Withholding Tax for a Tax Exempt Individual

So I am from the EU, and do not currently pay taxes as I am still a student. Can anyone please explain to me how the withholding tax works?
If I buy a UK stock for example, and tax is withheld, does this go to the UK government, or to my local government? As if it is the latter case, I should be exempt.
Also, where can I get the withholding tax rates for different countries and industries?

I have looked up on previous posts, but could not exactly find my answer.

Hope someone can help.

Hi :wave:,

We see why this is important for you and thus what we recommend is to get in touch with your local tax authorities, as they’d be able to inform you precisely about any tax enquiries.