UK Stocks Recommendations

Where did you hear or read about the dangers and abuse involved in the mining of lithium?
I’m sure we would have heard about this by now considering the rise of demand for EV and green energy, be interested to check it out.

Motley fool favour Britvic I know.

1 Like

apologies I got the lithium and cobalt mines mixed up. anyway right here Top tech companies sued over child cobalt mining deaths in Congo - YouTube as of right now tesla are still using cobalt

Any reason Diageo is down 2.3% today? Or just a pull back?

Just one of those days, people keep on telling me :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It had a really good day yesterday in fairness and the whole FTSE is just being the FTSE📉

1 Like

It is just bouncing around the 2850-3000p sorta range. But yeah the recent jump on earnings might just be a slight pullback before moving higher. I wouldnt expect big moves until economies open up more like pubs etc. If wanting to add to it I would say aim for <2900 and you should not see much below that.

Cheers guys yeah love Diageo will keep adding when I can under 3000-2900.

1 Like

if I buy any more Diageo I’ll need to start distributing leaflets in the street :slight_smile: I own exactly 999 shares now, bought it throughout 2020 when ever I saw 2400s. One of my two most bought shares this year alongside Airbus.

From September in this same thread at 2400 levels:

Healthy day for UK stocks it seems. My value play pie (TW, BP, HSBC) currently 2nd best performing pie for me.

2 Likes

It was a really good day today. Best day I have had since I started :joy:

DGE, HLMA, JET, SGE (all UK)

BME, ADYEN (European)

Have the above on my value portfolio. HL & BNZL on the watchlist as well.

Also have more speculative bets on CINE, IMB, EZJ, BATS, BP

while we’ve been playing with chinese stocks these days, DGE is hitting all time highs :man_shrugging: :hugs:

best thing about 2020 for me was the opportunity to jump on “usually expensive things” like Diageo, airbus, bank of america etc

2 Likes

Any thoughts for what to buy now - I’m currently looking at Royal Mail Group, news suggests they’re likely to pay out a 4-5% yield in 2022, and the mcap is currently sitting below nav with a low P/E of 6, compared to FedEX 13, Deutsche Post 13.5, DHL International 16.5.

Undervalued or are its competitors overvalued?

I if looking for solid companies with a decent yield I personally think Unilever (still under 4000p right now as well) and BP (on this recent dip) are good bets. Two of my largest positions so I am bias, but Unilever I think will be 4300-4500p in next year or so so a circa 10% upside and then a yearly 148p dividend for a 3.75% yield at current 3950p price. Even if that price target takes 2 years that’s a total return of about 8-9% CAGR including dividend.

BP likely a touch more volatile but they are buying back even more stock than Unilever, as well as a higher yield of 4.9% which will increase at least 4% yearly. Again as the rotation back to non high growth I can see inflows pushing BP up to north of 400p in next year or two and factoring in dividend again your looking at a high single digit CAGR.

These might be boring and no cool but I am happy to have these in portfolio to help offset the BABA, DARK etc I hold.

1 Like

One UK stock that is almost guaranteed to do well in 2022 is the hip & knee replacement Smith & Nephew.

Once covid is behind us, hospital will start dealing with backlog of hip & knee replacement that has been put on hold due to covid - let’s be fair if someone needs hip & knee replacement it wouldn’t go away unless the surgery is done.

Fortunately dumped JET not long after this post. Likewise Sage, although that’s done well.

Halma and Diageo are the only 2 UK stocks I have genuine faith in.

Have HL, Rio Tinto, Astra Zeneca as well but slightly less convinced.

From europe, I’m holding Adyen and B&M too.

Edit: all those speculative bets I mentioned are long gone now as well

I think Direct Line is a nice dividend, value play.

1 Like

I no longer hold it but I’ve always liked Relx. The Anglo-Dutch company pays a reliable 2%ish dividend. Part of me regrets selling, especially as it’s up 30% in the past year.

1 Like

To me ULVR (unilever) at the current price. It also good as a cash like instrument considering the current saving IR to be switched to growth stocks when growth stocks get much love. Also it pays dividend of around 3.90%.