Can we remove the arbitrary upper and lower limits on stop/loss please?

I’m trying to set myself up for the craziness that’s due tomorrow and I’m being told “value too far from the current price”. This seems completely arbitrary and unhelpful when trying to maximise gains.

how arbitrary are your planned limits? 30%? 90%?

They’re my stocks so I’ll be as arbitrary as I like thank you. It means if a stock goes up 90% then back to 40% I cannot take my full potential gains when the app is inevitably not letting me trade.

4 Likes

there are reasons for limits being imposed. just because you want to set wild values doesn’t mean them being stopped is “arbitrary”.

in case you aren’t aware, nobody gets “full potential gains” and it has nothing to do with the limits to how far you can set a stop loss.

the same thing has been requested on and off for a couple of months now and T212 hasn’t said they are going to do so across the board.

1 Like

Ok, I feel like you’re being very rude and condescending here for no reason. Why are you even commenting here if it’s nothing constructive? Clearly the values aren’t wild given stocks increase by that and more everyday.

5 Likes

Although @Dao may come across that way at times he really is only trying to help and explain things that’s asked and answered by him and others 100s or times lol I’m guilty of it and will be no doubt in the future.

Guessing you are trying to set them in CFD mode?

nope just my normal ISA and investment accounts.

1 Like

Can you not do a stop-limit instead?

that’s what I’m asking about, it doesn’t let you set the value more than 50% change or something. I don’t see why we don’t get free reign to set what we want. Hence why I’m here making the suggestion and getting attacked by Dao for some reason.

If you don’t mind me asking which stock is it and what price you trying to set it at? Is it a short term trade or intraday?

I’m trying to set my BB and GME so it sells high tomorrow morning if it spikes again. Doesn’t let me choose the values, “end of day” or “GTC” don’t alter what it does and doesnt let me set.

Because of the volatility no doubt. Just be careful on the gaps though at open. I personally don’t use them as can be a nightmare but, I was able to place a limit sell on GME for 1000 just there now so don’t know why you can’t?

Second that. If the market can set off the stop orders with them momentary blips then it’s the least the platform could do. They shouldn’t have a problem with an individual setting a limit sell as far up as one likes. Setting these kind of limit orders also help limit cases of 100%+ float being shorted. How whacky and incredibly complex is that? Esp. with options in play…

1 Like

There’s another thread where I was asking @Rumen about it. Basically it’s a situation where various exchanges have max limits from the current prices on distance but IB haven’t bothered to document what that value is so it’s a trial and error on how far to set. Which seems insane to me as a dev.

And a possible sticky plaster to automate trying to set limits

1 Like

@jaxkxt Name the instruments you are referring to, please.

jaxkxt

5h

I’m trying to set my BB and GME so it sells high tomorrow morning if it spikes again. Doesn’t let me choose the values, “end of day” or “GTC” don’t alter what it does and doesnt let me set.

I have increased the maximum distances for both of those instruments.

1 Like

@jaxkxt there you go :slight_smile: sorted

Can we please do the same for AMC?

@Stuart92 The distance for AMC is corrected as well.