New Web App (Beta)

Nice to see that the web ui is getting some additional attention now, was it react native before as well as I recall seeing some components? On a more important note I find the whole thing a bit of a sidestep, some parts are better visually speaking while other parts are not. Love the work that you people do and I hope that I can convey everything here in a way that is actually useful for the team @Wit

Overall impression: lot of empty space yet still feels full

For all the examples I will use light mode as I feel like it illustrated the design choices best but ofc the same applies to dark/navy.

First of all and in my opinion the most important thing is that the spacing between elements is mostly removed and that depth has been mostly removed. See example:

imageimage

The background is no longer darker than the theme color so no shadow is cast by the elements in the ui, which leads to this clutter feeling that everything is on the same level. Even a very light shade of gray can already make a huge difference:
(do not forget to add back privacy mode please)

What I do like is that the side menu is put on the top, however this newly created space should be utilized as to not make it feel like I’m looking at a tablet on my desktop, make things a bit wider please to use the empty space (i.e. the portfolio chart can be a bit bigger and additional space on the investments might even give enough space to make them into a full on descriptive list including the realized gains/losses/dividends for example). Additionally I would add back the space between the different elements, makes it feel more organized.

Finally another main thing for me would be to move the account status button to the right and have notifications next to it, seems way more intuitive.
Perhaps even put the notifications on the account status button itself. (don’t really like this myself but can see a use case if the modal for account status is changed up)

• Love the asset allocation for the iShares ETFs, doing something similar for the pies to see sectors etc aggregated amongst the different ETFs/individual stocks would be really cool
  • very nice that settings now reopens through the button saving me a couple clicks when changing the same setting like theme
  • clicking on the menu tab once opened should just send you back to the tab you were originally in, i.e. close the menu tab upon a re click.
  • importing exporting investments manually into a pie should require less clicks imo (just a plus/remove icon)
  • for the advanced view I would like to reduce the number of clicks required to remove and rename a list. Double click on the name, click on the icon, and remove the cog icon and replace with a trashcan to remove.

All in all I think the new ui has great potential if you take advantage of the main feature of catering to larger screens: the space.

6 Likes