Add monthly variation of investment

It would be nice to see more easily how the portfolio performed month by month.
Something similar to what justetf shows:

6 Likes

Agree I like the visuals on JustETF - it would show you consistencies over time if your picks can outperform an index or not. I think they are working on something that can give a time weighted rate of return. Not sure it would go to this level, but cool if it does!

3 Likes

This would be a nice feature yes. I might implement it for myself :slight_smile: The calculations must be planned carefully. In case I manage this, I’ll drop a note @Tenshi

2 Likes

or use portfolio performance

among many other things, heatmap:

benchmark vs index

2 Likes

Looks nice, @kali. I would give it a try :slight_smile: I am interested in having a seamless import process with the exported files on Trading212.
It would be a good opportunity for me to download and test it. Thanks for sharing the tool!

Also, I am curious if it supports UK stocks as well. See, I have been testing many tools these days to get some ideas, but not having the stocks I own on Trading212 is a show stopper :frowning:

you add stocks (initially) yourself, so in theory it supports any stock on any exchange with any currency.

I use a google spread sheet to reformat t212 contract note emails and auto import them into PP (had a post in this forum somewhere about it)

despite being open source and free PP is a very very detailed software and looks daunting at first but once you start using it anything else feels inadequate.

and once you’ve done your initial setup, there is little needed to maintain.

it is not a software for “mobile phone tap” culture unfortunately :slight_smile:

here is a “new transaction box” for example.

and here is my favorite report (dividends accumulated monthly)

1 Like

This looks really cool! Thanks for sharing!
It looks a bit complex to start with tho, also do you have to manually enter the current value of the stocks to update the charts?

its a complete portfolio management tool, if you are planning to invest for 3-5-10-20 years I highly recommend getting familiar with it.

no, you select a source for prices on initial setup

Hi! Thanks again for sharing.
I managed to set up it finally, it is really nice. I love the monthly heatmap.

Do you know where I can find more explanations about the tools? I am quite a rookie on these things, So I am not great reading some of these plots.
For instance, the asset chart shows how my investment is growing over time, but there are these big steps in the days I deposit more money in the account. I’m not very interested in that, it is already showed in trading212, I’d rather have the possibility to visualize how is going up and down my portfolio in % like if it was it is a “security” like the app calls it.

first thing to get used to is, PP uses TTWROR (or more commonly known as XIRR) in most performance calculations. It is difficult to assess the performance of an investment(s) with a single number, but if we have to XIRR is commonly accepted as best since it has “time” baked into the formula. Another thing to keep in mind is PP factors in everything it can like fees, tax returns, dividends while calculating any type of “return”

The numbers shown in most (if not all) brokers is absolute performance (profit/money in total)
here are some examples from my sipp portfolio:

ordered by abs perf:

ordered by TTWROR:

ordered by IRR:

Do you know where I can find more explanations about the tools?

if it is specific to PP you can try their forums and ask there, otherwise general web resources like investopedia

For instance, the asset chart shows how my investment is growing over time, but there are these big steps in the days I deposit more money in the account.

you can: “add data series → common → delta” to same chart which will show only growth for your portfolio

IMO the best place to check your performance is the “chart” under performace.
It will show and benchmark your portfolio(s) in percent. You can also add a benchmark here to compare. A benchmark is “another portfolio or security” that buys that portfolio at the exact time and amount as your own transactions, which is a very good way of comparing yourself to “market” I recommend adding some generic ETFs as benchmarks here.

in my screenshot you can see I’ve even added two SNP500 etfs in different currencies to even compare vs FX effects.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Really valuable information :yum: