Transferring In & Out - Possible without liquidating?

I’ve read conflicting information and would be grateful for some clarification:

Is it possible to transfer investments in and out of both Trading 212 ISA & Invest accounts, without having to liquidate investments first and without paying Trading 212 a fee (assuming the other broker in this instance transferring to/from allowed it)?

If not, I really think this would be a good feature to add and one that would increase the perceived safety of investing with Trading 212.

2 Likes

I’m also interested in transfers in general (not just ISA).

This is a point of friction for some of us to invest long term, so I’d be great if transfers are possible.

1 Like

Due to the tax, this is not possible I believe.

ISA positions must be sold off first to then be repurchased in the Invest account.

I believe it has to do with tax avoidance otherwise.

forgive my ignorance: what’s an ISA account? I’m italian, is ISA something only for UK citizens? If it’s for anyone (UK and not UK citizens), if I do trading in T212 do I have also a T212 ISA?

Yes, an ISA is for Brits only. It’s a type of account with a special tax exemption perk

1 Like

You can go Invest to the S&S ISA without selling and needing to re-buy yourself.

The term is “Bed & ISA”. I don’t know if T212 support that.

Obviously if you’ve made significant gains in your Invest account (£12,300+) you’ll need to work out your CGT to pay. In that scenario I would manually sell and re-buy inside the ISA instead, and keep some remaining in the Invest and wait until next April to repeat. You can also only put £20k into the S&S ISA each year if that’s a factor.

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/isa/bed-and-isa

Yeah, I would also like to know this. Portfolio transfer option into/out of Invest account is the only thing keeping me from funding my account at the moment.

We’re actively working on in specie transfers.

4 Likes

Hi David, has there been any progress. I read on the forum that in specie would be available by 3Q2020. I am looking to invest more with Trading212, but am hesitant right now, since I will never be able to move the shares anywhere without liquidating them.
Greetings

2 Likes