Tesla stock split

Well the entire contents of this topic, the entire contents of the equivalent Apple topic, the official Apple statement and numerous articles on the internet about exactly how stock splits work.

I haven’t seen a single thing that suggests otherwise. Have you?

Also, what’s the alternative? You buy a share for $2,000 on Monday 24/08/2020 and on Monday 31/08/2020 it’s only worth $400?

I’m still not clear on how fractional shares will be handled by Trading 212 or whether there will be a delay in receiving the additional shares for some people. However, I’m fairly sure about this.

I actually intend to buy some more Tesla shares on Monday so I can check some of my theories for future reference. I’ll keep you posted.

Does anybody else think Tesla didn’t go far enough with its stock split?

On Monday 31/08/2020, Tesla’s share price will be about $400 but Apple’s will only be about $125. If the purpose of the split is to make the stock more accessible to retail investors who don’t have access to fractional shares or who want voting rights, why not do a 20-1 or 25-1 split to get the price around or below $100?

Also, although a lower share price doesn’t mean better value, there are a lot of retail investors who incorrectly feel like they’re getting a bargain with “cheaper” shares. This would result in more buyers, which would increase the price gains and ultimately benefit Tesla.

Well it was announced at around 1600 so it would have been in the 300 range but yeah wouldn’t have been surprised on a split to bring it down to around 100

Going buy speculation from Elon’s tweet, the only reason they did a stock split is because the S&P wanted there to be at least a billion shares before allowing them to enter the S&P 500. So they probably just done the bare minimum, don’t think it was really about letting smaller investors in. But obviously just pure speculation based on two emojis

2 Likes

I m just confused about the dates.
Tesla statement says “each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of 4 additional shares…”

Have you read the conversation above? I had the same concern yesterday but @Richard.W did some research and came up with a reasonable explanation.

What was Elon’s actual tweet?

1 Like

Would there have been a downside to a split that resulted in a even lower share price? For example, is there a reason why they wouldn’t want more people having voting rights?

Isn’t that just a reference to Snake Jazz from Rick & Morty? I thought that was about the sounds that Teslas will be able to play from their external speakers?

Maybe, who knows lol, maybe he only put that in the car as a sign :rofl:

1 Like

I’m pretty disappointed that we haven’t had clarification today, considering how much confusion there seems to be.

2 Likes

@Supraman We’ll be sending out a platform message with explanations soon.

4 Likes

Thanks. What’s a “platform message”?

It will be like one of those pop ups you get like “Tesla let off some steam”. Not everyone’s on the forum so it’s only fair to send it on the app for everyone

1 Like

correct me if I’m wrong, seen some people saying they will buy after the split but surely the market split price will be pre market and then go up hopefully meaning they won’t get it at the split price but higher?. A second question say the split price is $400 a week later it goes up to $600, how is our profit worked out if after the split we have 5 shares I.e one pre split

In Theory you are right…BUT…what if the market goes crazy while we in Europe are asleep ?
Actually i think that after the split the rally will continue, if not accelerate…lets see who is right :wink:
time will tell

@David When is “soon” though? Are we talking today, tomorrow, Thursday, or hours before the markets close on Friday? :thinking: TIA

1 Like

That clarification should have been done even before last Friday the 21st.

2 Likes

I would also like to know how soon this can get clarified, prior understanding was fractional share will be sold so I had to buy 0.7 shares to complete my 6 Shares in ISA as a premier price. Which made me increased my Avg share price.

Another thing to note is, will this be a simple split just add 4 more share to every 1 complete share. as it should be or T212 will sell our share at a market price and repurchase them all at a higher price equally to 1 for 5 shares and using our free funds to cover the gap of repurchase.

This happened with ACB reverse merger, where my shares were sold and repurchased at a higher cost. Not only losing me few shares but also my free funds from my account.