Is it the time to dump UK stocks?

So what? The British Empire is one in a list of fallen Empires, Egyptian, Persian, Greek, Roman, Ottoman, Mongol, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, French, British, Russian, etc.

Some of the above last more than British Empire, and all had died.

And the British Empire isn’t 500 years. It didn’t start in 1500 and ended well before 2000.

Your mentioned article with facts doesn’t mean that UK/British Empire is a 500-old Empire, if you want account that way, Portugal and Spain started the Age of Discovery before any European country and even split the world in half for each of them in the Treaty of Tordesillas on 1494, so that way, one could say that Portugal and Spain are 700 and 600 years old Empires respectively.

European exploration outside the Mediterranean started with the Portuguese discoveries of the Atlantic archipelagos of Madeira and Azores in 1419 and 1427 respectively, then the coast of West Africa after 1434 until the establishment of the sea route to India in 1498 by Vasco da Gama. The Crown of Castile (Spain) sponsored the transatlantic voyages of Christopher Columbus to the Americas between 1492 and 1504, and the first circumnavigation of the globe between 1519 and 1522 by the expedition of Ferdinand Magellan (completed by Juan SebastiĂĄn Elcano).

It’s typical nostalgia from ancient empires, like the present-day Russians with Russian Empire, the Italians also had that phase in 1930s-1940s.

British empire is the largest to have ever existed, the British have more influence in international affairs than any other country in Europe, I am not being biased this is the truth. Whether you hate them or not. They consistently rank 1 or 2 for soft power pretty much every year. It’s not a debate.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll check it out!

I thought that the largest Empire was the Mongol Empire: :stuck_out_tongue:

The Mongol Empire of the 13th and 14th centuries was the largest contiguous land empire in history.[2] Originating in Mongolia in East Asia, the Mongol Empire eventually stretched from Eastern Europe and parts of Central Europe to the Sea of Japan, extending northward into parts of the Arctic;[3] eastward and southward into the Indian subcontinent, Mainland Southeast Asia and the Iranian Plateau; and westward as far as the Levant and the Carpathian Mountains.

Nice try :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Can you show any proof of that?

The GBP is 4th most traded currency by value, even Japan surpasses the British Pound:

Most traded currencies by value (April 2019) :
1 23x12 United States dollar USD (US$) 88.3%
2 23x15 Euro EUR (€) 32.3%
3 23x15 Japanese yen JPY („) 16.8%
4 23x12 Pound sterling GBP (ÂŁ) 12.8%
5 23x12 Australian dollar AUD (A$) 6.8%
6 23x12 Canadian dollar CAD (C$) 5.0%
7 16x16 Swiss franc CHF (CHF) 5.0%
8 23x15 Renminbi CNY (慃) 4.3%
9 23x15 Hong Kong dollar HKD (HK$) 3.5%
10 23x12 New Zealand dollar NZD (NZ$) 2.1%

(
)

1 Like

Your chart proves it :joy::joy::joy:.

What Individual European country ranks higher, this isn’t even soft power anyway

soft power can’t be measured by things like currency, territory et cetera, since those are all forms of hard power.

Literally just type In soft power

People seriously underestimate Britain even the British who are the least patriotic people you will meet. Britain is in a much better position than the EU let me assure you.

1 Like

Guess what, they are all dead.

You can compare the British Empire and Mongol Empire. The 2 largest empires, and where are they now?!

One thing still true today, is that UK is the country with more offshore territories in the world. The Tax (evasion)-friendly Empire.

I wouldn’t say it’s dead it’s just more covert in its ways. We still have valuable connections that will stay strong for centuries and are to the present day.

For sure the empire no longer exists but remnants of it still do.

For me, what matters is the GDP, and economic power. So let’s see where is UK and the other European countries in matter of economics:

Ooops, Germany economy is richest that UK

The Top 20 Economies in the World

Ranking the Richest Countries in the World

This list is based on the IMF’s World Economic Outlook Database, October 2019.

Great analysis, good luck my friend.

Even France is near to surpass UK: :smiley:

6. United Kingdom

U.K. Nominal GDP: $2.83 trillion - U.K. GDP (PPP): $3.04 trillion

7. France

France Nominal GDP: $2.71 trillion - France GDP (PPP): $2.96 trillion

This is speculative and doesn’t mean much. China has the second highest GDP in the world, you think the average Chinese person has a better quality of life than someone say in Switzerland

UK has smaller population than Germany so it’s not so simple. Also the UK posseses trident as well having a larger spend on defence historically and at present especially with the government’s latest pledge.

Having said that I don’t dispute Germany is extremely efficient and successful but I do believe the UK can surpass them outside of the EU.

1 Like

Look at the rankings yourself, I’m not getting into this discussion of Britain is or is not better than Europe.

Economically speaking:
Euro zone has a slightly lower GDP per capita (aprox 39) than UK’s 42. There are countries in europe with higher and lower GDPs per capita than the UK.

2 Likes

This is a good chart but look at Ireland, let’s remember some of these countries are funded by huge amounts of debt (France,Spain, Greece etc) so this is another variable.

Do want also to compare GDP per capita on purchasing power parity (PPP) and other economic ratios?!

Or comparing the social and development ratios?
There are 9 European countries before UK (15th rank) in HDI:

Well time will tell, none of us know, we can only make assumptions.

Let’s just cast our minds back to 2008 financial crash

Which Country and which bank was approached to assist in bailing out Lehman Brothers?
Which Country’s Finance minister and bank refused to assist in bailing out Lehman Brothers after which the world went into turmoil ?