Anyone else livid about what's going on?

Yeah Iā€™m not sure this is the reason for it, though.

Itā€™s annoying and makes no sense, I agree, but I was putting it down to profit takers and the sheer volume of retail investors in the market right now that are messing up normal behaviour by playing ER as catalysts for a payday rather than a step up of a LT investment.

Even the active FMs are doing it. Ark have trimmed PINS, AAPL, ILMN, ROKU, DOYU, FB, TEAM and XLNX in the last two days.

The market works on the future, as mentioned the reason these stocks surged since March was the anticipation of the last 2 Qā€™s earnings. Only blow out earnings far above revised expectations will result in immediate more uplift.

Plenty of people, retail and institutions will use the liquidity created by earnings to liquidate their positions. People sell for 100 different reasons, on multiple different time frames.

Anyone who buys just before earnings is gambling in my mind not trading or investing.

4 Likes

Latest victim of this stupid market sentiment is Datadog.
Down 10 Percent after beating EPS by 433%

really. what the F?

1 Like

The market is very very volatile atm. on the back of the vaccine announcement all the tech stocks were sold and crashed. imagine if they found the vaccine doesnā€™t protect for very long etc,

That 433% equates to 4 cent though. Iā€™m interested in the 7% they beat revenue expectations which is several million. They shouldnā€™t be down at all. I reckon a good time to buy in is today.

1 Like

Well this stock was on a bull run so not really surprising

Every valuation metric for Datadog shows itā€™s overpriced. What it says to me is that the market sentiment leading to itā€™s all time high in prior months was crazy not the reaction to itā€™s earnings.

1 Like

how about the rule of 40? looks pretty good to meā€¦

edit; here is the calculation I found:

Definition of Rule of 40

Rule of 40 measures a companyā€™s combined growth and profit margin. Many venture capital and growth equity investors believe this ratio should exceed 40%, especially for software companies.

Rule of 40 = FCF Margin + Revenue Growth

Applying this formula, Rule of 40 for Datadog is calculated below:

Levered Free Cash Flow Margin [ 10.9% ]
(+) Revenue Growth [ 82.1% ]
(=) FCF Yield [ 93.0% ]

edit2: this calculation could be completely wrong and outdated, found it on finbox website, maybe some can check it?

I find the sentirment still confusing.

Here you have Cisco reporting a loss, but not as bad as estimated (still a loss) and the only reason it wasnā€™t as bad as estimated was because of covid and people working from home. Stock rises 7 percent.

Now thinking back to why some other stocks tanked, it was because they did really well, but investors wondered if they could keep the momentum post covid. Fair enoughā€¦ but 1, covid ainā€™t going anywhere for the foreseeable future. 2, why is the reaction so different?

Cisco reports high loss, but itā€™s not as bad . Attribute to covid. Which means post covid they will get shafted. Stocks up

Others beat revenue, mainly cos of covid, so post covid, they wonā€™t go under, just not beat estimates. Worse case scenario. Stocks go down

Wtf do these investors want?

2 Likes

Apples to Oranges really.

You compare likes of ddog who run up 100%+ vs CSCO who has been down mostly since covid.

3 Likes

bro why it would feel better that you are Ā£2k down. Believe me it feels awful but you know, if you do sensible investments youā€™ll be Ā£20k + :slight_smile:

I have also made mistakes but I think my best mistake is GNUS and one analyst give rating $6 - $8. I bought around 3k shares on $3 average price. So yeah thatā€™s part of the game :wink:
GNUS is doing very good investments and in future I see a very good EPS. Once you trust something then it is sale for you when the price is down. so probably it is time you put in some more money to average your losses, but only if you believe on the companies and not just playing it like a game. sorry if you find it harsh :slight_smile:

Find what harsh? Iā€™ve lost what you are saying. :sweat_smile:

All investments are a game, itā€™s all about risk and reward. You donā€™t have to be in it long term itā€™s all about DD, and entry/exit.

GNUS is a pure P&D stock that suffered from a very long bleed out. It was a good play at the time but very high risk.

Iā€™ve zero interest and faith in the stock long term, however their offer has improved steadily over the last few months. I was only meant to be there for the swing and left holding a bag.

I made about a grand profit on GNUS back in the pump days. I left 1280 shares in to see where it would go. I definitely got caught in it being pulled back to $1, when I had it $2 on charts.

In hindsight should I have taken those out too, definitely. But Iā€™m fine with it, itā€™s a learning mistake, I could average it down but happy for it to tick along.

Itā€™s likely to be over 2 again so Iā€™m happy not to seal in any loss by selling.

What a chart :rofl:

Poss earnings on the Monday or the 20th :thinking:

1 Like

No I am not saying that you lost anything. I mean sometimes people can be triggered by anything :-p so yeah :smiley: GNUS I believe in their team and I donā€™t do day trading, not for me because I have earned/lost a lot and at the end of the day it is more hard work than when I make. GNUS will definitely be a thing, not now not tomorrow but in 3 years.

Oh I see :slight_smile: yeah got to take emotion out of it. Itā€™s a paper loss, I donā€™t need that cash tied up in it. Not much I can do to affect it, maybe tell everyone to download the app and rate five star. :thinking: :rofl:

I actually think it all feels a bit weird, the cartoons are something you would expect to see 20 years ago done by someone for a school project.

Even weirder with the likes of Arnie and Shaq on board.

If it gets near break even Iā€™ll be leaving.

:crossed_fingers: a second pump. Who knows, maybe the earnings might spark new interest.

A lot of the tutes that got on board are topping up so if they are then they must know something. BlackRock really getting stuck in.

1 Like

How is it apples and oranges?

Almost every stock right now will be impacted by covid.

Itā€™s growth or its demise.

What Iā€™m trying to say is, why would investors invest in Cisco and bring it up 7 percent at a rubbish earning call but drop datadog at 433 percent hike.
Iā€™m confused because Iā€™m probably simplifying things too much.

Datadog is now getting competition etc which might be the reasons itā€™s slumping, perhaps a bad example.
How about ovetstock

Overstock did great, but the main reason for the dump was apparently because Investors felt they cannot sustain Thier growth. Because they attributed it to covid times. Fair enough

But why would they take Thier hats off at Cisco, who also attributed Thier gains to covid? Or Pinterest or Snapchat? Itā€™s all covid related!

Feel for ya bro.

Canā€™t be easy seeing a big number in red

1 Like

Cisco is a long term successful stock as opposed to Datadog which isnā€™t. The two are nothing alike. So Datadog may well be massively overvalued despite beating earnings predictions and market may well value down as a result.

1 Like

Right. Fair enough.
So letā€™s wait for the earning beat to correct? Lol
Most of the popular stocks are over valued. Why wait for the earning beat to drop the hammer on it?
Meh
As I said from the very beginning. My gripe is that itā€™s becoming increasingly hard to invest based on facts. Itā€™s becoming a lottery now. Yes I understand stocks go up and down. How are you supposed to invest in a lottery system?

That is where risk/reward ratio comes to play, why prudent investor wants to purchase share with margin of safety vs overpaying for hopes on ā€œcertainā€ future growth. :partying_face:

Thus you have ddog, where you have a bigger risk and hope it lives the expectations on future growth. Or you had CSCO with 35-37$, which is a bargain, not without risks, but at least with margin of safety, due to lower price paid.

But anyway, seeing T212 hotlist, my views are minority here. Common t212 user has Tesla, Apple etc. :slight_smile:

I have 3 stocks out of t212 top 100 in my portfolio.(BABA,JNJ,INTC)

3 Likes

Nice to hear someone is still backing baba, Iā€™ve hovered over the sell button for the last two weeks!

1 Like