To sell this equity you need to buy it first

Hi,

Received this message when trying to make a limit order on Kitov Pharma.

Very strange, set 12 shares to sell at 1.1400 and got that message, keeps repeating as well.

Most likely, you already have a pending sell or a market order on the position you want to close. To execute the order above you would have to cancel all pending or previous orders.

1 Like

Oops, my apologies.

Totally correct.

2 Likes

Hi,

Was looking for information on this topic and this is relevant to my query so jumping on this thread - hope you donā€™t mind.

With re: to having a pending sell or market order on the position - I am trying to put in a sell limit order which is above my current position (to take profit), however, am getting the same error (to sell this equity you need to buy it first).

I already have a stop loss on this position.

The explanation in the thread means that one cannot have a stop loss and take profit sell order on the same stock. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Adil

At present, in the Invest or ISA account, you canā€™t.

Thanks.

Platform seems to be missing basic functionality imo in that caseā€¦

New to investing but Iā€™ve just tried this with a stop limit order to sell (to protect profits)and I wanted to create a stop order to sell(limit my losses).

This is within an ISA account on 1000 shares. It seems you can only do one or the other? Is this normal or is it limited to trading 212/ISA account? Is the Invest functionality the same?

Maybe Iā€™m missing something but it would appear thereā€™s lack of functionality here.

I donā€™t understand it. I own the shared do why am I being limited to create a stop limit to protect profits and a stop limit to limit losses at the same time?
It doesnā€™t make sense to me as I canā€™t double sell!

the platform wonā€™t let you place 2 orders to sell the full amount because there is the possibility both will get triggered, push your account into negative and then action a buy order to correct the problem.

you have to choose 1 order or the other, or place each for just half of your position size.

Hello @Speculate2Accumulate,

On the Invest/ISA account once a sell order is confirmed by a trading venue, you cannot place a second sell order that would overlap with the quantity of the already created sell order. Therefore, you can have only one pending Sell order with the whole amount of shares you have on your account.

Why canā€™t you code into the software once one order is triggered it cancels the other? Itā€™s impossible for it to trigger both orders at once. One will always be met first!

Seems pretty simple to code in an cancel the other order once one is executed.

Surly other trading accounts will let you do this? Is trading 212 different in that respect?

Is this just trading 212?

Surly not all platforms are like this?

can happen on any platform that offers live trades. market volatility can happen suddenly and software rushes to keep up. triggers are always slower than the market so itā€™s very possible to trigger more before the order is cancelled/blocked.

there is no shorting in the invest/ISA accounts so the market will only accept a single volume order, so in order to set conditions you would need a special order type T212 doesnā€™t have.

I guess you could code some software to do this if itā€™s permitted under T212 T&Cs

Seems this may be applicable for a small execution fee and the customer exception the extra risks involved with such a product:

T212 Robo Trading Assistance T&Cs:
https://www.trading212.com/en/robo-trading-agreement

Trading 212 ā€˜How to use Robo Tradingā€™/ProQuant(available in the app store)

This comes back to T212 needing more order options. IB for example have huge array, including setting stops and profit sells on the same order.
I realise as a new ā€œfreeā€ platform they prob dont have the development budget or need to do this.

An easy remedy would be to allow a proper API and allow users to use software like DAS trader to manage the account and utilise more of IBā€™s order type.

It strikes me that their choice of name as ā€œTrading212ā€ is a huge contradiction, given the platform is far more suited to investors vs traders! :joy:

The name comes from its much longer history as a trading platform. They do want to add more order types but the feature expansion is aimed at attracting more than just the traders, people who are thinking of putting money aside for the long haul etcetera for a more rounded service. I think OCO is quite favoured for addition, just a matter of how long the improvements take.