Tesla stock split

How can you have a huge loss?

Completly agree with you.

1 Like

the split should have been 10-1. at this rate another split will be needed soon :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m new to trading myself, and this is also my first time dealing with a Split stock.

From my understanding, the 0.2 Shares I owned in Tesla should have been split by 5 and I should have owned a whole (1) share?

Unfortunately though that was not the case, I was Cashed out of my 0.2 Shares and instead I had to manually rebuy shares when Tesla went Live this morning.

Is there any reason why it didn’t do that automatically? or did I jump the gun this morning and by manually buying shares again did I interupt an automated process which would’ve finalised AFTER Telsa Reopened this morning?

Secondly, I don’t understand what is mean by ‘Pie’, but I’m smart enough to know its not the food, can someone explain what it means please?

Your understanding is correct. The only scenario I can think of where this should not have happened is if you are using CFD and your 0.2 shares were spread over 2 or more positions. Is that the case?

Or, is there any chance you had just a tiny fraction fewer than 0.2 shares, e.g. 0.19999999, and it was incorrectly rounded up to 0.2 in the user interface? I’ve seen several examples of rounding inconsistencies in other areas of the app.

When did you open your original Tesla positions?

Definitely not. The split was implemented over the weekend. I think it was complete by Saturday.

LOL. Pies are part of a new feature called AutoInvest, which is in development and hasn’t been released to everybody yet. You need to sign up to get access to it. I only did this a few days ago and I haven’t even tried it yet, so I can’t offer any guidance. You should find everything you need here:

Does anybody know what the maximum quantity for long positions with Tesla is in CFD and was it adjusted to reflect the stock split? Or has it been reduced by Trading 212 recently?

After reading through all 486 messages, I have a question regarding fractional stocks.
I know the what and the how, but I want to know why.
Why were the fractional shares after the split sold off?

If T212 owns a number of shares and marks everyone as owning a portion of that share, then just multiplying everyone’s amount by the split will still equal what T212 has after the split.

For example, let’s say they have 2 shares and 5 people own fractional parts.
Let’s assume people 1 through 5 own

1. 0.18
  2. 0.2
  3. 0.92
  4. 0.35
  5. 0.35

After the split, T212 would have 10 shares split as so

1. 0.9
  2. 1
  3. 4.6
  4. 1.75
  5. 1.75

Instead, by selling off the fractionals, they’ve now got 7, split like so

1. 0
  2. 1
  3. 4
  4. 1
  5. 1

Why did T212 need to sell of the fractional shares?

1 Like

Looks like it was reduced. It’s 96 for me now. Better buy more before it’s reduced to zero like they did with Airbus last time airline stocks were going up.

1 Like

Hi @Shuttleu, welcome to the forum!

I had planned to wait a few days for the dust to settle, and then ask exactly this question.

I totally agree with your example. In addition, the decision to sell off the fractional shares must have given Trading 212 much more work.

1 Like

Do you happen to know what it was in the past?

Is there a list of the maximum quantities for each instrument somewhere on the Trading 212 website?

It was at least 150 or maybe 200. No idea what the maximum was. I remember toying around with it yesterday checking what my profit would be if I put €10,000 or €15,000 on it and it went back to $2000 a share …lol.

Anyway it doesn’t state a maximum quantity anywhere, only minimum. https://www.trading212.com/en/Trading-Instruments?id=3

I’ve noticed the maximum traded quantity is usually reduced when there’s the potential for big gains. It sucks.

See these threads:

1 Like

Thanks. I tried it in my empty test account and it’s 100 for me. Is it 96 for you because you already have 4 shares?

I had a position with 28 shares, which became 140 shares after the split. If the maximum quantity was 100 before the split then it should be 500 now. However, I see that you think it was more like 150 or 200 in the past, so perhaps you’re right when you say:

Correct. I guess it’s capped at 100 for everybody now. Just hope it doesn’t go to zero as this gravy train ain’t over yet.

1 Like

They should display “MAX TRADED QUANTITY” in the “Instrument details” window beside the existing “MIN TRADED QUANTITY”.

Just checked the stock, after hours, already up to $529, wooohooo, just reacted to it on my channel: https://youtu.be/uPfs09B97sg

Back to the subject of why fractional shares were sold. @David said:

This suggests that Trading 212 intends to continue with this approach in the future, rather than supporting a full split of any number of shares with a fractional component.

WHY?

2 Likes

No big deal, just deploy the cash. That’s what I did.

Didn’t the price shoot up by 3% initially and eventually much more though?

It’s “Trading 212”, not “212 Trading”.

Haha. What a load of BS :joy:

3 Likes

Tesla have a $5b Share offering, which is the reason its dropped today.

1 Like