Top 5 stocks for 212 members

Mines moved a bit in the past couple of months due to the performance of various companies.

1 Like

Think my 212 accounts still roughly the same :upside_down_face:

I basically buy SMT monthly when at a discount or Long Term Global Growth, and similarly KPC when it trades > 1% discount instead of Positive Change.

It can be cheaper holding the IT rather than the OEIC due to no platform fees here.

I also do a bunch of other global equity OEICs, but sticking with what I hold on 212.

I might start with VWRP as effectively an alternative to LifeStrategy 100% but will see.

3 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this one. Agricultural chemicals is not an industry I have exposure to. I may have to open a position in this one. Just looking at the high level financials on the T212 app, the valuation, balance sheet, cash flow, and P&L look decent. Market Cap vs Revenue is sensisble, EPS is sensible, and a nice little dividend.

2 Likes

Likewise.

Do we have any theories on why the share price has dipped so much in recent months?

The biggest position in my isa right now is cash at 45%, followed by:

Just taken some profits from a position that took off over the last week or so.

I’m struggling to find the next investment or which one to add to. If I cut a loss it’s usually because I’ve somewhere better to put the money. Unexpected gains I don’t really know how to deal with.

1 Like

I’m not telling you what to do, but if you believe in the long term future of the company and you start seeing some gains, why sell at all?

What is your timeline for holding generally? If you’re more of a short term trader I get it, I’d take gains too.

1 Like

Is or should this not be part of a base line strategy. Much like how the EU rules limit the recommended exposure of OEICs to any one stock. If you had a stock that you were happy with being only 5% of your portfolio, if it rocketed to say 10%, why not top slice to limit your future exposure to the stock, should it later plummet? Essentially crystallising and locking in gains.

Yes it could continue to go up, but that’s a bit like tossing a coin and getting it right all the time. No one has a crystal ball to tell the future.

1 Like

Oh God no not this conversation again :neutral_face: I don’t think you were around this forum for the massive several hundred comment thread about holding vs selling to lock in gains. I’m having nightmares thinking of it. I am with you though, when I have the time to focus on trading, I do try buy and sell the peaks and troughs. With work commitments and life in the way though, I’m moreso heading towards the ‘buy and forget about it’ camp and am looking at a 10 year timeline. All the stocks I own I am confident will continue to rise and don’t intend to sell them until 2030 which is my own personal timeline for taking profit.

2 Likes

No don’t think I was but happy to weigh in :upside_down_face:. It’s all about setting non emotional boundaries and sticking to it. Not trying to catch a falling knife and all that malarkey.

I’m in the same campy I think, switching to ETFs and Trusts so I leave the decision in others except for stocks I personally think will out perform.

Hey. More than happy to have this conversation, it either confirms my strategy or helps me learn something.

In this specific case it was a pre-clinical stage Pharma company that just got the go-ahead for trials. Price rocketed 600 odd % and I’ve learned my lesson of not taking gains like that. I still have a core position and I plan to keep it for about 6 or 7 years since I think this one has ling term potential. This stock is only coming back down after this news though, my expectation is to buy back in a week or two and then when they announce successful trials sell into that pump.

I tend to separate investments into their own pots. Some for short term but others, like SMT for example I’ll accumulate until I retire or really need the money. I’m getting to grips with taking profits but I really struggle to average up in positions, even the longer term ones.

3 Likes

haha I remember that. there weren’t any issues on whether you choose to hold, take profit or “lock in”, since crystallizing and re-entering is a good way to raise the base cost while keeping taxable profits down each tax year. but the problem with that whole thread was the sheer lack of maths done and the claims that “locking in” would affect whether or not a 5% market raise meant £10 profit or £20 :wink: LOL

skimming such an overweight position IMO isn’t a bad policy because it’s like you got your initial investment back and you are now playing with monopoly money for that position and if it goes down you don’t suffer as large a loss and can build it back up to 5% again at less cost. I like to skim off a position that has outperformed my forecast and reinvest that into an underperformer to lower its cost average. It may not be running with the profits and gains, but for what is a rather risky portfolio to begin with, it adds a small buffer to reduce volatility.

I sold out of my SMT after a decent run because I am a bit concerned with the balance of the market currently and feel SMT could still suffer 1 more sharp drop before everything is stabilized going into 2022.

Ok in this case, if one is up 600%, I’m pretty sure it’s against the law not to sell :smiley:

I like you’re idea of dividing stocks into pots though, I do the same myself. I have an investment trust pie with Scottish Mortgage and BGCG which I do not intend to sell; likewise a pie with stocks which I intend to hold, including Deutsche Post, American Water Works, and a couple of others.

I do have a pie of a few stocks which I am tempted to open positions in purely as speculative plays, either recovering from this recent crash, or recovering from the aftermath of Covid. These are the likes of AirBnB, and IAG. In this instance, I would be looking at holding short term, 6 to 12 months.

This is certainly a good position to be in. Take out the principal, play with the house money. Though I’ve never actually done this. Nor have I rebalanced my portfolio. Except for selling the position I had in Alphabet last week to fund my BABA addiction.

I would welcome this!

2 Likes

I like the idea of playing with house money, moving gains from risky plays into low cost index trackers and the like. I was already on house money from a recent spike for that play as well. Was planning to add more but was taken by surprise this time.

I’d be happy to see an SMT dip to load the boat! Ive recently been selling out of some individual stocks, e.g. TSLA and NIO since I’ve got exposure through most BG funds I’m invested in. It’s a pretty rudimentary strategy that I’m hoping long term pays off.

I set price targets and then stops which move in line with my targets. This happens until I sell 3/4 of my stock and I let the final 1/4 run with a trailing stop.

Base my prices on price history, technicals, fundamentals and competitors.

Watch from the sidelines and act like a robot.

Depends on strategy I suppose, I look for minimum 40-50% gains.

Are you on the CFD of T212 or use a different app? I didn’t think a trailing stop was available on the invest side of T212. @Gfclappah

Never do this. Calling it house money means you’re mentally compartmentalizing the cash, so that if you lose it it doesn’t matter - “it was the houses money”. Always treat it as your money and look after it as if it was so.

3 Likes

I monitor and adjust myself basically.

1 Like

Fair enough. I used the stops and profit triggers on the CFD side and it works well.

What stocks are you in these days out of interest? You always have interesting picks. @Gfclappah

I see your point but I don’t think this is exactly fair. It’s good to not let emotions cloud your judgement. With your principal intact, you are in a sense playing with house money which does offer benefits to allow you to be more impartial and less emotionally involved.

1 Like

My larger holdings atm are probably:

Morses Club
RDSB
Lloyds
Beazley
James and Fisher (sold RR and bought this, same reward less risk IMO although I do like RR just cash burn is nasty atm).
Babcock
Ted Baker

Ones I’m dabbling in and watching while I slowly add are:

Tekmar and Quixant

I do also have GSK which I’ll sell 50% after the demerger.

2 Likes