Portfolio benchmark against major indexes

I was thinking about my investments and how good are they in either a crash, a crysis or in a bull run. I keep going to yahoo finance to measure the valuation/devaluation against the SP500 index and then I thought that this could be a good feature to have in T212.

We should be able to directly compare our portfolios against the indexes we choose, be it SP500, Dow30, Nasdaq, whatever, all built in the T212 application.

This would be even better if we can make this comparison by day, week, month, quarter, year so we know how well/bad are we doing.

28 Likes

You make a great point. That would be a good feature.
Morningstar do have this feature within their Portfolio XRay, through their premium membership.
You can select individual investments or one combined chart against any number of indexes or even other stocks or funds.

2 Likes

Same. I +10000 this.

1 Like

Good Idea would love to have that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this feature in the pipeline yet? Really miss this since moving from Freetrade.

Your proposal has been evaluated and will be considered. I’ll keep you posted.

11 Likes

+1 for this proposal, it’s super convenient

1 Like

I guess that in order to compare them it would have to calculate the “Time-Weighted Rate of return” of our investments over a certain time-frame and compare it to the one of the benchmark for the same time-frame?

Probably best to calculate it based on the inflows/transfers/deposits of money into the persons T212 account.

2 Likes

yep that is correct, a “benchmark” buys the said benchmark at exactly same time and same amount as you bought stock X in your portfolio. Simply saying SNP500 did 15% last year would be meaningless unless the numbers are TTWROR

1 Like

+1 for this proposal too. I know competitors in the low cost brokerage space also allow the ability to compare your portfolio to funds, such as VWRL.

1 Like

The platform I use for my SIPP has an option to compare performance to popular indexes as well as a Morningstar X-ray report to show what your cumulative holdings are across funds, to illustrate your exposure to particular stocks.

Appreciate that kind of data is for those looking to diversify but it’s interesting to see your investment broken down by geographies, sectors, the correlation between funds and ratio of bonds, commodities and equities etc.

2 Likes

Portfolio management tools, and as well asset allocation tools are very welcomed. The Morningstar integration will help to do that.

2 Likes

But at what cost though? If we can do things externally for free, and it costs to integrate, I would prefer keeping things as is.

Essentially treat 212 as a basic execution only service. Anything else is a bonus.

2 Likes

Me 2 (20 characters)

I believe you mean morningstar x-ray solution white-label we see in almost every broker and as a side note, morningstar is terrible anyway :slight_smile:

I can’t believe those clowns are making so much money by providing that shitty interface. Makes me want to start up my own company :slight_smile:

Morningstar have more tools, the ones you see on some brokers are the “free” basic ones. Brokers won’t want to pay for full packages to offer that to their clients for free.

Morningstar is one of the favorites research & portfolio analysis platforms for asset management firms (including funds asset management), financial advisers, private banking, family offices.

What alternatives do you think are best?

Google sheets. 100% Customisable

morningstar x-ray is not free at all. I have no problem with the content of the data they provide, it is invaluable, I was just shitting on their interface which is god awful. Been using it for years through various platforms and I still struggle to select a “non morningstar category benchmark” on most screens.

For the quality of the data I don’t have many better recommendations except may be benzinga. Using benzinga option alerts I made a good chunk of money in 2020. But benzinga is waaaay too expensive compared to morningstar (not sure how the pricing is on corporate level)

This is a bit apples and oranges man :slight_smile: Just as an example can you get google sheets to alert me when there is unusual amount of option activity in a particular stock and only when the payments are on the premium side, i.e someone is willing to pay more than median trade values (or sell for less than medians)

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, yahoo finance compares the annual performance of your portfolio to the S&P 500 for free. They also have a cool feature that updates your holdings automatically if your broker is supported. Unfortunately, European Brokers are not supported atm.

Morningstar X-ray is a basic paid tool, but for brokers’s clients it’s free. Brokers have to offer info and legal documentation, so they have a Morningstar integration, the basic cheaper Morningstar package have also some basic tools, it’s better than nothing. :wink:

Morningstar interface isn’t perfect, I agree. But comparing it to Bloomberg terminal, it is like heaven. Bloomberg seem like I’m still using MS-DOS, is so awful, UX is a nightmare, have a lot of info, but the presentation and accessibility seems like someone is being punished for something he/she did. And Bloomberg terminal price tag is huge.