on BP was already higher than Shell I think as it cut less so with Shell as they increase dividends you might get a ridiculous dividend yield thats pretty safe.

I don’t know. I look at total return and at the time oil stocks were undervalued.

Highly leveraged on debt - yes, out of fashion - yes, but oil is not going to go away anytime soon. Time will tell if my punt was right.

19 analysts offering 12 month price targets for Royal Dutch Shell Plc have a median target of 1,915.10, with a high estimate of 4,647.45 and a low estimate of 810.79. The median estimate represents a 38.37% increase from the last price of 1,384.00

Out of 25 analysts, only 9 suggested an outperform and buy rating August last year, with 15 a hold. Now 18 suggest an outperform/buy rating and 5 a hold.

Likely due to the price of oil recovering and stabilising which makes a lot more fields recoverable. Hopefully a couple of RNS updates increasing the value of reserves in that basis, and we are laughing.

That said there is still some negative sentiment priced in right now and imo we should be sitting at £15-16 and not £14.38.

Oil, as you know I’m bullish, could get to unprecedented highs IMO.

Don’t be blinkered all, west might be going green but the LEDCs wont be doing that any time soon. Reduction in refineries and drilling means only one thing.

2 Likes

Well I was half right, but the bit I was wrong about is good to be wrong :smiley: They did infact increase dividend admittedly only 4%, but they will increase 4% each year till 2025 so I am fine with that.
What I got right was the buybacks, now they announced $1.4bn, circa £1bn buybacks and estimate to average about $1bn a quarter now, so that would be $4bn a year (£2.8bn+) so thats almost 5% market cap per year buyback. Coupled with dividends thats about a 10% return to shareholders per year.

Shares up 5% in early trding and I can see why, happily holding my shares.

3 Likes

How my oil bulls doing :smiley: good month finally haha, both Shell ands BP up about 15% in last month. BP my largest holding so portfolio has been fairly level with many other holdings recently getting hit.

2 Likes

The recent petrol panic buying has really helped :joy:

I finally sold out of this after being fairly flat for a year.

They might do well with oil prices rising, and taking over electric and gas customers with other companies going bust, but have a lot of changes to be made to future proof the company so I am out.

1 Like

Doing quite decent I must say, have Diamondback, Shell and Cheniere which all have been doing decently. Balances out the drop in the rest of the portfolio a little bit.

I based all my buys on $63 WTI so I’m still confident in them as long as no large oil/gas CAPEX is suddenly announced (Shell really good in destroying shareholder value that way). Renewable will mean lower margins but energy trading and hydrogen long term might make up for it.

Yep most things I read are based on around $60 a barrel, example my holding BP based their $1bn buyback per quarter and the dividend increasing 4% a year till 2025 on a $60 oil price, I expect dividend will remain unchanged from this policy short term but they will just adjust buybacks as needed (as BP promised this year 60% of surplus cash returned to shareholders)

Oil gang winning, and all the dummies thought EV was gonna take over.

1 Like

High oil prices only accelerates EV adoption.