Russian stocks -

You want to profit from war, or are you thinking of donating profits to charity if any recovery?

2 Likes

If the US declares war today, and the market tanks 50/60/80%, would you not buy any of your favourite US stocks? :eyes:

2 Likes

I cant poly Polymetal? i want to increase my position its on sale

5 posts up. Youā€™ll find your answer.

I would need to understand the reason they went to war. If as an aggressor then no. There are plenty other markets out there.

but i didnt find my answer where i can buy themā€¦ at which platform they are BUYABLE, IBKR is only one of many brokerages, is it working e. g. at ETRADE? Its kinda annoying to blindly create accounts everywhere (and unsafe), because you mostly dont know this information until you verify there to get access to the marketplaceā€¦

1 Like

Well, Putin has reasons, which is kinda understandable IMO. What he is doing is certainly bad and shouldā€™ve been avoided, but the reasons are there.

3 Likes

You can still buy Polymetal on HL, Barclays and personally bought some via HSBC today. I really do not understand why the intermediary has blocked them. They are a UK company on London stock exchange. They have some mines in Russia yes but also Khazakztan. Polymetal is under no sanctions and have released an RNS regarding this, there is no reason for trading to be blocked.

Perhaps the intermediary want to scare you into selling so that they can buy them off you at a cheap price. It kinda stinks IMHO. T212 has blocked many stocks for no real logical reasons over last couple years. Other than to stop the little man making money whilst the big guys profit of you. But thatā€™s the price you have to pay to remain commission fee.

Totally agree, no reason to put Evraz in close only mode without a very good reason. Its not been sanctioned and Is still available on Freetrade. So what reason do they have to do this.

2 Likes

Good conspiracy theory.

IBKR is blocking the stocks not Trading 212 - so thatā€™s that debunked.

2 Likes

So only UK residents can get the stocks for bargain because neither freetrade, hsbc, barclays allow you to create account from countries outside UK. Great! And IBKR is only ONE of many brokers. They just have competitors. Thats why ones taking bargain stocks and others crying for not being able to participate.
I tried 10 brokers in EU and ZERO of them is trading Poly/Evraz. All halted + bunch of excuses masking that they have in reality no direct access to LSE.

1 Like

How about Fineco - they should do?

I will give it a try but its kinda time consuming. I tried it already once but the whole page was italian and totally crappy and UK version was again leading to UK residents only.
Not working (tried): degiro, xtb, etoro, ftmarkets, lynx

Saxo - same issue, NON tradable, listed but nto tradable. And Fineco is definitelly bugged, when you select ā€œother countryā€ the page will get stuck at error, so you cant register, broken as fuā€¦k. Ridiculous is that it gets bugged and declaring error even in other 2 cases (UK, Italy).ĀØ
Freetrade - not allowing you to register (only UK numbers), same like barclays and HSBC.

IG definitely not working too.

Closing only: Market unavailable to open

Ok, so now Evraz has been sanctioned which is fine, but does anyone know what will happen long term with this. Do you think it will at some point start trading again, or should I just take it on the chin as a complete loss

Iā€™ve taken my huge loss as a complete loss (no selling) and moved onā€¦if anything changes in future ie a visit from Santa, all well and good

2 Likes

Any update, on being able to transfer to MOEX, or selling at MOEX prices in the near future? Peace to all

1 Like

Dunno, we cant even trade for LSE prices and im thinking about taking part in legal action against IBKR. I know a non-UK broker which supports MOEX but they dont support LSE because they have all the same trashy wilful IBKR intermediate blocking buy-ins. The only way to do an arbitrage (what you probably want) is to physically move stocks from London to Moscow.

@Andrikos As soon as we have additional information on the matter, we will let you know.

1 Like