BGCG trust added I’m happily surprised

Again, it all depends how many funds you are going to buy.

If you buy all 40 BG funds then sure, there’s plenty of overlap. But who is realistically buying 40 funds?

It’s VERY possible to buy a handful funds from BG without significant overlap.

Comparing BGs offerings to that of ARK, where ARKK appears to be a mix of ARKG and ARKW and there’s far more overlap in those 3 ETFs than you’ve posted above. And far more overlap in their 5 ETFs put together than all those BG offer.

You’re entitled to your own opinion, facts not so much.

So you’re expecting there to be no overlap over 40 funds?

Fact is, you can easily pick a few BG funds and don’t have to worry about much overlap, if you care to begin with.

Nope. I did not I say as much nor question that there’s more overlap between the Ark ETFs.

I’m just pointing out that there are many, many overlaps between BG’s investment trusts, contrary to your false claims that there aren’t many at all.

SMT isn’t entirely US. Mix of predominantly US and China. One European I think. Not sure what else.

No, but you ignored the fact that you can create a portfolio containing BG funds without much overlap at all. Unless of course you buy all 40, but that’s on you.

Sorry guys, but can the semantics be taken to a DM instead please? Muddying an otherwise useful thread.

1 Like

I was trying to point out something potentially useful. However, it appears my input’s not welcome, so I will refrain from posting and delete my account.

Personally I’ve SMT and China Growth fund - not too much overlap… not looked at Pacific Horizen but I’d imagine there would be some overlap there.

Unless Edinburgh investment trust is available I’m happy

1 Like

:hugs:

Good points well made. And it’s all about a) how much you believe in those overlapping companies, and b) how many of their trusts you dive into.

The BG weightings aren’t such that you get an S&P situation whereby the top 5 or 6 companies account for the majority of the overall performance.

2 Likes

And they are nice as you get to invest in unlisted companies!

2 Likes

An awesome bonus, but worth knowing that those unlisted companies are not valued in the same way public companies are. I believe they are assessed and valued for BG by an independent company on a quarterly basis. Could be wrong about the frequency… it’s mentioned in one of the podcasts in the link I shared earlier. The most recent podcast on BGCG.

2 Likes

SMT news;

3 Likes

It’s all very interesting. To be fair, those positions were getting a little large in the portfolio. Wise move to trim them a little. More interesting about their take on Facebook.
I think with Tesla it shaved around 2 to 3% off the total weight. Still massive holdings even after.

But it’s interesting to see how they approach keeping their portfolio ‘managed’. thanks for sharing

The fact that this happened just as Biden won the elections (as it was imminent lately) isn’t coincidence imho.

Thanks for sharing the news about BG!

1 Like

Surprised NIO isn’t in their listing.

It’s recently been added to SMT. I’d bet BGCG isn’t far behind.

1 Like

BGCG sells at a 20% premium to NAV right now. Me personally, I’ll be waiting for the nav to catch up before opening a position.

With the new Shares/ETF bundle coming Wednesday, I am curious as to which BG funds are being added. Do you have any information for us @David? :smiley:

I am working through the BG website, looking at holdings, returns etc. Would be nice to have an idea as to what will be available.

Many thanks.