Shareholder letters and voting rights?

Is there a way to get the shareholder letters for the stocks we own? How do we exercise our voting rights? and how can we attend shareholder meetings without getting our letters?

4 Likes

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Annual Meetings

Hello,
Does anyone have any information regarding voting rights and if they are coming to Trading212. I think it would be a good addition to this platform. Is it in development? Can we expect this feature soon? @Team212
Thanks!

1 Like

There has been previous discussion of this. Below is an interesting table of what other brokers offer. However, since our shares with Trading 212 are held by Interactive Brokers, this may be less easy to arrange.

@drapartment The shares are held in a nominee account so having the ability to exercise voting rights is extremely unlikely at this point.

This isn’t in development & I’m not sure when it’ll be.

Hi,

Thcb extension is fast approaching and the holders of thcb shares on t212 can vote in favor of the extension. Can t212 please advise how can we cast our votes otherwise if we dont secure enough votes the merger may fall apart and people may lose their money.

Thanks.

Has there been any further developments? Ideally it’d be great if we could do this through/within the platform.

Hey David,

Can you please explain what you mean by they are held in Nominee account? Does that mean trading 212 vote those shares but the the holder of those shares? Or do trading 212 not vote at all, hence, it becomes like non voting broker votes? Just want to understand if t212 just vote those shares even if the holder wants to vote differently?

Thanks

@Izk, we are doing our best to provide access to as many events as possible, and for the time being, the control numbers are sent to the eligible shareholders via email. If anything changes in the future, I will update the thread.

In a nominee account, Trading 212 holds the shares on behalf of the account holder, @MohammedS. This means that the owner on record might be Trading 212 or another intermediary entity, but you are still the beneficial owner and still benefit from any dividends and capital gains.

When it comes to voting rights, all of the eligible holders receive an email with a control number and link to submit their vote. The votes of account holders who have gone through this process are the only submitted ones. Ultimately, it is up to the account holder to decide how they want to exercise their voting rights.

1 Like

Thanks Michael.

I have some shares in a company called Cryptyde. They have a special meeting on 15th March. These shares are held in the ISA account.

What are the possible reasons why I can not vote these shares? I believe ISA shares are not allowed to be lend out for shorting. If that is the case should the shares held in ISA not have an easy path to voting their shares?

Appreciate your help on this.

@B.E @Bogi.H @David @Michael.M

From what I understand T212 are legally required to provide the beneficial owner the voting ? Please do correct me.

The specific law that requires brokers to provide their clients with the opportunity to vote on matters that require shareholder approval is known as the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Section 14(a) of the act mandates that brokers who hold shares in street name (i.e., on behalf of their clients) must provide their clients with proxy voting materials and information about the matters to be voted upon. This ensures that beneficial owners of shares have the right to vote on matters that affect their ownership interests in a company. The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has also issued rules under Section 14(a) to further clarify the requirements for broker voting and proxy disclosure.

That’s American legislation. You’re not American.

What is the U.K. one if you don’t mind me asking? Do you or trading 212 know ?

Found: same in U.K.

the requirement for brokers to provide voting rights to beneficial owners is a legal requirement in the UK under the Companies Act 2006.

Section 146 of the act states that brokers must provide their clients, who are beneficial owners of shares, with information about their voting rights and how to exercise them. Brokers are required to do this within a reasonable period of time before any general meeting of the company. The act also requires brokers to provide their clients with a means of exercising their voting rights, either by sending proxy forms or providing access to an electronic voting system.

In addition, the UK Corporate Governance Code provides guidance on the responsibilities of brokers in relation to the provision of voting rights to beneficial owners. While the code is not a legal requirement, it is widely followed by companies and brokers as a best practice guide for corporate governance.

I request @Team212 provide me with my control number and voting details for cryptyde please. Thank you

Last paragraph of the act.

Not a legal requirement.

1 Like

This relates to corporate governance code not related to section 146.

The voting is a legal requirement re company act 2006 section 146.

It’s much more complex then you are making out because of the way UK brokers hold overseas shares. They’re usually held in CDI’s - which benefit from what’s called Group Exclusion.

This essentially means that the FCA knows it’s very difficult to unpick these accounts and offer voting, so brokers are excluded from doing so. 212 is currently going above and beyond though by offering some voting - which in time you hope should be fleshed out further.

1 Like

Thanks still learning appreciate

2 Likes