Is Pie Order Minimum Now 1€ instead of 0.2€?!

you mean 500%

100% of say 100 euro is 100 euro.
500% of 100 euro is 500 euro, or x5 the amount.

I’m sorry but I’m struggling to understand what you mean, how will having lesser orders or larger fractional orders going to help you? You don’t clear or store or report them manually, so what’s the challenge? It’s all digital because let’s face it, otherwise it will be too difficult and expensive for you to provide anything for free to clients and especially so many.

As for non-OTC trades, your responsibility is to reliably transmit the orders to IB, which is ready to accept all valid orders, in all sizes and shapes, mind the occasional hiccups. There you have no scaling bottlenecks, at least on their side.

And markets do accept small orders in large numbers, think crypto exchanges, and fractional brokers like Robinhood, M1, IB. If equity markets support trading fractionals in future natively, it will be even better. Right now most retail trades are odd lot trades anyhow.

So I’m not making any shots in the dark. And since you’ve made the judgement call, you’ve the responsibility to also alleviate the pain caused, please consider the the post I linked above for much needed change to help make these changes reasonable.

1 Like

This is my last response on the matter and I am writing it out of respect.

You have no knowledge of the order flow and the requirements that we have, neither for the way and the purposes that which the data is used. Everything you are writing in respect to scale is speculative.

Non-OTC trades count ARE in fact limited and our first iterations of free shares giveaways, the markets (LSE, NASDQ) complained that we were making multiple small orders and we had to batch them. OTC orders can’t be batched cause they are individual.

It sounds like your assumption is that we have some sort of “sinister purpose” and are misrepresenting the truth and are just thinking of ways to make things harder for our clients? Does that make any sense?

10 Likes

Out of interest, is this why free shares are usually the exact same stock for a while? Because you buy them in bulk and then slowly distribute them over time.

2 Likes

No, not really. The selection mechanism is not technically limited. I was referring to a much older implementation to illustrate a point.
In regards to free shares, those are just the odds.

5 Likes

Yeah so 400% increase is correct. 500 EUR from 100 EUR is a 400 EUR increase, so 400%.

not hiding anything. just giving advice based on the practicality of the situation presented. if you have a problem you can just block me on my profile and never have to see my responses then we will both be happy right? :relaxed: but when I see people complaining about a small change like this, I certainly don’t see you talking as rational adults.

@adriantc it’s being very proactive to try and show her using a scaled version of your own pie, but also contributes to very slow growth in very small amounts that often get rounded to 0 because of FX fluctuations and minimum dividends etc. for about 20 a month, rather than splitting across your pie, you may see better performance in just using those portions to pick up a chunk of a few positions, then with the next deposit grab some of your other positions. at least that way each position is sizable enough for better growth and dividends and you can acquire those which are currently cheapest. both your pies will always differ due to different entry points, so when comparing the two hers will always look worse and that can be massively off putting.

pies specifically aren’t to get those with low capital profiting, they are for people who want to better manage their portfolio and even automate it so you don’t have to be so hands on. this can work for or against people with low funds. usually it works against because of the nature of trying to fill very small fractions leading to more expensive positions at large. I scaled my pies to match my current funds in my portfolio which is why I now have 3 pies with different numbers of holdings. I have an account over £5000 now and still hold no more than 17 different shares because I can keep track of those to see who is underperforming and should be cut out. my main 2 pies only have 3-4 holdings after picking the market leaders. only 1 of those pies gets autoinvest deposits.

trust would certainly be a problem if T212 suddenly said they were going to charge commission and FX fee’s etc. they gave us an official heads up in regards to the card fees which is above board so no issue there. the change to the pie is just a system feature and won’t directly cost people anything so not pre-announcing it isn’t an issue. it may indirectly mean that people who filled all the pie holding slots under the assumption that is how they are supposed to be used will need larger capital to action a pie, but you can still split a pie based on importance and find it easier to fund 2 smaller pies.

I have used the pies in various ways to see how it works in a practical application. I found that investing more than every 2weeks was unnecessary and likely to diminish returns via more averaging at all prices unless you get paid more often than every 2 weeks (most are paid monthly). I also found that all those smaller orders filled higher than had I purchased them as a single lump at the start. having too many positions isn’t practical, it’s safe, but not good for growth. unless you have given your GF all the details behind each of your picks, and she has come to the same judgement as you, then you are giving her a faulty experience of the market. they didn’t take pies away, they just adjusted the rules to use them responsibly.

you can outperform the market with just 5 stocks. the same stocks that most market funds use to make over half their total positions. :man_shrugging:

@obrienciaran my math is correct, try re-reading what I wrote. a “raise” of any amount is the multiple minus the original. they didn’t raise the minimum by £1, they moved it from 20p to £1, that is an increase of 80p, just a 400% increase.

2 Likes

If the markets have complained about the small orders and this is related to small value orders in pies, then I understand the change, even though increasing it to 1 will be inconvenient to many. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Nonetheless, for future it would be best to receive communications about changes, particularly in advance, as the first notice many members had (such as Saifali) was when they tried to fund their pie.

1 Like

I’ll also write to you out of respect, as before.

I did NOT raise any concerns about non-OTC or market trades, this is about fractionals, hence OTC trades only.

I do not know your department at T212 and role, since your profile is hidden, I’ve an assumption that you are not aware of the situation itself.

You are deliberately changing the topic with each reply and casually ignoring and not addressing directly my questions, and moreso I never said there’s a sinister purpose behind the changes, infact I showed my support and understanding and asked for reasons behind this change only and requested to alleviate the pain caused by this by prioritizing the features community is asking for. Go and read my posts and messages please!

While I may have no or limited knowledge of what T212’s protocols are, I largely understand how this works, in fact I, with my small team are developing and launching a commercial brokerage platform next year in an emerging market, with IB as the router and clearing firm. God willing.

I hope to hear from another member from the team regarding the reasoning behind this, and hopefully address some of the requests the community has been putting forward.

3 Likes

@EquityInvestor that’s basically untrue. Odd lots are very common AND that has nothing to do with fractionals, fractionals are traded in house and the broker buys them before in bulk or buys in realtime if it’s short the stock the client wants to buy as fractional.

The markets will never complain if you have a small/odd lot order, for them it’s peanuts, when they have 10s of billions in trades volume daily, it’s almost a joke. And mind you they make a small cut anyways, 1 share or a million shares.

I’m used to trade some stocks in 1-10 share size 10s of times a day with DMA to NYSE and NASDAQ, nobody knocked on my door or inbox.

And a smart broker will always anyhow buy pool of free share giveaways in bulk/lots beforehand and then just assign them later on. Webull, what I also use, gives away 10s and sometimes 100s of individual free shares to their users, they never had a problem because they buy before or in lots and assign them.

@noop surely it is reasonable to have the function of a custom investment for say 100 and let your customers pick the stocks within the pie,

rather than setting the minimum on one of my pies to be 200 due to the amount of stocks?

3 Likes

EXACTLY @Jobloggs ! This is one of the 3 features I requested to be given priority! :pray:t2:

If auto-invest/pie orders are batched then this change shouldn’t actually help, if they’re not batched then why on earth not? It is not as though this was an unimaginable scenario…

This is the same as the misguided move of deposit mechanisms ie ill-thought out and poorly executed. These sorts of things needs to be long term decisions that are well communicated far in advance, not published on Christmas Day or a handful of working days before the changes.

1 Like

This is really bad news.
First I will have to redo all the pies all over again, now that I had found a way to balance them.
Second, much more serious: I expect changes of this type to be communicated well in advance. Today you changed the minimum order value, tomorrow what? We can expect anything, and at any time without warning.
This, on a large scale and combined with the rest of the “news”, makes Trading212 completely unreliable except for investing a few pennies.

5 Likes

You’ve made me smile. In fact investing a few pennies is now the one thing you cannot do. You must invest at least £1.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s right.
And £ 1 is both the minimum and the maximum value you should invest on a broker that changes stuff overnight. Not a penny more.

1 Like

Honestly get over it. Apart from the communication this is a non issue. You’re not paying for it, expecting them to take the cost of people investing pennies into hundreds of stocks is absolutely ridiculous.

3 Likes

BTW… The same limit is on selling too. So I have to add money to the pies in order to close them down.

not true. you can export cash and all positions of a pie and then close it.

“Apart from the communication”.
Communication is the key here.

I don’t care for the minimum order, yes is annoying but simple to manage rearranging the pies.
The real problem here is that you can wake up tomorrow and something else has changed without warnings. If this is ok with you, good for you.

However no prob for me, I’ll just reduce my position here and put more money on other broker I trust more.

4 Likes