Tax regulation Belgium

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum living in Belgium who can explain me how the tax regulation on trading212 works? Like is this monthly/yearly and how do you prepare it?

Hi there, Belgian guy here.

Is there any specific part of the Belgian tax regulations you would like to have more information about?

Dividends? Capital gains? Tax on stock-exchange transactions?

I want some info about the capital gains and TOB. I started in april 2019. I know you have to declare the account but what with our taxes?

Hello Moul, Thanks for being so helpful.

I am thinking of moving to Belgium, could you please let me know how dividends are taxed? I read that there is a 30% dividend tax, is there a maximum amount that is tax free ? Or from the first euro a 30% tax will be applied?

Hi rikos,

Dividends are taxed at a 30% rate indeed, not accounting for the withholding from the source country (15% in case of US dividends for instance).

The first 800 EUR of dividends are tax-free however. Any euro above that threshold is taxed at 30% in Belgium.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Moul, your prompt response is greatly appreciated. What about capital gains what is the tax rate?

Once again thank you for your time.

Belgium is one of the few countries that do not tax realized capital gains.

Exceptionally, Belgium may tax them (in case of what is called “abnormal management” in tax law) but that is rare and depends on the facts at hand.

Typically, buying shares and selling them for a profit after a few weeks/months should not trigger taxation on the realized gains.