Shareholder benefits

Mitchell’s and Butler offer a shareholder discount at there restaurants and send out a voucher booklet every year, if a buy shares on 212 will I still receive the discount booklet?

Not sure if it’s best to ask 212 or contact M&B. But as a the broker I thought it might go through 212 to get distributed

1 Like

You’re holdings in a nominee , so you don’t receive the vouchers the nomone does.

T212 (if they want to - because it’s a pain to administer) can provide you a proof of beneficial ownership statement. That SOMETIMES is accepted to receive shareholder benefits in the company in question. Whether it works for m&b In your local pub is open to question. Same with your discounts in next, Wetherspoons, BA etc…etc…

Basically… ask T212… get statement… show to your local bar tender and see what face they pull at you?

That does read as if M&B require the physical voucher. So, no, no chance. Sorry :cry:

I thought it would be simpler than that. You don’t show the bar ect a shareholder certificate but you get an actual voucher booklet set in post, I thought it would be as simple as 212 receiving the vouchers and distributing them accordingly

I guess you could request them but they might need to be in your name which you won’t be able to get as you’re a nominee. I would also be interested in shareholder perks, but it seems very complicated and the team have bigger priorities right now

How do you distribute 1 voucher for 50% off food to 342 underlying holders? How do you get 10% of a Thursday pint to 854 underlying holders. T212 get 1 voucher set not a quantity in relation to overall nominee holding

It’s one booklet of vouchers once a year, not hard at all. Hargreaves Lansdown does it and have a lot of more clients to deal with. Obviously 212 is smaller but I would like to see it included, they have very shareholders info and such as name as address and can redirect any material they get to the shareholders who own the stock before the cut off point

That’s not quite my understanding but happy to be wrong

See what T212 say. Since they themselves are in the Interactive Broker nominee it might prove painful

Keep us posted

I’m also interested in this CCL give extra on-board credit with 100 shares.

1 Like

Actually administered the CCL shareholder perks historically. So I should know.

Historically (old)

Should (potential to be wrong)

:man_shrugging:

I’ll chime in here, because I’ve been through this recently. The situation is the same, the company wanted the nominee to request the benefits card on my behalf, but Trading 212 are unable to do this, and I get why they can’t because it would be an admin nightmare.

That said, I approached the company anyway and explained the situation and asked if there was anything I could provide from my broker that they would accept as proof of ownership of the required number of shares. In my case they asked if trading 212 could provide an official statement of ownership with my name, address, and holding and they did accept that. Your mileage may vary.

The bottom line I think is just talk to someone, be nice, see what happens, and if they refuse then you just need to accept it and move on unfortunately. It will vary by company, and some will accept a statement from trading 212 and others won’t. They will be aware there isn’t really anything stopping you from getting a statement saying you are the beneficial owner of X shares, getting your benefits which are valid for a year, and then selling the shares. It would be completely at their discretion based on their view of the risk of someone trying to scam the system.

2 Likes

How do you know what benefits are offered to shareholders?

I came across it by chance from a friend who was receiving the vouchers then I googled companies that offer benefits

1 Like

MAB Mitchells & Butlers Shareholder benefits (Annual Vouchers - Dec/Jan).

Shareholder Voucher Guidance

14. How do I qualify for shareholder discount vouchers?

All shareholders of Mitchells & Butlers receive ONE shareholder discount voucher booklet, containing 12 vouchers in late December/early January of each year, irrespective of their shareholding size. The record date for the receipt of shareholder discount vouchers changes every year in line with the production of the Annual Report, but is normally around early December.

15. What do the shareholder vouchers entitle me to?

One voucher entitles the holder to 20% off the TOTAL bill when purchasing a main meal in any of our pubs and restaurants. The vouchers are valid every day, except Christmas day, and can be used for up to 10 people subject to Coronavirus restrictions. You may use multiple vouchers for more than 10 people, for instance, if you have a table of 12, you will need to use two vouchers to receive the full discount. Discount applies when each guest purchases a main meal including breakfast and set menus but excluding take away meals. The vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any other money-off voucher or short-term promotion and are not valid at Innkeeper’s Collection or on Christmas Day.

An original voucher must be presented at the time of dining. Photocopied vouchers will not be accepted.

16. I hold my shares via a nominee company, how do I get a voucher booklet?

In the first instance, you should request your vouchers direct from your nominee company rather than Mitchells & Butlers. We are only able to provide you with a shareholder booklet if your nominee company is unwilling to apply for the vouchers on your behalf. Please contact Janet Barker on 0121 498 6514 or via email at janet.barker@mbplc.com. Proof of your shareholding will be required before a booklet can be sent to you.

Only just stumbled on this as I’ve been looking into similar companies - this is a brilliant deal, pre covid I probably went to a Toby Carvery at least twice a year, AB1 for boozy work lunches and a couple of others on occasion. Having the chance for what appears to be 12x vouchers for 20% off your bill for anyone that orders a main meal is excellent!

@BenP did you get vouchers at the end of 2020 - Its tempting me to sway for these shares over others, even at a small amount.

Even a Toby Carvery at say ÂŁ20 per person for main, dessert(if room) and 2 pints, for a group of 5 with a 20% discount would save me ÂŁ40 a year. Count in the others I frequent and even with just buying a measly ÂŁ100 of shares, could effectively make the shares pay for themselves in a year!

The T&C sound reasonable and I am sure a monthly 212 statement could be sufficient. If not then perhaps to save 212 some time going forward, we ask to be able to run of a statement on a security level basis to capture all potential companies with shareholder benefits?

1 Like

:eyes: emerges from the dark shadows :eyes:

I actually went through this with Whitbread, not M&B, but yes the company administering the benefit card on their behalf did accept a note from Trading 212, and again with another note to renew it for 2021/22. I asked support to produce a confirmation of my holding in Whitbread, which arrived very quickly as a PDF only showing the relevant holding for Whitbread and branded with Trading 212’s logo, company details, etc.

Again, your mileage may vary depending on how strict the company are. If I were that way inclined, there is in theory nothing stopping me from purchasing the required 64 shares, getting a confirmation of holding, getting my benefit card which is good for 1 year, then immediately selling the shares again.

2 Likes

Thought I would post here. Dunno if anyone else is having trouble getting a statement for the MAB shareholder benefits. I got a statement which would have been perfect if they run it for the right date that I asked for.

I just use Hargreaves Lansdown as it is all automated and I just recieve the shareholder voucher every year without any chasing

1 Like