ETF are there hidden fees?

I believe the fees and dividends are totally separate elements.

So the fee will be baked into the share price, and the dividends I assume will be the % of the share price, less the fee.

@RLX will probs be better help than me.

1 Like

I did some random searches, and no KID, like the most famous Investment Trust, SMT.

A lot of financial products are missing on that products list, Investment Trusts, ETFs, ETNs, ETC, ETPs.

For example:

• The following ETFs donā€™t even appear the T212 list (missing from T212 list): EUNL, SMH, DBPG, VOOL, ESP0, IWDE. Even doing a broader search by index providers, MSCI and FTSE, the MSCI donā€™t show any ETF and the FTSE only show 1 ETF (but have KID)

• ETC and ETNs: no Platinum and Palladium products, some Gold and Silver products are missing.

• Leverage Shares and GraniteShares ETPs list on T212 is incomplete.

• Missing Investment Trusts: MNKS, PHI, BGCG, USA, SONG, CHRY, ATT

Probably more products are missing from the T212 product list page.

If people are also choosing T212 by their products availability using that page, it can harm their decision to be a T212 customer.

The hard work of providing the legal documentation could be very lighten by a Morningstar integration that have always the updated legal documentation, besides providing extra information that can improve a better user experience and creating a bigger economic moat for T212 against their competitors.

3 Likes

Trading 212 can do what some financial institutions already done, having a Morningstar integration, that always have the updated legal documentation. It aggregates Investment Trusts, Investment Funds, ETFs, ETNs, ETCs, And also have stocksā€¦

1 Like

Whats your referral fee to Morningstar @RLX ?

is it just me or is this search very slow and hangs for anyone else? eg: try searching for something, remove it try something else, hangs and takes forever, a good job for a dev would be to optimize this so it is useable. tried on a couple of browsers/mobile. here is the link to the page they are referring to:

https://www.trading212.com/en/Trade-Equities

also another point is on mobile I canā€™t see how to get to here from the homepage since products ā†’ all instruments cant be found on mobile unless itā€™s hidden somewhere.

10 000 000 USD/per each platform customer. LOL

If every stakeholder can have better results, why be an accommodated person? I suppose everyone want more, itā€™s the human nature, the reason of the human evolution.

1 Like

This is quite true. Without displaying both accurate Key Info Docs and Costs and Charges figures (in both Ā£$ and %) Trading212 are actually in breach of regulations.

As pointed out by a few users your KIDs are often out of date or simply missing. In the App I think they are not present at all. This is at odds with the Costs and Charges Regulations.

Some have suggested a Morningstar feed. OK, but the price of regulatory data of this kind is no long controlled by the big vendors such as Morningstar anymore.

There are, for example, not many out there that can compete with Oppl.io I saw a demo of theirs recently and it does exactly what T212 would need to be compliant. Latest KIDs and latest Costs and Charges extracted via API or a CSV dump. The cost? Itā€™s free. Yep, I was amazed too. Free. Ā£0.00 They also demonstrated how incumbent vendors have significant levels of inaccuracy in their regulatory documentation feeds. Honestly, you couldnā€™t make this up. Pay thousands for a feed thatā€™s worse than a feed for Ā£0. The world has gone mad. But thatā€™s where we are. Data is no longer expensive if you go to the right place.

(and yes, Iā€™m annoyed they may have stolen the idea from meā€¦ and made it better. If anyone from Oppl.io is part of this community : give me a job!)

5 Likes

I had a good attempt at making one at finki.io

But these guys have driven the price to Ā£0. So no point competing! Oppl.io

2 Likes

I am surprised you are mentioning them if they offer similar things to you (eg. ISA Compliance, underlying holdings, etc).
Maybe brokers hadnā€™t heard about them yet.

Also, why would they do it for free? Where is the catch? Do they intend to offer paid services later?

1 Like

I donā€™t operate finKi anymore ā€¦ FinKi hasnā€™t been updated for months ā€¦ I simply do not have the time to keep it going

1 Like

Paid add-on services, analytics, and something elseā€¦ I forgetā€¦ was their answer, I thinkā€¦ I might have switched off!!! Dunno. TBHšŸ¤Ŗ

1 Like

They say data is king, and data is the next gold.

2 Likes

For the oldest people, maybe they remember the man responsible for the finance courses boom in the last century:

(Also look at the financial data terminals (& screens) in the background at the period. :slight_smile: )

For the younger people, itā€™s the movie Wall Street (1987).

The above Gordon Gekkoā€™s quote and other from him, are my favorites:

Money never sleeps.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information.

1 Like

That notion probably still stands.

For years the game has been information asymmetry. It is valuable because someone has it and you canā€™t get it.

Now the game is changing. In the same way T212 and Freetrade have driven the price of brokerage to near zero, market data looks like it is going in the same direction.

If I can hack together finki.io and provide a pretty decent service for Ā£0 - just my time and effort, then someone with more skill (Oppl.io, I assume have more skill) can drive key data points to Ā£0 too. Same as if you want dividend data, for example. I can provide it (I did). Alternatively there is divitrack.io or divvydiary.com - to name just 2. Free or nearly free. Either way it indicates a direction of travel.

Maybe the next battlefield is in broker-adjacent services? Plugging the gaps left behind by startup neobrokerages that ā€œmissā€ or ā€œmishandleā€ the regulatory challenges in launching such operations. :man_shrugging:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Ha!

I chose 1 random ETF. I picked IUKD. I checked Trading212ā€™s ā€œlatestā€ KID. It was dated 2020.

I went to iShares website. Latest KID was released in 2021.

I think we can assume the other KIDs are equally out of date.

Also, no Costs and Charges disclosures made as far as I can see.

Come on T212! Youā€™ll get picked on by the FCA (eventually) if you donā€™t comply.

4 Likes

so in summary, we are all saying there is charge, but no idea how its applied. I assume it should appear in app at some point and on monthly statementsā€¦

No. Fees are deducted from the value of the fund by the provider. You wonā€™t notice it happening.

3 Likes

Like companies (stocks), Investment Trusts, mutual/investment funds, they all take their fees and expenses during their normal operations.

1 Like

I agree, usually ETFs for example deduct it daily but as they are usually under 2% annually you donā€™t realise. At least that is my understanding.