Trading 212 Desktop App

You can view my entire project in my github repository:
Trading212DesktopApp

Description

This is my attempt to create a desktop application to see how my investments are doing. I started this project because I didn’t like that whenever I logged in from the desktop the app on my phone would kick me out.

This is a more interactive version of Python Portfolio Tracker which can also be found in my github: Trading212Portfolio.

How it works

You provide the program with your orders csv (instructions on how to download the orders csv) and it gets the current stock prices, calculates your returns and shows everything clearly without having to log in to the Trading 212 website.

Image example of program output

When you hover over a slice of the donut chart it shows you the stock ticker, the current value of this investment and the percentage of your portfolio it occupies. Click on any any ticker in the legend under the chart to remove it or add it back in the chart.

7 Likes

This is really cool, thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Code doesn’t run on my machine unfortunately but nice idea and I agree, the desktop/mobile app inability to be open at the same time is highly frustrating.

3 Likes

You need to follow the installation instructions to the letter. That’s because there is a folder called node_modules which is created by the command npx create-electron-app trading212_desktop_app This folder contains the newest node modules (which aren’t updated by me) and it isn’t a good practice to include them when uploading the code. If that isn’t the problem and you have all the neccessary dependencies then I don’t know how to help you :slight_smile:

Yeah I installed all the node modules. I’ll take a look again later with fresh eyes.

Nice idea though, well done.

2 Likes

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Users/user/Desktop/trading212_desktop_app/src/python/stockAndCurrencyData.py”, line 147, in makeStats
si.get_live_price(stocks[i])

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/yahoo_fin/stock_info.py”, line 566, in get_live_price
df = get_data(ticker, end_date = pd.Timestamp.today() + pd.DateOffset(10))

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/yahoo_fin/stock_info.py”, line 90, in get_data
raise AssertionError(resp.json())

AssertionError: {‘chart’: {‘result’: None, ‘error’: {‘code’: ‘Not Found’, ‘description’: ‘No data found, symbol may be delisted’}}}

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “”, line 11, in
dfFormattedPortfolio = stockAndCurrencyData.makeStats()

File “/Users/user/Desktop/trading212_desktop_app/src/python/stockAndCurrencyData.py”, line 157, in makeStats
symbol = data[‘quotes’][0][‘symbol’]

IndexError: list index out of range

Here is the error Python gives me after I run

npm start

I get as far as here!

1 Like

Yes, I am sorry this is my fault. It appears my code didin’t know what to do when all methods to get the stock ticker failed. I have made a fix which will prevent the program from crashing but won’t take into account the ticker that caused the crash. My guess is that you have a stock that isn’t found in convetional stock exchanges, probably a penny stock. Do you mind sharing your stocks and their isin to see if that is indeed the problem? Also, try running the updated code again to see if the problem is indeed resolved

Thank you for bringing this to me

Yeah no problem, I shared the list of 138 stocks to you in a private message.