Is it the time to dump UK stocks?

• I had over 60% profit. RR started to go down after BoJo went to Brussels and started the hard brexit rhetoric(aka Australian deal/no deal). This seems to weight more than the good news about vaccines.
  • Hard brexit would send RR down even more for sure as there would be tariffs & RR exports heavily to EU.

I will buy back RR if there is a deal or it goes back to/below ~70p. I see no reason to wait for eggs on face while the Brexit thing is still being rolling on.

2 Likes

Nice explanation. Cheers. I will keep DCA on RR then

When you look at all the Markets, the Emerging ones tend to perform better overall.

People keep saying that China is the market that will grow the most so if Commonwealth Countries target China then isn’t that good for business? (I am anti-China though due to ethics).

I don’t believe the UK will suffer that badly with No Deal in the Long Term, the issues of the Short Term make the UK Market look unappealing but perhaps the reason why the FTSE 100 underperforms is due to being in Europe? We will never know unless the UK Market looks at other options. :slight_smile:

Now I am not for or against a No Deal but I do not think the UK will be any worse off in the long term whether we get a deal or we don’t as they still have to abide by certain WTO rules.

I still believe the UK Markets will be fine and will buy into dips along the way.

That’s what I’m planning to do too!

This. 20 characters…

3 Likes

The UK market might look unappealing just now but it only takes one of the smaller EU countries like Greece to be in trouble before investors start rushing back to UK.

The case for long term damage, or more accurately lower growth or influence globally is simple. We have lost our seat at the head table, a lot of the eu direction, regs and approach was created amd drafted by the UK. Global standards, rules, regs and direction of travel will now be decided without us. Where once we could direct and meld it to our own aims, preferences and desires, now we cannot and will be an on looker reacting to change rather than creating it.

This is not a controversial thing to say. It is a direct result of our actions.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned it before to you via private message. Don’t take it personally.
It’s a public forum and we are just trying to keep it as clean as possible.
Have a joke and a laugh - sure, but keep it in line with the community guidelines.

3 Likes

I certainly understand the concern and that regulations will need to be changed, but you forget that we can and will make our own rules and regulations that either meet the same global standards or have a competitive advantage if done correctly.

Being a Sovereign nation does mean we are allowed to add more rules that benefits the country as a whole whilst also respecting the EU/US and Global rules.

There is always a give and take to these kind of things which is why the EU fear that the UK may thrive better without them.

Of course there is risk of leaving the table and having no votes on anything, we just have to accept that we gain and lose things post-Brexit.

Your comment is not contraversial at all! It is a very realistic bunch of facts that I accept and I am glad you highlighted them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That sounds more like personal political bias rather than true substance

At least it seems that I’m not the only one…

“”" Investors dump UK funds on fears of no-deal Brexit

UK equity investments bleed billions and British stocks decline in global investor portfolios “”"

Morgan Stanley also withdrew around 100B of assets to Germany of late.

Long term we’ll be fine and there will be comprise as we import a vast amount of goods from the EU.

In the short term, they’ll be turbulence as human nature does not manage uncertainty very well.

Personally I do not hold many UK stocks anyway so I’m holding and will add some on the dips.

1 Like

Yes if everyone can sell all UK stocks please, then I can get them even cheaper than they are now.

Thanks,

Hbomb

4 Likes

If anyone’s got BAE and wants to sell I would be most grateful

1 Like

UK stocks are still much attractive as they have not recovered much from Covid-19 pandemic. Regarding the EU, I do not think they will be affected much by Brexit as UK economy are much service based economy.

Brick and Mortal just account a tiny percentage of the UK financial services. Majority are under investment arm which by nature are borderless.

The company like easyJet, IAG they have offices in EU countries. So tome whne there is a dip I will buy more.

2 Likes

As Buffet once said “Be Greedy when others are Fearful”.

It’s an early Christmas present for those of us waiting to tuck in!

4 Likes

Great point! I’m pretty imbalanced with my exposure to the US market and the FX so I’ll use it as an opportunity to rebalance slightly.

2 Likes

Hoping for LGEN, QQ and BBOX take a slight tumble really as long term those will do well and provide good dividends.

However, the one Stock I want most is Keywords which is way overvalued at the moment and is more global more than anything.

LGEN is probably my largest holding at the moment. I’ve watched QQ for a while now but felt like I missed the boat as it had a hell of a run lately, hopefully another opportunity presents itself!

Is BBOX worth a look? I read somewhere that the insiders have been unloading and that worried me a little.

1 Like

QQ has a Golden Share under the UK Government so it is a pretty safe bet wherever you go in, but I would certainly watch it tomorrow.

BBOX I am not too worried about the insiders selling as it provides Warehouses for the likes of Amazon. It depends how you feel on insider selling and buying but they tend to sell when it is overpriced and buy back in at a more reasonable price.

I actually sold my positions at 160p as I wanted it in my ISA for dividends and bought back in at 157p which was good timing. It is a profitable REIT as far as I know.