BGCG trust added I’m happily surprised

EWI also looks to be finding an entry point to be fair.

Yeah should be. Presuming the team are adding all new instruments to both of course. With the exception of any OTC stocks that are restricted (similar to ADRs) but all BG Trusts are UCITS-friendly :wink:

I agree. I’m usually careful about IT’s at a high premium but in this instance I think I’ll take the plunge pretty much for those exact reasons!

1 Like

I bought in to BGCG and PHI while they were cheap(er).

Waiting on US Growth tomorrow, hoping my earnings investments pay off today and tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes

How do you find out the current NAV or discount? SMT and China growth have taken a bit of a battering in the last day or two. Is there a hard and fast rule with when to buy more? For example BGCG is currently at a 20% ish discount. Time to load up?

Also, I’m not very knowledgeable about the history of the China Growth Trust or BG in general.

But I’m just wondering what is so special exactly about China Growth? From looking at the chart is seems to have been doing almost nothing for the last 5 years.

I mean if you invested around 2017 it would have been a long wait until you saw some decent returns.

BGCG 76% in 6 months, and as you can see, growth it accelerating.

It is a growth ETF, so it could take some time, but it looks like a good time to get in considering the latest spike and the growth in China in general.

It’s also nice to spread your money in markets other than US, BG have some great offerings and results from their funds, so I believe they can pick the right companies when it comes to China growth.

You can find NAV statistics on the BG website.

Which line is the CHAINA one. If its the darker green one thats pretty good.

China Growth was managed by another company called Witan until September, where Baillie Gifford took over. Hence the boost in performance as BG are restructuring the fund.

Witan ran the fund as an Asia focus fund but now BG are converting it into a solely China fund.

It’s also an investment trust not an ETF.
Actively managed and geared.

3 Likes

any other trusts worth looking into?

It’s currently trading at a premium rather than a discount, which means the price you pay for the trust is higher than the value of the companies/shares within it.

The same is true in reverse; when a trust is at a discount the price you pay is less than the value of the individual components.

The current discount and premiums are available on the Baillie Gifford website for the IT :slight_smile:

Edit: Places like Morningstar and Trustnet usually also show the discount/premium

SMITHSON Investment Trust holdings (SSON) is another decent one.

The website is pretty well geared up with info.

It’s running at quite a premium right now, this may be down to the restructuring?

They do still have positions outside of China I believe from the documents.

Can’t figure it out now I’m on mobile. Think it’s the light one. Here’s where the screenshot is from: https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/t/il49/baillie-gifford-china-growth-trust-plc

What about shin nippon trust. Looks pretty good, might buy le dip.

That’s the one https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/literature-library/funds/investment-trusts/china-growth-trust/baillie-gifford-china-growth-trust-monthly-factsheet/.

To be honest I have no idea about Japan so I can’t really comment on the shin nippon.

NEW BAILLIE FUNDS ARE IN! USA European & UK

2 Likes

I’m hoping they’ll be fractional for pie purposes.

2 Likes

In my opinion, investing in the Japanese economy would be the same as throwing your money in the river. Their economy has been desperate since before I was born.

I saw an article in the FT last weekend saying something like ‘Japanese economy hits highest highs since the early 90s’ and the accompanying picture was a photo of The Terminator. That’s not even the all time high, which apparently happened much earlier again.

Although I will admit, despite all that, at that price point it is hard to say no and give it a punt.

1 Like

Here’s no data about premium/discount :thinking:

Buffet bought into 4 Japanese trading firms earlier this year… I’m still on the fence though

That looks like a fund (OEIC) rather than an Investment Trust (IT). Premiums and discounts apply to IT’s only - as far as I’m aware.

1 Like