Investors living in The Netherlands

Hello everybody,

Just to clarify the issue with the taxes coming from capital gains and/or dividends from companies outside the Netherlands.

For example, I got some dividends from AT&T; Is the final amount credited at my account before or after the tax in the US? Should we somehow do something to pay taxes in the US or everything is taken care of before the transfer at my account and with our tax declaration we just try to avoid double taxation?

If you receive a dividend from the US 15% (the w8-ben form is filled upon account creation) is automatically withheld. So what you receive in dividends is net. As far as I know you don’t have to pay any capital gains taxes and all dividend taxes withheld from Dutch companies can be substracted from your income tax. You do pay a wealth tax over a certain value of your investments and savings.
This is all assuming you’re living in the netherlands and pay tax there.

Investing is in box 3. The first 35.000ish isn’t taxed. You can deduct paid taxes on dividends next year at your Inkomstenbelasting. We should get a report how many taxes are withheld in 2020.

I wish it was 35000ish, but it is € 30.846
https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontentnl/belastingdienst/prive/vermogen_en_aanmerkelijk_belang/vermogen/belasting_betalen_over_uw_vermogen/grondslag_sparen_en_beleggen/berekening-2020/voorbeeld-alleenstaande-met-spaargeld

Not officially approved yet but it will become 50k in 2021:

" * The tax allowance for savings and investments (box 3) is being raised from €31,000 to €50,000 per person."

2 Likes
  1. USD
  2. Paypal/Skrill
  3. Paypal/Skrill > back to my Dutch bank Account. And or other Paypal or Skrill accounts attached to other bank accounts. You can get quite creative with it.

Thats awesome. Less room for mistakes, and more room for profits without trouble :+1:

Je zou EUR/USD is op 1 Maand Chart moeten bekijken, geweldige patroon, is niet lang geleden doorbroken nu, maar heb hier jaren winst uit getrokken.

Bovenaan Eur/Usd

Onderaan DXY (Dollar) (Tegenspiegelbeeld van Euro)

Dit is nogal een oude analyse, maar zo zie je hoe ik naar Eur/Usd kijk en koop & verkoop momenten kan inplannen.

Ja dat niveau had ik ook al gezien. Benieuwd of er een reversal komt zodra Covid beetje achter de rug is in de USA. Dollar is er zwak nu tov Euro en Britse Pond.

1 Like

@chantal are there any tax benefits in The Netherlands similar to an ISA in the UK? I used to work in The Netherlands but never opened a bank account there.

As far as I know only this what was posted earlier:

So if you pay taxes in The Netherlands the first €31.000 of your capital (savings, investments, etc) aren’t taxed. You only start paying taxes over it for the amount above it.

You can deduct paid dividend tax for foreign stocks. So the 15% tax we pay for US stocks, is deductible.

2 Likes

that tax allowance will that take into account debts (for example student loans) as well? At DUO I only can find that I need to report it but it says nowhere (or at least I can’t find it :wink: ) that it will actually take those into account, am nowhere near the 31k let alone 50k yet but one day it might come in handy to know.

Good to know, thanks.

Big up Dutch mandem, respect from UK

Debts can be deducted in box 3. So for example:

Savings account € 500,00
Investments. €1.000,00
Subtotal €1.500,00
Debts -€250,00
Total € 1.250,00

Is below 50K for 2021, so nothing taxed.

1 Like

thank you, now I understand!

Now it is official https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/belastingplan/belastingwijzigingen-voor-ons-allemaal/box-3. 50k

2 Likes

Hi guys, glad to see you!

I recently moved to the Netherlands for work and opened trading212 account with a Dutch bank account. I bought few stocks from NASDAQ for the long term. Should I declare about that somewhere asap or afterward when withdraw after selling it? Should it be registered as additional activities and how to act in the right way? I would appreciate some advices

Thank you!

You mean like capital gains?

Yes. Or I shouldn’t care about that too much?