Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

Not so, young jedi;

1 Like

Essentially just another bleeding TSLA post! May as well be on this forum! :smile:

1 Like

As always, thanks @Joey_Fantana! :wink:
And it also addresses the “issue” with overlapping stocks.

if you have a slower load on mobile you can try an expanded screenshot which will screenshot everything and not just what is visible on your screen at the time :stuck_out_tongue: just not sure how well it works with browsers.

SMT & EWI seem to be down today, anyone know what a good entry point would be, or does it not matter.

4 Likes

I am a bit concerned I may of put my eggs in too many baskets with them. I have a position in MNKS, SMT, USA, BGCG. My only concern is an overlap with SMT and USA.

Likewise. I also hold SMT, USA, BGCG, but instead of MNKS have SMITHSON Investment Trust. I’m still on the fence about whether holding SMT and USA is too much of an overlap but I’ve yet to see anything to really to put me off holding both. Both the below are from their site and as of 30th September. Only Amazon and Tesla are present in the top 10 of both.

Top 10 US

Top 10 SMT

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think it’s too bad an overlap, last count was 20 overlaps, giving SMT ~72 unique holdings vs USA ~41 unique holdings.

Not bad holdings to be duplicated in.

Affirm Holdings, Inc.
Airbnb Inc.
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
Alphabet Inc.
Amazon
Aurora Innovation Inc.
Away (JRSK Inc.)
Carvana
Convoy, Inc.
Denali Therapeutics
Epic Games, Inc.
Ginkgo Bioworks Inc.
Illumina
Indigo Agriculture, Inc.
Lyft Inc.
Netflix Inc.
NVIDIA
Shopify
Slack Technologies Inc.
Snowflake Inc.

My BG holdings seem to be losing me money at the moment.

1 Like

Not familiar with some of these companies but a lot of strong ones.

I am also down at the moment but only started investing recently enough.

1 Like

Wider opportunities for Scottish Mortgage

Shareholders in Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust have backed a move to increase by 5 per cent the proportion of the trust that can be invested in private companies. This will increase the permitted limit from 25 per cent to 30 per cent of the overall portfolio, measured at the time of purchase of the next private company. The resolution was passed with an overwhelming majority of the votes cast at the company’s annual general meeting in June.

This will give the joint managers, James Anderson and Tom Slater, more scope to invest in the best opportunities which they find, regardless of whether these are listed companies or not, without changing the core investment proposition for shareholders.

Source: https://magazinebailliegifford.com/Trust41/in-brief/

5 Likes

I wonder is this the reason for the recent price drop? Perhaps some investors are not happy with it?

“Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust has a significant exposure to unlisted investments. The trust’s risk could be increased as these assets may be more difficult to buy or sell, so changes in their prices may be greater.”

Although obviously the majority of shareholders approved. And I can only trust that the folks managing smt know what theye doing. Maybe they want to buy more spaceX.

3 Likes

I think there’s a great opportunity in unlisted companies (absolutely there’s also a risk) and as already @pipo put it, I too trust the folks at BG with their expertise in picking winners. And let’s not forget $SMT is not a short-term stock. :wink: :v:t3:

4 Likes

For bgcg

26th November is the meeting to vote on them issuing more shares to reduce the premium from its current, holy shit 32%!!! (Thats up from the 20% that made them want to issue more)

My plan is to wait till the issue if it gets approved and buy when that 20-30% drop hits.

As I’m not in at all yet I’ve just put aside some.of my regular investment funds (and some I took profit from on covid picks) so I think its worth waiting for that dip rather than buying in facing q potential 30% loss in a few weeks.

Does this seem sensible?

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly;

I’ve only had a position for a few weeks.

I was up around 15% or so so I’ve cashed out for now, keeping a close eye for after the 26th to go back in!

2 Likes

I made the mistake of buying in BGCG last week at the height of its trading (as we’d had weeks of continual rises and didn’t want to miss the boat, not knowing the issues with the additional shares).

In the week following its share price has dropped almost 30% and then at 3pm yesterday it had risen enough I was at break even again. However, today we’ve had another significant drop and don’t understand this continual volatility. If we add in the additional shares, I can be sitting in a significant loss in the next few weeks

Like one or two others I am not in this. Considering either adding this or shifting from FCSS to this, however this seems quite volatile, what caused the selloff today? (-7% at time of writing)

There’s currently a huge premium over the value of the assets and there’s a bit of uncertainty in China atm with the gov interfering with regulations etc.

Premium is already +32% so if you’re buying now you’re paying 30% over the value of the assets. That’s a hell of a gamble pm the manager

Yeah aware of that just wasnt sure wy today more thn other days it tanked. Also my other exposures to China havent tanked so not that china issue.