Investors living in The Netherlands

I you pay taxes in the Netherlands, the first €50.000 (since 1-1-2021) isn’t taxed.

afaik there isn’t any capital gains tax in the Netherlands (and the dividends also have special treatment as you can subtract paid dividend taxes from your income tax), there’s a wealth tax though if your savings/investments go above the 50k. I’m also new to this tax stuff (will have my first tax form with investments this year) so you should consult the belastingsdienst site or other individuals on this thread which are better at this :smile:

Hoe moeten we dalijk allemaal opgeven aan de belastingsdienst van trading 212 in box 3.
Moet je elke fractionele aandeel apart erin doen?

Volgens mij niet. Belastingdienst kijkt alleen naar totalen:

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontentnl/belastingdienst/prive/vermogen_en_aanmerkelijk_belang/vermogen/belasting_betalen_over_uw_vermogen/grondslag_sparen_en_beleggen/berekening-2020/

zoals @chantal had gezegd, de belastingdienst kijkt alleen naar totale waarde op vlgm 31 dec of 1 jan. Ook moet je ontvangen dividenden en betaalde dividend belasting per land opgeven.

Oh zo dan snap ik het! Dit kan ik toch doen met die nieuwe csv functie en de maandelijkse overzicht die ik van trading 212 krijgt van de waarde van mijn aandelen en de hoeveelheden?

Dat hoeft niet eens. Totaal waarde aan einde jaar is voldoende. Geldt ook voor crypto’s indien je die hebt. Via CSV export kan je wel uitrekenen hoeveel dividendbelasting je betaald hebt voor buitenlandse aandelen. Dat kan je weer aftrekken geloof ik.

Ik heb via de klantenservice een samenvatting/uittreksel gevraagd, om via de IB-aangifte de betaalde dividendbelasting terug te vragen.

Aan dat overzicht heb je dus voor je Nederlandse aangifte helemaal niets helaas… Er staat een totaal ontvangen dividendbedrag op, niet uitgesplitst naar belegging of land. Nou zijn het geen enorme bedragen, dus ik accepteer maar dat ik die paar euro niet terug krijg.

Exact de verkeerde grondhouding om rijk te worden dus. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ik zie ineens geen nederlands meer op 212 het is nu allemaal engels, weet iemand vanwaar de wijziging?

Geen idee. Ik zou het even in Help vragen.

Hi there. I’m collecting the required docs in preparation for the income tax and I’m not sure which are the right statements to use from T212. I asked support and they sent me an annual statement, but it doesn’t seem to have an overview of the portfolio by 31/12/2020.

The monthly statement might be enough, but not sure if the value to use for Box 3 is actually the “Closing Balance” or the “Equity”. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

Had quite a lengtly e-mail discussion with the trading212 help desk on this matter. In the end I was told they cannot provide me with a statement which give me the total account value on 01.01.20 and 31.12.20. Also details concerning dividend payments they cannot provide.

I told them for Dutch investors and tax payers it is important to receive such a statement so it can be used to declare taxes in The Netherlands.

This was (part of) their answer:

“I would like to inform you that we can provide you with the following documents, Monthly account statement and annual account statement, you can also download your trading activity in a CSV file from the History tab of your Tradign212 account.

Please consider that the statements are accepted in all countries we provide our services by all tax authorities.

We will not be able to provide you with a tax statement of your portfolio value, since the positions are still not closed and the live result of your positions changes on a daily bases, in the statements which you have received you will see that only the closed positions are included.

At this moment we can only provide you with tax statements that you have already received, we distribute only the net dividends, which you can find in the statement.

I will make sure to forward your request for statement improvement to the relevant department so we can consider implementing it in the near future.”

Not really happy with the answer, but not sure I can do anything about it… I just hope they will take this matter seriously and will improve the yearly statement for Tax payers in The Netherlands.

As for the value, you can use the monthly mail which states the value at the beginning of the month. For example 1-1-2021.

The iOS (maybe Android too) has a feature to generate CSV files. One of the columns states the taxes deducted from dividends. An export. of all dividend payments would be sufficient. Import it in a spreadsheet and you have the totals. You can save it to a PDF. Don’t know if you need to attach it to the IB aangifte.

Thanks for your reply.

The values on the monthly statements are different than the values I note by myself at the end of the month, so I do not think they are of much help to be honest. I’ve checked multiple statements and the values on them all differ from the values I wrote down by hand…

The CSV files don’t tell me what the exchange rates were at the time of payment, no tax percentages, so also not very helpful and a lot of work to figure it all out (if possible). Why not just give met the gross and net totals of the dividends paid in EUR?

All said, I trust Trading 212 to improve the statement coming year. Small changes made on their side will make big changes on the investors side. TBC…

Yes, why? Life could be much simpler.

We have only the net dividend per share in USD and total net dividend in EUR.

So we have to calculate the total gross dividend in EUR or the tax withhold in EUR. And all without the Exchange Rate used.

In Netherlands, you have to discriminate the capital gains by instrument type, e.g. stocks, debt, funds, derivatives, etc, by country of the trading markets and by country of the platform used?

And discriminate also between fixed income interest income and stocks/ETFs dividends?

No. Just the value in total per 31 December (investments, savings, etc) minus paid taxes on dividends or/and liabilities.

Ok, it explain why Degiro shows the 31.12 balance (not important in Portugal).
In Portugal is all about (Sold value - Buy value) for capital gains, and Gross Dividends or Interest Income and taxes withhold. Discriminating the countries of origin and the platform countries.

Our tax persons want to know everything.

But seeing the 31.12 balance, it shows potential gains and losses, they could be realized on not. You pay tax on potential gains and losses in Netherlands?

PS: Nice companies you have in there, most of my EUR stocks are Dutch-domiciled.

In The Netherlands you basically pay a wealth tax. Everything you have in savings and investments* over the tax free limit (now around 33k but will be increased to 50k) you have to pay a tax based on what you possibly could earn out of it. There is a scheme which tells exactly the percentages based on the different level of wealth. The system for individuals here is basically the more you have the more taxes you pay.

*It doesn’t consider real estate and “important” stake in a company (5% or more).

If you wanna know more I leave you here a copy of how it should be the numbers from the next fiscal year:

As of January 1st 2021 the tax burden in box 3 on taxpayers with relatively small assets (less than € 220,000) will become lighter.

• The tax-free allowance will increase from € 30,846 to € 50,000. For partners that translates to an increase from € 61,692 to € 100,000;
  • The bracket limits are re-established, with the second bracket starting at a box 3 capital of € 50,000 and the 3rd bracket with a capital of € 950,000;
  • As a result of the increase in the tax-free allowance, the number of taxpayers paying tax on income in box 3 will decrease by approximately 900,000. To partially cover this, the tax rate in box 3 will be increased from 30% to 31%.

Quick explanation of the box 3 tax system: In box 3, not the actual yields (dividend, interest, capital gains) on net assets are taxed, but rather an assumed yield.

For savings the assumed yield has decreased from 0,07% to 0,03%

For investments the assumed yield has increased from 5,28% to 5,69%

Value of assets 0,03% 5,69% Effective flat-rate on value of assets
€ 0 – € 50,000 67% 33% 1,90%
€ 50,000 – € 950,000 21% 79% 4,50%
More than € 950,000 0% 100% 5,69%

For example:
Partners with a joint net value of assets (box 3) of € 250,000 will pay € 1,841 in 2020. In 2021 the taxation over the same amount will be € 1,689 (see calculation below).

€ 250,000 -/- € 100,000 (tax-free allowance) = € 150,000

Value of assets 0,03% 5,69% Effective flat-rate on value of assets
€ 0- € 50,000 (€50,000) 67% = € 33,500 33% = € 16,500 1,90% (= 0.589% tax rate)
€ 50,000 – € 950,000 (€ 100,000) 21% = € 21,000 79% = € 79,000 4,50% (= 1.395% tax rate)
More than € 9500,000 0% 100% 5,69% (= 1,764% tax rate)
Total € 54,500 €95,500
X 0,03% X 5,69%
€ 16 € 5,434
Taxable base €16 +€ 5,434 = € 5,450
Tax rate is 31% €5,450 x 31% = € 1,286
Tax payable is € 1,689.50

Based on the above, in general the effective tax rate on assets below € 50,000 is 0,589% and the effective tax rate for assets below € 950,000 is 1,395%.

In short, (0,589% x €50,000) = €294,50 and (1,395% x €100,000) = €1,395

In total a tax burden of € 1,689.50

Declaring assets if over € 31,340

In the future, taxpayers with assets worth more than € 31,340, will still have to declare their assets in box 3 in their personal income tax return. The fact that their assets are under the threshold of € 50,000 is irrelevant. The reason for this is twofold: 1. the Dutch tax authorities will share this information with other government bodies and 2. they will use this information to double check and determine whether or not taxes might still be owed.

4 Likes

In Portugal, the tax calculations are a lot easier than yours → Tax Authorities tax anything that moves.
Everything starting at 0,01 EUR in income (salary, capital gains, interest income, real estate, etc) and minimum tax rate is 28%, no freebies. You earn, you pay.

So you have a tax-free allowance. We don’t have anything like that. And we start declaring from 0.01 EUR.

That why, all Portuguese major companies are now domiciled in Netherlands.

PS: We even have a “Sun Tax”, the houses with higher sun exposition pay higher property tax.

1 Like

How is that easier than just tax anything that is more than an x amount of money. Total amount (including capital gains) below 33k in 2020? Not taxed.